Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just bought an Alcatel MyFlip from PP

Feedback Score

Just bought an Alcatel MyFlip from PP

I have a PP account I use for backup, plus I've had it forever and like the number. I also like that it's not T-Mobile or AT&T, in case my wife and I are caught without coverage.

And, I have almost $200 in the account at this point, and hate to give that up.

I have an old Samsung VZW flip phone (from the OLD days of buying VZW prepaid phones at Wal Mart). Primarily we carry it on vacation. Works great, except I imagine it will stop working the end of this year (although we've heard nothing specific from PP).

I've been looking for a replacement, but PP had nothing but candybar smartphones. I don't want that; I want a flip phone for this application. I was about to go the Ebay route when tonight I found the Alcatel MyFlip on their web site.

$20. How could you go wrong. I ordered it.

A few weeks ago I ordered a SIM card kit, in preparation for finding a phone somewhere. Now this one is coming, so I'm all set.

I wasn't sure PP would ever officially offer a flip phone. I'm glad they decided to.

Feedback Score
    I also just bought an Alcatel MyFlip myself from PagePlus for pretty much the reasons you mentioned. I needed a phone that supports VoLTE and will work once Verizon shuts off its CDMA network. My old 3G slider and flip phones obviously have to be replaced.

So far I'm pretty happy with the MyFlip. People should realize that the phone is Tracphone branded and comes with a Tracfone SIM. PagePlus had no problem activating the phone with the included Tracfone SIM. By the way, the phone is brand new (not a refurb) in case that's not clear when reading the PagePlus website.

The positives. The call quality with HD voice is great compared to what I was used to using the old 3G phone. The build quality of the phone is also not bad considering the low price. The phone's battery is user replaceable (to me that's a big plus). Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find that data tethering works out of the box on this phone when you attach it to a computer via a USB cable. You don't need to install a special app for tethering. (Tethering isn't a feature I expect to use, but it could conceivably be useful in an emergency.)

A couple of issues. I don't think I have MMS working with the MyFlip, but that's not a feature I normally use. (Maybe PagePlus simply has MMS disabled on my account? Or maybe PagePlus didn't provision this phone for MMS correctly when activating it. I'm not sure.) Another issue is that it took a bit of effort to get the MyFlip to pair with the Bluetooth in my car, but I think I now have that working.

Overall, I'd say that the Alcatel MyFlip is a good choice for PagePlus customers looking for a 4G flip phone. If you ever need to buy this phone in a hurry, Walmart and Dollar General carry it in retail packaging. It's the same unit: Tracfone branded with a Tracfone SIM. I ordered mine from PagePlus; shipping was free, and it shipped from Grand Prairie, Texas via UPS ground.

Feedback Score
    Got one to replace my mothers old flip back on Black Friday at Best Buy for $9. Some Dollar Generals have them right now for $14. But it is a great phone for the price even at $20. Yes, Page Plus phones are Tracfones, so pick up a Vzw compatible Tracfone anywhere and you're good to go on PPC. I've always found the phones on the PP website to be pricier then the same Tracfone at a local store. Also PPC SIMs are actually Tracfone SIMs. If you every want to BYOP just get a Tracfone SIM kit at Best Buy for $1 and you're good to go.

Device(s)
    LG G5 (AT&T Branded H820)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Can any of you folks update us on how well you like your Alcatel Myflip after a few months. I'd like to upgrade my mom's cdma flip phone, but have read terrible reviews on this phone. I know I'm probably stuck once I upgrade.

It doesn't look like there's may options for flip phones for older people these days.

Thanks,

Matt

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matts2009 View Post
    Can any of you folks update us on how well you like your Alcatel Myflip after a few months. I'd like to upgrade my mom's cdma flip phone, but have read terrible reviews on this phone. I know I'm probably stuck once I upgrade.

It doesn't look like there's may options for flip phones for older people these days.

Thanks,

Matt
    I know my grandma is alright with the MyFlip. The ZTE Z233VL was really bad and buggy for my grandma tho. She just wishes she can find a more basic phone tho.

Feedback Score
    Thumbs up here on the MyFlip for a basic flip replacement. Like advcomp, I tried the ZTE Z233VL first and found it bad and buggy.
    Always great calls with the MyFlip. And it has wifi. Though any web stuff is a pain on a basic phone.

As mentioned in other threads it doesn't support VVM and when activated you'll get some weird texts instead of the basic VM notice. Some CS reps can reset it to basic VM which I had done. But somewhere along the line it reverted back to VVM and the texts. I think it was when PPC did a mass SIM re-provisioning; not sure. But I never contacted them to change it back, I just know when I get a text like that I have a VM.

