Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: New York Attorney General and nine other states file lawsuit to block Merger

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Sprint will survive. Either someone will buy them, or someone will take them over or whatever, and they will fix up their network. They have good spectrum, and 5G is their opportunity to deploy in a far less capital-intensive manner than the other carriers due to their spectrum position.
    If it comes to this, I hope they go through conventional bankruptcy. Instead of, say, like GM. GM would would have also survived a conventional bankruptcy (but the President then made the terrible mistake of giving them tens of billions in a handout of taxpayer money, and those who personally caused the bankruptcy got rewarded with riches).

Regardless, I am on "Team Merger" all the way.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    .....The lack of objection on Verizon and AT&T part is very telling if you ask me. .....
    I think they rather like the idea of having one less competitor in the marketplace. I don't think they find the hypothetical Dish wireless network to be credible enough to warrant concern.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Do we know for a fact that AT&T and Verizon are not behind any of the state level AG objections at this point?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Do we know for a fact that AT&T and Verizon are not behind any of the state level AG objections at this point?
    Honestly, none of us here know anything about this "for a fact".

All we do know is neither VZW nor AT&T has objected to the merger publicly.

That's all *I* needed to know about it to form my position!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I think they rather like the idea of having one less competitor in the marketplace. I don't think they find the hypothetical Dish wireless network to be credible enough to warrant concern.
    I really don't think the imploding Sprint counted as much of a competitor at all.

Instead this merger will result in the one actual competitor to the duopoly becoming a lot stronger.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post

That's all *I* needed to know about it to form my position!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    What did you think when IBM bought Red Hat for $34 billion? Is Red Hat worth more than Sprint?

BTW, I'm looking for a good Linux distro, what's your opinion of Fedora?

If I download Fedora, will I become part of the new big blue?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    That doesn’t make a lot of sense. People against the merger are saying it will hurt competition and cause prices to rise. Why would AT&T and Verizon not want to be able to charge more for wireless plans and generate more revenue?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I really don't think the imploding Sprint counted as much of a competitor at all.

Instead this merger will result in the one actual competitor to the duopoly becoming a lot stronger.
    Regardless of how poor they actually perform as long as they are considered a national carrier and selling cheap plans they will always be considered a competitor.

The merger could potentially cause Verizon to be left in the dust. Although it would take a long time to get a solid buildout, the amount of spectrum the New T-Mobile and AT&T holds compared to Verizon will put them at a huge advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

This is where my logic falls as well. Something just isn't right.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    What did you think when IBM bought Red Hat for $34 billion? Is Red Hat worth more than Sprint?

Answered here:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...1#post17090381

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post

Fedora isn't bad. Neither is Oracle Enterprise Linux. I personally prefer to keep the Linux distros as simple as possible.
    Ubuntu/Canonical is pretty much a Microsoft pwned distro (baked into MS Windows subsystem).
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Fedora isn't bad. Neither is Oracle Enterprise Linux. I personally prefer to keep the Linux distros as simple as possible.
    Ubuntu/Canonical is pretty much a Microsoft pwned distro (baked into MS Windows subsystem).
    A couple of years back I read that Linus Torvalds used Fedora. don't know if that is the case. If it is true, then that would certainly add credibility to "use Fedora". I know that it is very "organized", documentation, etc., it might be somewhat "stiff" for a first time user.

Anyway, I think I'm going to give it a whirl. I think if I make something explode, then with Fedora, the explosions will be smaller and more contained.

Also, I read somewhere that the way to move to Linux was the same way to quit smoking: you gotta go cold turkey and don't look back.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If it comes to this, I hope they go through conventional bankruptcy. Instead of, say, like GM. GM would would have also survived a conventional bankruptcy (but the President then made the terrible mistake of giving them tens of billions in a handout of taxpayer money, and those who personally caused the bankruptcy got rewarded with riches).

Regardless, I am on "Team Merger" all the way.
    They paid back 100% of that money PLUS interest. In other words the government MADE MONEY on that. Try fact checking next time

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    Sprint will survive.
    Nope. In fact within 30 days of the deal being dead Sprint will announce jobs cut and new plans will be vastly more expensive

Either someone will buy them, or someone will take them over or whatever, and they will fix up their network. They have good spectrum, and 5G is their opportunity to deploy in a far less capital-intensive manner than the other carriers due to their spectrum position.
    They will die at&t and Verizon will get the vast majority of their corpse. we will still only have 3 nationwide networks except T-Mobile will be an also ran. And Verizon and at&t wills till have no reason to be truly competitive and will only marginally change plans and pricing. If T-Mobile was threat Verizon wouldn't be offering it Start Unlimited plan which is $20 more expensive for 4 line than T-Mobile's Essentials plan and doesn't have hotspot while Essentials does. You have to be on Verizon Go Unlimited( no longer available) plan to have the same features as Essentials and that's $160 a month for 4 lines or $40 more expensive. Now why is that? because you can be sure if at&t offered a Essentials type plan for $120 for 4 lines Verizon would 100% make a change to it's plans and pricing

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

If the merger fails, Sprint's value drops by literally tens of billions of dollars. Even better if they can go bankrupt and restructure. Then various buyers would be more likely to want to buy them. It could be an Amazon, it could be some cable companies, it could be someone else entirely.

Further, DISH's spectrum would likely get sold off, with the B71 going to Sprint, and the mid-band going to Verizon and T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    That doesn’t make a lot of sense. People against the merger are saying it will hurt competition and cause prices to rise. Why would AT&T and Verizon not want to be able to charge more for wireless plans and generate more revenue?
    So there's one school of thought that AT&T and Verizon want one fewer competitor in the market, and would thus support the T-Sprint merger. This is the school of thought that I belong to, based on stock price indicators and basic market economics.

However, there is another school of thought that AT&T and Verizon preceive T-Mobile with that giant chunk of 2.5 spectrum to be a bigger 5G threat than Sprint alone with that chunk of 2.5 spectrum, and thus they don't want the merger to happen.

You could argue it around in circles all day as to whether AT&T and Verizon do, don't, should, or shouldn't support the merger based on their own fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to generate as large of a return as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Nope. In fact within 30 days of the deal being dead Sprint will announce jobs cut and new plans will be vastly more expensive
    They have to get acquired at this point. They're too far in the hole to dig themselves out, as they actually need to buy more spectrum and fix their network. The one huge advantage they have is that 2.5 spectrum that gives them a much, much less capital intensive path to 5G.

They will die at&t and Verizon will get the vast majority of their corpse. we will still only have 3 nationwide networks except T-Mobile will be an also ran. And Verizon and at&t wills till have no reason to be truly competitive and will only marginally change plans and pricing. If T-Mobile was threat Verizon wouldn't be offering it Start Unlimited plan which is $20 more expensive for 4 line than T-Mobile's Essentials plan and doesn't have hotspot while Essentials does. You have to be on Verizon Go Unlimited( no longer available) plan to have the same features as Essentials and that's $160 a month for 4 lines or $40 more expensive. Now why is that? because you can be sure if at&t offered a Essentials type plan for $120 for 4 lines Verizon would 100% make a change to it's plans and pricing
    The DOJ should stop existing carriers from buying any part of Sprint. Cable companies or a telco that doesn't have a wireless operation would be fine though, as AT&T and Verizon are already integrated.

If it is parted out, it should be by region, with continued roaming/interoperability. Maybe the cable companies take parts, C-Spire or Shentel take a bit here and there, and USCC some other parts.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast