Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best europe roaming SIM data deal?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIntruder View Post

(Tip #1, don't buy from the SIM Local shop, which charges an additional 5 GBP, and will also install it if needed. Get the same SIM for less next door at the WH Smith bookstore. I trust that those here know how to swap a SIM themselves. ...
    Thank u for your detailed very useful report!

Just to confirm, when u mentioned local shop and the WH Smith bookstore, were u referring to the stores inside the airport terminal?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Thank u for your detailed very useful report!

Just to confirm, when u mentioned local shop and the WH Smith bookstore, were u referring to the stores inside the airport terminal?
    Yes, in the arrival hall of Terminal 3, literally next door neighbors.

There are SIM Local and WH Smith shops scattered throughout the airport, as well as vending machines dispensing SIM cards, but I didn't really look at those.

London was mainly an entry/exit city for me, so I didn't have much time there, or enough to seek out other options from the carrier stores or other retailers. But the captive airport options worked out fine.

I had also read that only one of the carriers had undertaken the effort to provide coverage in the Underground (with others planning to follow suit), but I didn't have any issues trying to check nav directions, at least along the Picadilly and Central lines I rode.

In trying to recall the trouble spots, the only one that stood out was the lodging in Rome, and maybe a couple others where it dropped to 3G and data was slow or didn't work, but those were minor. Segments of the Eurostar from London to Amsterdam were spotty, with 2-3 network changes traversing the countryside, but Paris to London was well-covered with 4G (no surprise, given its popularity), as was most of the other areas.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Took a look at the 3 Big Value Bundles at Vodafone UK site & they are offering Double-Data til Sept.30th. One requirement that may not be strictly enforced in their “Terms” is that you must be a resident of the UK. Since you were able to purchase your Big Value Bundle, I would assume all they need is a UK address (ie. hotel address)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by f13dfx View Post
    Took a look at the 3 Big Value Bundles at Vodafone UK site & they are offering Double-Data til Sept.30th. One requirement that may not be strictly enforced in their “Terms” is that you must be a resident of the UK. Since you were able to purchase your Big Value Bundle, I would assume all they need is a UK address (ie. hotel address)?
    (Sorry for the delay, I don't frequent this place consistently)

I just bought the SIM at Heathrow airport and popped it in an unlocked iPhone. After some minor configuration (change the APNs to PP.xxxx) it just worked, No registration. No need to download their app unless you want to.

I imagine (but doubt) they could require some proof of residency if one wished to renew the plan beyond 30-days, but I suspect a UK-based payment requirement would take care of that. And even then, as I think I noted before, one in my part was able to add credit with a U.S. credit card.

Also doubt these SIMs/Plans would be sold at places like an airport without some inkling that they might be purchased by non-UK residents.

Feedback Score
    I am on vacation in Spain and prepaid data here is dirt cheap. I bought a Prepaid SIM with 3 GB/month for 5 euros. Bigger options are dirt cheap, I just don’t need more. Excellent coverage everywhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
    I am on vacation in Spain and prepaid data here is dirt cheap. I bought a Prepaid SIM with 3 GB/month for 5 euros. Bigger options are dirt cheap, I just don’t need more. Excellent coverage everywhere.
    Name of company, label on SIM card?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    As far as topping-up the Vodafone prepaid UK sim card loaded with a Big Value Bundle, can you not purchase a prepaid credit card (ie. VISA or Mastercard) in the UK and use that for topping-up?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2