Thread: Xiaomi Mi Play on Cricket? (Question about bands)

Feedback Score

Xiaomi Mi Play on Cricket? (Question about bands)

Curious if anyone can clear things up for me. I am interested in the Xiaomi Mi Play as a back up. Looking at the the supported bands in the specs I am unsure if I will get full function out of the phone on Cricket (AT&T). According to the fine print at Newegg, it says it will work on AT&T. I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mn1968; 06-27-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1968 View Post
    Curious if anyone can clear things up for me. I am interested in the Xiaomi Mi Play as a back up. Looking at the the supported bands in the specs I am unsure if I will get full function out of the phone on Cricket (AT&T). According to the fine print at Newegg, it says it will work on AT&T. I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
    It only has one of AT&T's LTE bands - band 5. Band 5 is not AT&T's primary LTE band, band 12/17 is. I would expect this phone to perform poorly in the US.

For $200 you can get a Moto G6 that is very compatible with all the US networks.

If it is the dual SIMs that intrigue you, some of the Blu phones have that and work on AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It only has one of AT&T's LTE bands - band 5. Band 5 is not AT&T's primary LTE band, band 12/17 is. I would expect this phone to perform poorly in the US.

For $200 you can get a Moto G6 that is very compatible with all the US networks.

If it is the dual SIMs that intrigue you, some of the Blu phones have that and work on AT&T.
    That's kind of what I figured.

I am familiar with the Moto phones and like them but the G6 is larger than I like/want. I prefer a phone under 6 inches length - about the size of the Moto E4, or Xiaomi Mi Play referenced in the first post.

Feedback Score

I am familiar with the Moto phones and like them but the G6 is larger than I like/want. I prefer a phone under 6 inches length - about the size of the Moto E4, or Xiaomi Mi Play referenced in the first post.
    Yeah, I don't like the trend that too many phones are getting bigger and bigger. I much prefer phones in the 4.5 to 5 inch screen size. The Moto G6 with its glass case is too heavy too.

For a backup phone I would consider one of the HSN bundles. They have several phones in the 4.5 to 5.1 inch range for $80-$90. The bundle includes the phone, a year of service, and 1,500 each talk minutes, texts and data MB. It's Tracfone service. I think most of those phones use Verizon.

https://www.hsn.com/shop/tracfone-ce...s/ec0373-10962

Feedback Score
    I would not recommend a Motorola phone. After 9 months of promising (actually more since before pie was released) Android 9 for their flagship Z2 Force phones, just announced they will only be releasing it for the Verizon version. They are really getting bad in their support for software updates to phones. This phone was a flagship and they aren't even gonna support an o/s update on a phone that is less than 2 years old.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

I agree with you on phone size. The Moto E4 and LG-G6 are the perfect size phones for my uses. Been lugging a Huawei Mate SE around for a few months and just not getting used to it. The Moto Z2 Force was way to bulky. I guess if I used my phone to play games i'd feel differently.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    For a backup phone I would consider one of the HSN bundles. They have several phones in the 4.5 to 5.1 inch range for $80-$90. The bundle includes the phone, a year of service, and 1,500 each talk minutes, texts and data MB. It's Tracfone service. I think most of those phones use Verizon.
    I guess I should clarify what I mean for a backup...I mean when/if my daily phone dies/breaks, I will have a backup to use until I get a new phone. I am not interested in having a backup phone with another service for whatever reason..although, I suppose I already have that as we have a paygo H2O phone we use for our rental units/tenants to call.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I agree with you on phone size. The Moto E4 and LG-G6 are the perfect size phones for my uses.
    I see I can get a LG G6 for a real good price on eBay. I may pull the trigger on that. Only thing I don't care for is the glass back but I guess I can use a case.
    Last edited by mn1968; 06-28-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    How important is band 17? I'm looking at a mi 9, these a re the bands it supports. Would it work on crickets network?

GSM 2G GSM, GPRS, EDGE: 850, 900, 1900 MHz
    GSM 3G/3.5G UMTS, HSPA+: 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz
    4G LTE LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 28, 38, 39, 40 Bands

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumdristig View Post
    How important is band 17? I'm looking at a mi 9, these a re the bands it supports. Would it work on crickets network?

GSM 2GGSM, GPRS, EDGE: 850, 900, 1900 MHz
    GSM 3G/3.5GUMTS, HSPA+: 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz
    4G LTELTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 28, 38, 39, 40 Bands
    If it does 12, you'll be fine - AT&T broadcasts 17 as 12 via MFBI for compatibility with more phones (12 contains the entire spectrum of 17 and then some) - you can use a 12 device with 17, but you can't do the opposite (i.e. an old iPhone 6 on T-Mobile).

About the only ones you're missing are 14, 29, 30, and 66, all of which are kinda the "extra capacity" and/or "optional" (depending on who you ask) AT&T bands. 14 is being rolled out with FirstNet so will eventually offer coverage in new areas, but many phones still don't support it.