Thread: What Should I Use For Canada While On Vacation?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

What Should I Use For Canada While On Vacation?

My wife and I will be doing a week long Alaskan cruise in August. We will be in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, for a day. We currently have Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) and I have a backup phone on Tracfone (AT&T). We might try to get by with no phone or we might try to get something. What are some of my better choices for that? Is it easy to buy a SIM card and a day or week of service in Canada? Or, am I better trying to add something to what we currently have?

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, TruPhone, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    $10 T-Mo tablet plan and use Hangouts for calls? You might want to check with the Canadian MVNO forums but the per minute PAYGO rates in Canada are pretty steep and data is expensive. I don't think anyone there offers a one day or one week plan.

If you can't add Canadian roaming to a plan you already have for only one day you might just want to go without as scary as that sounds .

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    My wife and I will be doing a week long Alaskan cruise in August. We will be in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, for a day. We currently have Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO) and I have a backup phone on Tracfone (AT&T). We might try to get by with no phone or we might try to get something. What are some of my better choices for that? Is it easy to buy a SIM card and a day or week of service in Canada? Or, am I better trying to add something to what we currently have?
    See this thread from LAST WEEK where a similar question was asked: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ans-for-Canada

The OP in that thread took my recommendation of the T-Mobile Prepaid data only plan, 2GB/mo for $10/mo, from https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-de...obile-internet. You'd need a compatible unlocked phone to use it.

I personally use a T-Mobile data only SIM when I'm in Canada, and it works great for calls and messages with Hangouts, TextNow, FB Messenger, and Viber.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by scrip_>^..^< View Post
    You might want to check with the Canadian MVNO forums but the per minute PAYGO rates in Canada are pretty steep and data is expensive. I don't think anyone there offers a one day or one week plan.
    Just in the interest of offering a complete range of solutions, Roam Mobility offers one-, two-, and three-week plans, with unlimited talk in Canada, unlimited global texting, 500MB of 4G LTE data, and tethering, for US$30/45/55 respectively. Expensive compared to the T-Mobile solution offered here but cheaper than Bell Mobility's least expensive plan with data (though that one runs 30 days).

Honestly, if it's just a day, I'd seriously consider going without phone service. Even getting the T-Mobile plan going will be time spent (get the SIM, install, activate, publicize your new phone number, switch back, etc.) for little return unless you know you may need service for, say, a non-cruise-sponsored excursion, etc.).