Thread: eSIM is available for Freedom Mobile

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score

eSIM is available for Freedom Mobile

I don't recall if Freedom Mobile ever announced eSIM support. It is listed on both Apple and Freedom Mobile website. Has anyone set it up successfully on your account? How does it work?

Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk
    Freedom Mobile Promo 50 Everywhere Canada

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I finally set it up successfully, but it took an entire billing cycle because I stupidly went into a Freedom location to have them do it the first time I tried.

Here was my experience:
    I went into a Freedom store a few days after buying my iPhone 11 on launch day from the Apple Store and tossing my regular Freedom SIM into it. It was working fine. I told the lady I wanted to switch to an eSIM. She said she'd never done it before but she would try (I should have seen this as a red flag). She went to some page on her computer, tried to set it up, and immediately the phone went to "no service." After a couple of minutes she said "I guess it's not working" and switched me back to a regular SIM.

What she didn't tell me - because she didn't know, and apparently nobody who works for Freedom knows this because I spent hours dealing with multiple stores and 611 who couldn't figure out what was wrong - is that if you switch to eSIM and then switch back, you have to wait an entire billing cycle before you can try again. I wish I had known that you only get one chance and if the person doing it for you screws it up, that's it for a whole month. If you try again, all you or any Freedom employee will get is some random "Server Error" which doesn't explain anything. I only found out about the billing cycle thing because someone on another message board mentioned it.

Anyway, after my billing cycle switched over I decided not to risk another inexperienced store employee and found out you can actually make the switch yourself on the Freedom Mobile website (has to be the desktop site, won't work on the mobile site). I followed the instructions from this reddit thread and it worked like a charm.

TLDR don't go to a Freedom store, do it yourself online if you want to make sure it's done right.

As far as actually using the eSIM goes, it's fantastic. My work phone is through Bell and now I don't have to carry two phones around because I can just have my Bell SIM in the phone and choose which number to dial/iMessage from, and which SIM's data I want to use. It's totally seamless. It's also super handy for places where Freedom doesn't have coverage. Despite all the hassle setting it up I highly recommend this for people who have Freedom as their personal line but have a real carrier as their work line.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not sure if I understand you correctly. Did you say once you switch to a physical Sim after an esim you would have to wait for an entire billing cycle to switch to another esim?

I switched to esim on my pixel 3xl back to July and it turned out 3xl didn't support dual sim dual standby. I sold it two days later and grabbed a physical Sim at corp store without any issues.

I switched to esim on iPhone xr on October 22 and sold it on 24. I bought an iPhone 11 from a corp store with a physical Sim on 25, i.e. first day of my billing cycle and switched to esim right after back home. I did all three switches by myself at home. Maybe I didn't have to wait until next billing cycle because I switched on the first day of new billing cycle?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
    Not sure if I understand you correctly. Did you say once you switch to a physical Sim after an esim you would have to wait for an entire billing cycle to switch to another esim?

I switched to esim on my pixel 3xl back to July and it turned out 3xl didn't support dual sim dual standby. I sold it two days later and grabbed a physical Sim at corp store without any issues.

I switched to esim on iPhone xr on October 22 and sold it on 24. I bought an iPhone 11 from a corp store with a physical Sim on 25, i.e. first day of my billing cycle and switched to esim right after back home. I did all three switches by myself at home. Maybe I didn't have to wait until next billing cycle because I switched on the first day of new billing cycle?

To clarify, you can only generate one eSIM per billing cycle - it’s not the “switching” from eSIM to physical SIM that triggers the wait, it’s the generating of the eSIM QR code. You generated one eSIM on Oct 22nd - near the end of your billing cycle - and a second eSIM on Oct 25th - the beginning of a new billing cycle - which is why you didn’t have any issues.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
    I don't recall if Freedom Mobile ever announced eSIM support. It is listed on both Apple and Freedom Mobile website. Has anyone set it up successfully on your account? How does it work?

Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk
    Depending what store you go into, there are those that are trained and those that aren't. The ones in Vernon and Kelowna are trained how to add an eSIM properly. I am unsure of the other locations. on Black Friday 2019 they were adding eSIMs to i11s and XRs with nearly every transaction.
    As soon as someone says "I'll try" that should be a full stop red flag warning.
    eSIM can only be generated 1 time per month due to fraud prevention, physical sim can be changed out as many times as need be. As long as you aren't with Telus or Koodo (who doesn't support eSIMs), you should be able to do an eSIM no problem. It's not standard practice everywhere to generate an eSIM. I't sone of those taining notes things that almost nobody asks for so not all staff are trained on it. It kinda sucks but there's the Tee

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Briar_17 View Post
    Depending what store you go into, there are those that are trained and those that aren't. The ones in Vernon and Kelowna are trained how to add an eSIM properly. I am unsure of the other locations. on Black Friday 2019 they were adding eSIMs to i11s and XRs with nearly every transaction.
    As soon as someone says "I'll try" that should be a full stop red flag warning.
    eSIM can only be generated 1 time per month due to fraud prevention, physical sim can be changed out as many times as need be. As long as you aren't with Telus or Koodo (who doesn't support eSIMs), you should be able to do an eSIM no problem. It's not standard practice everywhere to generate an eSIM. I't sone of those taining notes things that almost nobody asks for so not all staff are trained on it. It kinda sucks but there's the Tee

You dont need to go to store.

You can do eSIM online through the website on Freedom...

Telus and Koodo have been supporting eSIM for the past almost 2 months.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I was able to generate esim from my account from last October.