Only downside of the MyFlip is it's small battery size. Need to recharge often. I found that you can't use battery saving mode since it turns off "all" data and since this is a cdma-less phone you can't make a call. You don't need "all" data on for a call, but battery saver turns the data "element" off that you need for VoLTE. Guess that's a bug.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You don't need "all" data on for a call, but battery saver turns the data "element" off that you need for VoLTE. Guess that's a bug.
    Not a bug, but a simplification of the data controls a smartphone has (and needs). Not much reason to have data off on these simple phones. There is not much that uses it besides VoLTE calls, and that does not use the data bucket. I would imagine the data bucket could accumulate a large balance over time. Anybody see this on their balances?

Edit: Forget what I said about a "data bucket". Was thinking of the Tracfone 3 bucket system and not PPC PayGo. PPC monthly plans still have a data bucket.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 09-11-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    is there anyway to make it vibrate stronger ?

the phone is in my pants pocket and I work in a noisy place , so having it vibrate more would help....
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    There is not much that uses it besides VoLTE calls, and that does not use the data bucket. I would imagine the data bucket could accumulate a large balance over time. Anybody see this on their balances?
    I noticed on all my VoLTE phones, even the smart ones, on which I always have data off; that I get a 2kb data charge once a week. Even with the phones unused. Not enough to be concerned since that's only .1 Mb a year. Just wonder what that's all about ?

Note that when I do make a call in addition to the minutes it does charge a couple kb data too. Again, insignificant. Doesn't charge any $, just shows in my usage record.
    This on PPC PayGo.

Feedback Score
    Note that when I do make a call in addition to the minutes it does charge a couple kb data too. Again, insignificant. Doesn't charge any $, just shows in my usage record. This on PPC PayGo.
    You must not be using VVM on anything. The downloaded audio file is around 100KB as I remember seeing when first getting it last year. Can't verify that now, as whatever method I was using went away with the Oreo upgrade. Google changes the Settings menus with every OS version.

The MyFlip can't download the VVM audio file, so does not have the data charges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You must not be using VVM on anything. The downloaded audio file is around 100KB as I remember seeing when first getting it last year. Can't verify that now, as whatever method I was using went away with the Oreo upgrade. Google changes the Settings menus with every OS version.

The MyFlip can't download the VVM audio file, so does not have the data charges.
    I know the Flip can't do VVM but have it on my E4, but if it's from an unknown number I don't download them anyway. The couple I have downloaded were only maybe 20secs long and not near 100kb if I recall.

The 2kb data per week I mentioned is like clockwork, every 7 days; without even using either the Flip or the E4 for anything. I can go weeks without using one phone or the other. So was just wondering what's causing that. Maybe the carrier reaching out to auto-pair or check the IMEI/SIM pairing (?)

And was just pointing out that a smidgen of data is used in addition to minutes with VoLTE.

Feedback Score

Just bought an Alcatel MyFlip from PP

The Alcatel Go Flip and the Coolpad Snap are a bit too hard to use for folks who want a simple phone. The feedback from the display is confusing inconsistent.

The menus and soft buttons are constantly changing depending what screen you are on.

It’s like someone squashed down Android and put it on a tiny phone and never gave a thought that folks might have trouble with all the dynamic menus and pop-up messages and sluggishness.

I think the place they missed it is here:
    -A good flip phone does not need a screen. Everything can be done by the buttons. The buttons have clear distinct uses.
    -The screen should serve the buttons and give immediate feedback. ( It seems like in this case the OS is dominant and the buttons secondary. User Experience is an afterthought.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    I'm not seeing this Alcatel My Flip on the PP website. Did they sell out? I will eventually need to replace the 3G phone I'm using for an office line for voice-only calls and I was hoping to buy one of those. I guess I should have purchased it when it was still available.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I'm not seeing this Alcatel My Flip on the PP website. Did they sell out? I will eventually need to replace the 3G phone I'm using for an office line for voice-only calls and I was hoping to buy one of those. I guess I should have purchased it when it was still available.
    Just go to Best Buy, Walmart or other local big box. Tracfone, and any other TF companies have the same phone. Sometime cheaper. There's allot available. Been mentioned here before. Those can all be activated on PPC.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    Just go to Best Buy, Walmart or other local big box. Tracfone, and any other TF companies have the same phone. Sometime cheaper. There's allot available. Been mentioned here before. Those can all be activated on PPC.
    Thanks rpz1. Yes, I have a BestBuy gift card so I'll purchase one on the BB website. It comes with the Tracfone SIM card. Do I use that SIM card or should I purchase a PP SIM card? It probably doesn't make any difference, right? For what it's worth, I'm not doing a new activation, I'm doing what used to be called an ESN change from a CSMA dumphone to this MyFlip.

Thanks again for your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast