Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Future Is Friendly™ - Telus Gives In, Unlimited plans with 512Kbps throttling

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

The Future Is Friendly™ - Telus Gives In, Unlimited plans with 512Kbps throttling

Similar pricing to Rogers/Bell, 10 and 20GB variants, tethering is included up to the 'high speed' limit (after which, maybe PPU?), not shareable.

Promotional plan, available until July 2 (with usual caveats that this may change without notice)

https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-b...pe=hero_banner

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    "No Overage plans allow you to use as much data as you like while in Canada and never be charged data overages" curious if that means this plan still incurs overages when roaming, and also if it's eligible for roam better. From what I can tell of Rogers and Bell's no overage plans, if you went over while roaming, you would be throttled but not incur overages. I like the 512/kbps throttle better than Rogers and Bell's 256.

edit: Telus chat says the plan is eligible for easy roam, so I'm assuming you wouldn't incur data overages when roaming
    Last edited by crab9000; 06-18-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Z30 (black)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Where are the details? Minutes, voicemail, etc, etc? The telus site says nothing aside from the data.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I believe these are unlimited nationwide calling, unlimited sms/mms, VM25

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Z30 (black)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    I believe these are unlimited nationwide calling, unlimited sms/mms, VM25
    They are indeed. I verified with Telus chat. Strangely enough, all these unlimited plans feature Canada texting only; no international texting. All my plans for the past 9 years have had international texting. Not a big deal but odd nonetheless.

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Post Big Three Data Deals - The Fine Print

[Apologies for the excessively formal and long-winded reply; only doing so to post this thread to the front page...]

Name:  fine-print.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  124.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ddsdude View Post
    Strangely enough, all these unlimited plans feature Canada texting only; no international texting. All my plans for the past 9 years have had international texting.
    Kudos to eagle-eyed HoFoer ddsdude for spotting an important detail in the fine print of Canada's new "unlimited" data plans. While the sending of SMS from Canada to international destinations has (I think) been only a recent perk, one the main tenets of texting has always been that incoming messages are free, no matter where you are.

With these new plans, however, that's not necessarily the case. Here's the fine print from each of the Big Three...

From Bell:
    Received messages include text messages received while in Canada and excludes roaming, premium messages, alerts or dial-up messages received from a messaging application.
    From Rogers:
    Includes texts sent to local wireless number while in eligible destination or to Canadian wireless number. Sent/received premium texts and sent international texts to destinations other than eligible destinations charged at applicable rates.
    And from Telus, with no specific fine print about SMS:
    Plus, enjoy unlimited Canada-wide calls and texts.
    So it seems that of Canada's Big Three, only Rogers will continue to provide free incoming texts while roaming. It's not the end of the world, as I suspect the majority of users who take their phones abroad will do so with a roaming add-on—which, if you didn't know, lets you send and receive SMS for free. But if there's a local data SIM cheaper than the $12/day "roam like home" going rate (like in Hong Kong or Taiwan, for example) then you might want to pull your Big Three SIM from your unlocked phone altogether, so you don't get dinged for any incoming texts while away.
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 2013 13”, Apple TV 4.
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    "No Overage plans allow you to use as much data as you like while in Canada and never be charged data overages" curious if that means this plan still incurs overages when roaming, and also if it's eligible for roam better. From what I can tell of Rogers and Bell's no overage plans, if you went over while roaming, you would be throttled but not incur overages. I like the 512/kbps throttle better than Rogers and Bell's 256.

edit: Telus chat says the plan is eligible for easy roam, so I'm assuming you wouldn't incur data overages when roaming
    I like Rogers’s shared Infinity plans better than Bell and Telus’s non-shared unlimited plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just left Virgin to come onto Telus.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Since July 2nd has come and pass the new "unlimited" data plans are now known as Peace of Mind rate plans.

They include $75/10GB, $95/20GB or $125/50GB of data at full speed after which it is throttled to 512kbps.

There are also shareable plans with the same data buckets but with no throttling.

Next up are their Family discounts; add a second family member and everyone get $5 off. A third and it goes up to $10. 4 or more means everyone gets $15 off.

Finally TELUS is now decoupling the device subsidy from the plan by offering device financing (Easy Payment). It starts at 0 down with device trade-in with options to finance for up to 24 months.

More details here.

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Post Telus Tweaks Its BYOD Plans

Back to the front page we go...!

Name:  telus-pomp.png
Views: 266
Size:  62.0 KB

A few weeks ago when Canada's Big Three suddenly started offering 10GB "unlimited" BYOD plans, Telus set itself apart by throttling additional data at a higher bit-rate than Bell and Rogers—512kbps versus 256. While I personally am of the opinion that EDGE data speeds are flat-out unacceptable in 2019, it seems to have been enough of a differentiator for many to go with Telus.

Good news for those people: as of today, Telus is making improvements to all of their BYOD plans.

First leaked to Mobile Syrup this morning, the rates are now live, and are branded Peace of Mind Plans. Rates are as they were before:

Peace of Mind: $75/month for 10GB
    Peace of Mind Plus: $95/month for 20GB
    Peace of Mind Ultra: $125/month for 50GB

The new perk is a family discount, offering per-user savings as follows:

$5 per line per month for 2 lines
    $10 per line per month for 3 lines
    $15 per line per month for 4 to 9 lines

And this family discount also applies to three new Simple Share Plans with (you guessed it) shareable data:

Simple Share 10: $75/month for 10GB
    Simple Share 20: $95/month for 20GB
    Simple Share 50: $125/month for 50GB

The data isn't capped, and overages will cost the usual (and egregious) $100/GB, but you can at least pool your household data into a bigger monthly bucket and redistribute it however you see fit.

More on these new plans at the links immediately below.

Source: Telus via Mobile Syrup

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not having International text messaging is huge for me. I have had a number of occasions in the last few months that I used International texting extensively....I will keep my plan that has them....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Called customer support. They said plans are to new and to call in a few days. I need 3 unlimited local lines with about 50 Gb of data to share between them and 4 tablet plans. What will I expect to pay? Right now tablet lines are 5 dollars each and share data on our account. Rep couldn’t tell me if I could keep those as is. What can I expect to pay with the new plans?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Maestro View Post
    Called customer support. They said plans are to new and to call in a few days. I need 3 unlimited local lines with about 50 Gb of data to share between them and 4 tablet plans. What will I expect to pay? Right now tablet lines are 5 dollars each and share data on our account. Rep couldn’t tell me if I could keep those as is. What can I expect to pay with the new plans?

I've been told they have new tablet and smartwatch plans that are compatible with the unlimited plans.

Live Chat: For Peace of Mind customers, the current plan that we can offer for the smartwatch includes 5Gb of high-speed internet, once the 5GB has been reached the speed will be reduced to 512Kbps, the price of the plan is $10/month. For tablets it would be the same but for $30.

Sent from my GM1917 using HoFo mobile app
    Telus: No Overage Plan 50gb - VIP 20% + $5 Call Forwarding = $105 + TAX

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So I would pay $30 per tablet line to share the data on my primary line? So from $5 to $30? And what about the other 2 local unlimited plans?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Maestro View Post
    So I would pay $30 per tablet line to share the data on my primary line? So from $5 to $30? And what about the other 2 local unlimited plans?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oh sorry I meant these were only for the unlimited data plans.

Sent from my GM1917 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast