Thread: Cricket branded LG X Power- will Wifi calling work on other networks?

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score

Cricket branded LG X Power- will Wifi calling work on other networks?

My wife has a cricket branded LG X Power that she has been using since launch. I'm considering unlocking it and selling/donating to someone who'd like to use it on T-mobile. But I'm curious, would it work as well on T-mobile as it did on Cricket once unlocked?
    I was asked if it supports wifi calling since coverage here is weak. This was Cricket's first WiFi calling phone, but what I'm not clear about is if their WiFi calling system is different from T-mobile and/or only compatible with Cricket's? I can't seem to find any information about this variant re: things like what bands it supports either. Most of the information I find on Google is for the CDMA Xfinity version.
    Can anyone help shed some light on the subject?
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Feedback Score
    this phone will only work on cricket for wifi calling. a tmobile phone will not do wifi calling on cricket. this has to do with the carrier software that is installed in the phone. you would need to put tmobile software on the phone or a custom software that would allow this to work the way you want it to work.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Hang on a second-
    I know T-mobile phones won't wifi call on cricket, that's because AT&T/Cricket is picky. The reverse isn't true. Cricket doesn't let any phones that aren't in their list to access it. T-mobile doesn't do that, random unlocked phones like the Moto series connect to it and WiFi call just fine. It is one of the many things I've been jealous of T-mobile users about. They don't seem to stick to just their list like AT&T/Cricket does. Which is why I thought maybe a Wifi capable phone from AT&T might work on T-mobile. But you're saying the carrier branding might block it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    Hang on a second-
    I know T-mobile phones won't wifi call on cricket, that's because AT&T/Cricket is picky. The reverse isn't true. Cricket doesn't let any phones that aren't in their list to access it. T-mobile doesn't do that, random unlocked phones like the Moto series connect to it and WiFi call just fine. It is one of the many things I've been jealous of T-mobile users about. They don't seem to stick to just their list like AT&T/Cricket does. Which is why I thought maybe a Wifi capable phone from AT&T might work on T-mobile. But you're saying the carrier branding might block it?
    Some people have had success with these steps on phones like the OnePlus.

I used a Sprint Galaxy S7 (G930P) that was carrier unlocked and flashed to the AZ (Cricket) firmware. Since my phone updated while on Sprint, I had to the use the b8 version, but my other S7 is running the b4 version of Oreo and gets the same results.

Things you need:

A Cricket (AT&T) ANDROID [iOS and Android provisioning appears to be different for features] phone that supports VoLTE and WiFi Calling (I used the Moto e5 cruise because it was free/cheap)

An unlocked phone that supports VoLTE and WiFi Calling (you can freely flash firmware between S7,S8,S9 so this may help too.

Read below step 11 for some IMEI suggestions

Put your SIM card in the cricket phone. It should activate it and place that phone on your account.

Take the SIM out and put it into your unlocked phone. Those features will work for a bit, but your online account should reflect BYOD Phone. After a few hours, the features will stop and say you are not provisioned for wi-fi calling/volte. Make sure it is reflecting your BYOD phone before proceeding.

Next, write down the IMEI of the cricket phone. *#06# on Android

Go to cricketwireless.com and scroll down to chat at the bottom of the page.

You'll need your phone number and PIN number too for the chat

Say something like, "You want to reprovision your phone because the online account is not reflecting it as correct."

It should give you an option to connect to agent

Tell the agent that you tried an unlocked phone and it didn't work, so you put the SIM back into your cricket phone and it is still displaying your BYOD Phone as info. Ask them if you can have them provision XXX-XXX-XXXX to IMEI for such and such phone. The IMEI number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It is very important that you didn't remove the SIM card from the unlocked phone. Just leave it in...this is the key step. Also, keep the cricket phone off too. You can leave the unlocked phone on.

After a minute, your online account should reflect the cricket phone and your unlocked phone should say that changes were made to your account and you are eligible for Wi-Fi calling if your cricket phone supported it.

Tell chat you see the changes and thank them for their time.

IMEI Suggestions: Since this numbers are public on Youtube and came back clean on Swappa, I assume they are cleared for here. They are for the Moto e5 cruise, which supports both VoLTE and WiFi calling.

https://youtu.be/cwB3PzUdZZ0?t=48 IMEI posted in video is 351840090487095

https://youtu.be/x1svNlU0tg4?t=59IMEI posted in video is 351840090485123

These steps worked for me and so far it has been going for a week and a half and has survived multiple reboots. SIM swapping only got me about an hour or two of use. I did two phones at once, but you probably should have a separate phone for each and one that you aren't going to use anything soon. For my S7, it may work with the U firmware, but the Cricket firmware has very little to no bloatware and voicemail works out of the box.

__________________________________________________ _________

If you are on an unlocked carrier free firmware, hotspot may work without issue. Since I flashed the Cricket firmware, mine does not. As someone mentioned, PDANet/FoxFi may work, but I've read that Cricket can tell you are using a hotspot and have seen stories about accounts getting closed. For me, there is an app called NetShare in the google play store. Instead of creating a hotspot, it shares your phone data through WiFi Sharing. You will have to change the internet proxy on your computer to get it to work, but it works flawlessly and will be undetected...however, using 200 gigs a month will not.

I hope this info helps someone! You are probably looking at around 30 minutes of time to get VoLTE working with the steps above. If you decide to follow the steps and then remove your SIM into another phone, you'll have to repeat it again for it to work.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Ah, see this is about getting it to work on Cricket. I'm talking about vice versa. But still good information- what you are saying is that the features SHOULD work universally, it is just that the carrier refuses to provision them appropriately.