Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 100 MHz block of 2.5 GHz spectrum to be auctioned.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

100 MHz block of 2.5 GHz spectrum to be auctioned.

Verizon this spectrum has your name on it!

According to the FCC Report and Order:

Specifically, we transform the regulatory framework governing the 2.5 GHz band (2496-2690 MHz), which is the single largest band of contiguous spectrum below 3 gigahertz. Too much of this spectrum, which is prime spectrum for next generation mobile operations, including 5G has lain fallow for more than twenty years. That ends today.

VentureBeat article here: https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/19/f...5g-on-july-10/

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dffdce View Post

Specifically, we transform the regulatory framework governing the 2.5 GHz band (2496-2690 MHz), which is the single largest band of contiguous spectrum below 3 gigahertz. Too much of this spectrum, which is prime spectrum for next generation mobile operations, including 5G has lain fallow for more than twenty years. That ends today.

Is that the same 2.5 like Sprint has?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Is that the same 2.5 like Sprint has?

Yes it is.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dffdce View Post

Since T-Mobile an Sprint got Verizon and at&t effectively barred form much of the 600 MHz auction T-Mobile assuming the merger goes trough should be barred from participating in this auction seeing how much 2.5 Mhz they already have

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If the vote passes in July, two block sizes will be offered at auction — 100MHz and 16.5MHz — and bidders will be able to buy blocks on a county-by-county basis.

So basically only 1 carrier will get 2.5 GHz spectrum that's worth anything. Though the 16.5 MHz might be of some value to T-Mobile/Sprint since they can get merge that with the 2.5 GHz they already have. So either at&t or Verizon will be left out

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    If the vote passes in July, two block sizes will be offered at auction — 100MHz and 16.5MHz — and bidders will be able to buy blocks on a county-by-county basis.

So basically only 1 carrier will get 2.5 GHz spectrum that's worth anything. Though the 16.5 MHz might be of some value to T-Mobile/Sprint since they can get merge that with the 2.5 GHz they already have. So either at&t or Verizon will be left out
    Your are right cause 100 mhz of it is only one 5G however, is likely they will want it to be split thru companies. Just like TMO might have to give up some of Sprints currently holdings

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Your are right cause 100 mhz of it is only one 5G however, is likely they will want it to be split thru companies. Just like TMO might have to give up some of Sprints currently holdings

If they wanted it split they would have offered it in two 50 MHz blocks. It doesn't make sense for say Verizon to win it at auction and then the FCC says they have to split it with at&t. That's not how auctions work. Whoever wins it gets it all. As I said, other than T-Mobile/Sprint I'm not sure who would be interested in 16.5 MHz. What would Verizon or at&t do with that if they lost out on the 100 MHz?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If they wanted it split they would have offered it in two 50 MHz blocks. It doesn't make sense for say Verizon to win it at auction and then the FCC says they have to split it with at&t. That's not how auctions work. Whoever wins it gets it all. As I said, other than T-Mobile/Sprint I'm not sure who would be interested in 16.5 MHz. What would Verizon or at&t do with that if they lost out on the 100 MHz?
    I think there is some locations where Sprint might only a 15 mhz carrier so maybe them. Other your are right

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's some juicy spectrum. It's immediately usable too, as it's within the existing LTE B41, which basically all phones already have. It's TDD, but I wonder if it could be configured as purely downlink with CA?

The smaller chunk is a 15mhz TDD channel of B41. Considering how crafty carriers are getting with spectrum, another 15mhz TDD channel would add quite a bit of capacity to Verizon's network in many areas. Obviously 5 20mhz channels would add a lot more.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    That's some juicy spectrum. It's immediately usable too, as it's within the existing LTE B41, which basically all phones already have. It's TDD, but I wonder if it could be configured as purely downlink with CA?

The smaller chunk is a 15mhz TDD channel of B41. Considering how crafty carriers are getting with spectrum, another 15mhz TDD channel would add quite a bit of capacity to Verizon's network in many areas. Obviously 5 20mhz channels would add a lot more.
    And if T-Mobile Sprint got that 100 MHz even if they had to give up some of what they own now to get the merger done, they'd be set to demolish at&t and Verizon

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold (Dual SIM)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    And if T-Mobile Sprint got that 100 MHz even if they had to give up some of what they own now to get the merger done, they'd be set to demolish at&t and Verizon
    This won’t help them offset the millions and millions and millions of rural American customers who use AT&T and Verizon because they have 700 MHz/850 MHz on every site and are denser than T-Mobile/Sprint to begin with. Urban areas have always been anyone’s game.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    AT&T: 2008, 2012-2014, 2016-Present
    T-Mobile: 2011-2012, 2015, 2017-2019
    Verizon: 2010 via Straight Talk for 2 months, 2018
    Sprint: Couldn't pay me to use them

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    This won’t help them offset the millions and millions and millions of rural American customers who use AT&T and Verizon because they have 700 MHz/850 MHz on every site and are denser than T-Mobile/Sprint to begin with. Urban areas have always been anyone’s game.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    You get that T-mobile has 10X10 MINIMUM of 600 MHz nationwide in every single county in the US. In fact in most places it's 15X15 or more and as high as 25X25. Not to mention their band 12 holdings and Sprint nationwide 800 MHz. T-Mobile/Sprint low band far exceeds any low band Verizon has. The 600 MHz deployment is slowed by the fact not all of it will be available tot use for another year. I live in small town in small county surrounded by similar towns and counties and yet T-Mobile recently deployed both 600 MHz and 700 MHz. So they are actually an option now

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Exactly.

You get that T-mobile has 10X10 MINIMUM of 600 MHz nationwide in every single county in the US. In fact in most places it's 15X15 or more and as high as 25X25. Not to mention their band 12 holdings and Sprint nationwide 800 MHz. T-Mobile/Sprint low band far exceeds any low band Verizon has. The 600 MHz deployment is slowed by the fact not all of it will be available tot use for another year. I live in small town in small county surrounded by similar towns and counties and yet T-Mobile recently deployed both 600 MHz and 700 MHz. So they are actually an option now
    Verizon has 35mhz in most areas (B13+B5). However, it's not just spectrum, T-Mobile's rural towers aren't nearly as dense as T and VZ. They can have all the spectrum in the world, but if they don't have the towers, they're not going to be competitive. That being said, it will be "good enough" for many.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Exactly.

Verizon has 35mhz in most areas (B13+B5). However, it's not just spectrum, T-Mobile's rural towers aren't nearly as dense as T and VZ. They can have all the spectrum in the world, but if they don't have the towers, they're not going to be competitive. That being said, it will be "good enough" for many.
    First of all B13+B5 would be 20X20 MHz, And Verizon lacks B5 in some markets such as Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Dallas, Austin, san Antonio. As far as towers T-Mobile shares towers with at&t in some areas like mine but they also built a new one a few miles out of town

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just a reminder before everyone gets too excited:

EBS 2.5 has always been out there. Many educational organizations use it and some simply don't despite having the spectrum (my county office of education runs their own dense Huawei LTE network with it which they use to provide cheap Internet to all (rural) K-12 students). Sprint leases a lot of the EBS spectrum - some leases go for 30 years.

The spectrum up for auction is mostly rural from the looks of it. It only covers about 15% of the population but 50% of geographic area. Page 30 of the FCC PDF in the following tweet. I just don't want people thinking some carrier is going to end up with a nationwide 100MHz block of B41.
    https://twitter.com/WaltBTIG/status/1141697407215951873
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast