Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Public Mobile People's Challenge: Post your PM 3G speedtest here

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,428
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

    Public Mobile People's Challenge: Post your PM 3G speedtest here

    Public Mobile's all about their 3G-ish data speeds. If you're on one of their 3G data plans post your speedtests here:

    Since my parents don't use their phones a lot I recently put them on PM. They're on a $35 for [email protected] plan. Here's a speedtest from my dad's iPhone Xr:



    Anyone else getting these sorts of speeds on a 3G plan?

    *Edit, these results are probably not typical.
    Last edited by howard; 06-20-2019 at 11:08 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    426
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Public Mobile's all about their 3G-ish data speeds. If you're on one of their 3G data plans post your speedtests here:

    Since my parents don't use their phones a lot I recently put them on PM. They're on a $35 for [email protected] plan. Here's a speedtest from my dad's iPhone Xr:



    Anyone else getting these sorts of speeds on a 3G plan?
    This isn’t a fair Speedtest result. For the first few days, Public Mobile gives you full LTE speeds. Since you recently put your parents on Public Mobile, do this test again in a few days.

    You can also force your phone to connect through 3G instead of LTE. You should see unthrottled 3G speed forever.
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada Talk & Text, 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    I signed up in April.

    Name:  PM SpeedTest.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  20.9 KB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    426
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinc64 View Post
    I signed up in April.
    Public Mobile sells 3G Speed as well as 4G LTE Speed plans. Which plan did you sign up for?

    Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,880
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Public Mobile's all about their 3G-ish data speeds. If you're on one of their 3G data plans post your speedtests here:

    Since my parents don't use their phones a lot I recently put them on PM. They're on a $35 for [email protected] plan. Here's a speedtest from my dad's iPhone Xr:



    Anyone else getting these sorts of speeds on a 3G plan?
    Howard, when switching from a full-speed LTE plan to a "3g" plan at Public Mobile, or after signing up as a new customer, you'll receive the first 48 hours of data service at the full LTE speeds.

    Only after the first 48 hours will the speeds be reduced to roughly 3Mbps up and 3Mbps down (when connected to the LTE network). Use of the DC-HSPA network is also possible for data.

    On the Public Mobile Community website, many of us members try to discourage such speed tests, especially when using the speedtest.net app.

    Many Public Mobile customers are on a $25 plan that includes 1GB of "3g" data. One instance of speedtest.net could use half (or sometimes even all) of the customer's allocated 30 days of data.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,428
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for the insight. They've actually been on PM for around a month now but then again they don't use a lot of data.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    This isn’t a fair Speedtest result. For the first few days, Public Mobile gives you full LTE speeds. Since you recently put your parents on Public Mobile, do this test again in a few days.

    You can also force your phone to connect through 3G instead of LTE. You should see unthrottled 3G speed forever.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,880
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Thanks for the insight. They've actually been on PM for around a month now but then again they don't use a lot of data.
    $35 for 4.5GB at 3g speed? That sounds like the past Bell to Public migration offer.

    Your parents should consider themselves lucky because they should not be able to achieve those results.

    I did a test now on the LTE network with a 3g plan and I got 3.03/3.37Mbps.

    It's possible that Public messed up the plan coding for your parent's plan.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,428
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Correct, they ported from Bell to PM. Thanks I'll check out their phones next time I see them.

    Quote Originally Posted by computergeek541 View Post
    $35 for 4.5GB at 3g speed? That sounds like the past Bell to Public migration offer.

    Your parents should consider themselves lucky because they should not be able to achieve those results.

    I did a test now on the LTE network with a 3g plan and I got 3.03/3.37Mbps.

    It's possible that Public messed up the plan coding for your parent's plan.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,632
    Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    I finally got my mom to upgrade from a flip phone to an iPhone 7. I ported her TELUS line to Public Mobile today on the $40/5GB (4.5GB + 500MB autofill bonus) 3G plan. Coming from a flip phone, the 3G speed should be fine for her. We may even be able to knock her down to the $25/1.5GB plan if she finds she isn't using all her data. Realistically she's on Wi-Fi most of the time anyway.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,880
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    I finally got my mom to upgrade from a flip phone to an iPhone 7. I ported her TELUS line to Public Mobile today on the $40/5GB (4.5GB + 500MB autofill bonus) 3G plan. Coming from a flip phone, the 3G speed should be fine for her. We may even be able to knock her down to the $25/1.5GB plan if she finds she isn't using all her data. Realistically she's on Wi-Fi most of the time anyway.
    The $25 Public Mobile plan ($23 with Autopay) actually has 1GB total after factoring in the autopay data bonus.

    It's too bad that you didn't have your mom switch about a week earlier because on the July 20th weekend, Public Mobile was offering calls/texts/2GB for $30.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    733
    Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Public Mobile's all about their 3G-ish data speeds. If you're on one of their 3G data plans post your speedtests here:

    Since my parents don't use their phones a lot I recently put them on PM. They're on a $35 for [email protected] plan. Here's a speedtest from my dad's iPhone Xr:



    Anyone else getting these sorts of speeds on a 3G plan?

    *Edit, these results are probably not typical.
    I've noticed that it is throttled on LTE (up to 3mbps) but not throlled on 3G( I get around 20mbps).
    How's your experience guys?
    Is it better to have "faster" 3G+ or 'slower' LTE but with less latency?
    PS last tests had the same latency both on 3G+ and LTE
    Tired of huge cell phone bills?I can help!Please,check and like my FB page below
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,204
    Feedback Score
    0
    LTE is better at cell edge. I would keep it on auto selection.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Similar Threads

  1. Public Mobile Public Mobile employees: How much is your commission?
    By arisen in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 05:08 AM
  2. post your iphone 3g speeds here
    By shellac in forum Apple
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 12:13 PM
  3. T-Mobile retailers out there, post your rants!
    By DJmegatron in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 01:08 PM
  4. Post Your Favorite Exercise Shoes Here
    By Baby Jingles in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2002, 02:12 PM
  5. Post your Fido WAP experiences here.
    By howardchui in forum Fido
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-14-2001, 06:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks