Thread: Data usage: How can I tell difference between paid data and free wifi usage

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a and Moto G7 (active) Samsung Galaxy S6 (inactive)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Data usage: How can I tell difference between paid data and free wifi usage

I have a BYOP Google Pixel 3a with the latest (earlier this week) system update on Tracfone.

Some of my apps (Chrome, in particular) seem to be using a lot of data (according to the app usage data on my phone), even though I have "enable usage of mobile data in the background turned" off. How can I tell if this usage is wifi data (which I assume and hope that it is) or paid data (which I'd like to minimize)? Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    I have a BYOP Google Pixel 3a with the latest (earlier this week) system update on Tracfone.

Some of my apps (Chrome, in particular) seem to be using a lot of data (according to the app usage data on my phone), even though I have "enable usage of mobile data in the background turned" off. How can I tell if this usage is wifi data (which I assume and hope that it is) or paid data (which I'd like to minimize)? Thanks!
    If the data usage you're seeing is listed under Settings>Data Usage>Cellular Data Usage, then it IS cellular data usage.

WiFi data usage is listed separately under Settings>Data Usage>WiFi Data Usage.

I personally have Chrome disabled on my phone and use Naked Browser and Opera Mini mostly.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Data usage: How can I tell difference between paid data and free wifi usage

If you are worried about apps using cellular data, you can install an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hirts.firewall NoRoot Firewall (this is one I used on my Pixel) and configure it to block apps from even seeing the data connection.
    Last edited by Haas_Dave; 06-14-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Geez, I hate bbcode on mobile
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a and Moto G7 (active) Samsung Galaxy S6 (inactive)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If the data usage you're seeing is listed under Settings>Data Usage>Cellular Data Usage, then it IS cellular data usage.

I personally have Chrome disabled on my phone and use Naked Browser and Opera Mini mostly.
    Yes, I now see where data usage is split up between cellular and Wi-Fi. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    If you are worried about apps using cellular data, you can install an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hirts.firewall NoRoot Firewall (this is one I used on my Pixel) and configure it to block apps from even seeing the data connection.
    Good job!!!... NRF solves all these data usage problems!!!...

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Does the following from the link above mean anything?
    * TO LTE USERS *
    NoRoot Firewall may not work on LTE because it NoRoot Firewall currently doesn't support IPv6. I'm working on the fix.

Also, it was last updated a long time ago!
    Updated November 30, 2014

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Does the following from the link above mean anything?
    * TO LTE USERS *
    NoRoot Firewall may not work on LTE because it NoRoot Firewall currently doesn't support IPv6. I'm working on the fix.

Also, it was last updated a long time ago!
    Updated November 30, 2014
    Oh, good notice there. I’ve been using it since 2015 so I guess I never looked at description changes. It pretty much worked as I needed it to.

It’s possible it could have let some data usage leak through if the app used IPv6.
    Now that many networks are going LTE-only, maybe I will change to a new one.

Here is this one that says in the description that it works even with IPv6:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....internetguard

It looks like it’s set up a bit differently in-app, but it sounds like it should work just as well as the first one I linked.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

I'm looking on my Rebel 4 > App info > Chrome > Data usage. It lists Total, Foreground, & Background. I don't see anything regarding Cellular Data Usage or WiFi Data Usage. Should I be looking somewhere else?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by StymiedToo View Post
    I'm looking on my Rebel 4 > App info > Chrome > Data usage. It lists Total, Foreground, & Background. I don't see anything regarding Cellular Data Usage or WiFi Data Usage. Should I be looking somewhere else?
    Why didn't you follow the path I listed to see if it's there? Why did you go to Chrome?

That said, it's possible that the names are slightly different on an LG, but the info should still be there.

I looks like Bitzer18 was able to find it.

Give it another try and post back if you still can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    Yes, I now see where data usage is split up between cellular and Wi-Fi. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Why didn't you follow the path I listed to see if it's there? Why did you go to Chrome?

That said, it's possible that the names are slightly different on an LG, but the info should still be there.

I looks like Bitzer18 was able to find it.

Give it another try and post back if you still can't find it.
    I went to Chrome because the OP said "Some of my apps (Chrome, in particular)". So I figured I'd check my Chrome.

I go to Tools > settings > Apps & notifications > App info > Chrome > Data usage. It shows a date range and Total, Foreground, & Background, but nothing that indicate Cellular Data usage or WiFi usage. I can look at other Apps and they show the same parameters.

If I go to Tools > settings, I can turn WiFi or Mobile data on or off, but there is nothing about data usage.

I've looked & clicked on everything that seemed like it might take me to the right place but so far no sucess. I'm sure the information is there, I'm just not finding it.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In these cheaper LG phones (myself having a Fiesta 2), I believe you'll find data stats and control in the Wireless Networks area of Settings, but you have to press the Mobile Data area just to the left of the toggle. It takes you there without turning on cellular data. Should be that way on your Rebel 4.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

I've looked & clicked on everything that seemed like it might take me to the right place but so far no sucess. I'm sure the information is there, I'm just not finding it.
    There is no breakdown of cellular data vs WiFi data use shown in the individual apps. Only the data use totals in Networks. Not sure if there are 3rd party apps that can do this.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Take a look at https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/...guide/418.html .

See "Show Wi-Fi usage: Displays a Wi-Fi tab (at the top of the screen) to display your Wi-Fi usage information."

Can you do that?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Take a look at https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/...guide/418.html .

See "Show Wi-Fi usage: Displays a Wi-Fi tab (at the top of the screen) to display your Wi-Fi usage information."

Can you do that?
    Thanks -

That does it. Tapping on "Mobil data" brings up the next screen which has two selections at the top, Mobile or Wi-Fi. I never thought about tapping on "Mobile data" in order to bring up Wi-Fi information, especially since there is a separate "Wi-Fi" selection listed immediately above the "Mobile data" selection in the Network & Internet settings, & that Wi-Fi selection brings up all the Wi-Fi networks near me.

Thanks again.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks -

That does it. Tapping on "Mobil data" brings up the next screen which has two selections at the top, Mobile or Wi-Fi. I never thought about tapping on "Mobile data" in order to bring up Wi-Fi information, especially since there is a separate "Wi-Fi" selection listed immediately above the "Mobile data" selection in the Network & Internet settings, & that Wi-Fi selection brings up all the Wi-Fi networks near me.

Thanks again.
    Okay. Good!

It's a little frustrating how some branded Android phones have things like this different than others. I generally like how LG does things, but this one is definitely odd!

Anyway, you're welcome!