Thread: NYC vs South Florida LTE Speeds

Feedback Score

NYC vs South Florida LTE Speeds

Just returned from New York City and Nassau County where LTE download speeds were routinely 150/200 down.
    In West Broward County Florida I get 10/60 down.
    Not complaining, just wondering if south Florida is catching up anytime soon.
    Anybody?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    They are completely unrelated areas and network investment will never be equal between them.

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Feedback Score
    Nope. T-Mobile dont care for those areas. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    LTE speeds are all over the place. It depends on the density of sites, density of customers, spectrum position, small cells, etc, etc. No one is building networks to provide 100mbps+ speeds, they're building for capacity. If you see 100mbps+ speeds with light load, that's great, it means it has a lot of capacity. In major metro areas, sites can generally max out their air interfaces, but in smaller markets or rural, some sites where that carrier isn't the ILEC may be limited by backhaul, allowing future upgrades to happen by going online and upgrading the backhaul provisioning.

There's a lot more than peak speed. 99% of people aren't running around with Speedtest on their phone testing site after site. Consistency, availability, and reliability matter a lot more than raw speed.

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonman89 View Post
    Just returned from New York City and Nassau County where LTE download speeds were routinely 150/200 down.
    In West Broward County Florida I get 10/60 down.
    Not complaining, just wondering if south Florida is catching up anytime soon.
    Anybody?
    How did those speeds in NY enhance your user experience?

Feedback Score
    Everything loaded faster at those speeds and that is what I perceived to be an enhanced user experience.
    I'm not unhappy about the LTE speeds in south Florida, just curious as to why the difference vs NYC.
    SoxFan76 provided a plausible explanation.

Feedback Score

NYC vs South Florida LTE Speeds

Got this NYC

It’s more of a team thing. In NYC the T-Mobile team is more dedicated to fast improvements. In Florida. Their more relaxed, you tend to see more dead zones there, or limited sector sites too. Like sites with only band 4 and band 12 but not MIFI support, band 66, 71, 2. I felt the team in Florida thinks the network is just fine and hasn’t experience anything outside of that like in NYC.

NYC being a big market for T-Mobile, theirs always a lot of pressure relief congestion and fix issues since the CEO also lives here. My theory lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonman89 View Post
    Everything loaded faster at those speeds and that is what I perceived to be an enhanced user experience.
    I'm not unhappy about the LTE speeds in south Florida, just curious as to why the difference vs NYC.
    SoxFan76 provided a plausible explanation.
    You didn't perceive raw throughput, at least not on web pages. Maybe a large game download. What you were probably experiencing was less congestion and lower latency, which made things feel faster.

It's really all about capacity. Virtually everything we do on smartphones would run fine on a 3G site with 1 T1 feeding it, except video that would need 3-4 T1's... if only one phone used the tower at once. LTE networks are usually pretty unreliable below roughly 5mbps (no magic, it depends on a lot of conditions), because at that point they are so heavily loaded that they are suffering from terrible congestion. Seeing 100mbps+ tests is excellent, meaning there is a lot of capacity there, and the network will still provide LTE speeds if 10x the users are on it simultaneously. Densified small sites with fiber may help latency slightly as fewer users are on a single site.