Thread: LTE Band 14

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

LTE Band 14

Wow AT&T is really adding new LTE bands in Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley. Band 14 in downtown Easton indoors.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I’ve noticed Band 14 popping up on CellMapper in Tahlequah, OK which is exciting considering that area has only been covered with mid-band on AT&T.

US Cellular (lower 700 A,B and C) and VZ (Upper 700, 850 side A&B) own most of the other low band in the area and US Cellular doesn’t even have a network there!

Thanks to FirstNet and the 600Mhz auction low band competition is finally coming to the area through AT&T and T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's all over W-B/Scranton and the rest of NEPA. Awesome to see sites getting the full suite of available bands deployed and upgraded backhaul and new macros. I'm in TX now and it's everywhere here too.

If AT&T has moved like this with the initial LTE deployment they could have kept VZW in check. At least they're finally taking it seriously.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    .....US Cellular (lower 700 A,B and C) and VZ (Upper 700, 850 side A&B) own most of the other low band in the area and US Cellular doesn’t even have a network there!....
    Interesting. I thought AT&T used the 700 MHz auction to make sure that they had some low-band everywhere in the lower-48. I guess there's always and exception.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    I’ve noticed Band 14 popping up on CellMapper in Tahlequah, OK which is exciting considering that area has only been covered with mid-band on AT&T.
    I would say that's a good thing, but really, Tahlequah has perfectly good service on B2. It's pretty flat, and they've got enough towers. Of course it can't hurt for in-building coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

LTE Band 14

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    I would say that's a good thing, but really, Tahlequah has perfectly good service on B2. It's pretty flat, and they've got enough towers. Of course it can't hurt for in-building coverage.
    For me the lack of coverage is mostly on the way to Tahlequah along the highways that connect up to 412. I go through Peggs occasionally and my cousins have a Cabin North of town along Highway 10.

Both of those places are hilly and have big dead zones which might be somewhat improved with band 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So, clarify something for me - Firstnet and Band 14 is for first responders and official safety personnel.

The comments here imply that regular AT&T subscribers can use it ??

Doesn't that contradict the whole point of Firstnet ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dude View Post
    So, clarify something for me - Firstnet and Band 14 is for first responders and official safety personnel.

Doesn't that contradict the whole point of Firstnet ?
    Correct. Any AT&T user can connect to band 14 but they DO NOT get priority. Only FirstNet users get priority.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Correct. Any AT&T user can connect to band 14 but they DO NOT get priority. Only FirstNet users get priority.
    Hmm - I could easily imagine a future scenario where the band is too congested for effective safety communications, priority or no priority.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hmm - I could easily imagine a future scenario where the band is too congested for effective safety communications, priority or no priority.
    That’s not how it’s set up. First off to my knowledge there are NO band 14 only sites. They all have other AT&T spectrum on them. AT&T network is set up so you connect to band 14 as a last resort (unless you are a FirstNet user). Then I believe If the network detects band 14 is strained it can kick users off it. Also FirstNet users get priority on all bands, not just band 14.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

LTE Band 14

Also in reality we are talking about a very small number of users. I have looked at quite a few different reports and there are a ton of factors like backhaul, spectrum, number of active vs idle users, etc but from what I can tell one sector of a cell tower can accommodate anywhere from 250 to 2000 users.

Now let’s compare that to some crazy big mass casualty incident.
    20 ambulances (2 man crews). 40 users
    20 fire trucks (4 man crews) 80 users
    40 cop cars (usually 1 per car but let’s assume 2) 80 users.
    So that’s about 200 first responders (crazy big response) now even assuming they are all on the same sector you still have some play room and the rest of the regular public still gets to use what’s left on the network. In reality when you look at the big picture of all public safety data that’s going over the network I would bet it’s less than 1% of all data that’s going through AT&T’s network. Where FirstNet will be beneficial is because these huge mass casualty incidents occur in urban areas where the network is already strained.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Anyone can connect to it. FirstNET users get priority over the whole network, B14 or not.

That’s not how it’s set up. First off to my knowledge there are NO band 14 only sites. They all have other AT&T spectrum on them.
    I would agree that they won't be B14-only sites, but there are a few areas in Oklahoma and possibly somewhere else where B14 will be the only low-band spectrum on sites as AT&T doesn't own B12/5 in those areas. That being said, those probably aren't areas where coverage and congestion are going to be a big problem.

Now let’s compare that to some crazy big mass casualty incident.
    20 ambulances (2 man crews). 40 users
    20 fire trucks (4 man crews) 80 users
    40 cop cars (usually 1 per car but let’s assume 2) 80 users.
    So that’s about 200 first responders (crazy big response) now even assuming they are all on the same sector you still have some play room and the rest of the regular public still gets to use what’s left on the network. In reality when you look at the big picture of all public safety data that’s going over the network I would bet it’s less than 1% of all data that’s going through AT&T’s network. Where FirstNet will be beneficial is because these huge mass casualty incidents occur in urban areas where the network is already strained.
    The reality is that FirstNET will end up being used for day to day operations, and probably make outfitting data-centric policing systems easier, but these are functions that are already done reliably on AT&T and Verizon commercial accounts. I usually lean to the left in politics, but FirstNET is a prime example of a government boondoggle. I'm glad that AT&T was able to make the best of it, however.

For large incidents, most of the police, fire, and EMS involved are going to be actually doing their jobs, and communicating via trunked radio, and not playing with their phones on FirstNET, so there will be little, if any FirstNET data traffic during that time. The rest of the network will be slammed with people calling/texting/tweeting/Facebook live streaming whatever is going on, so police, fire, and EMS people who aren't needed in the response will have more reliable service to do whatever with. This will have a negligible impact on commercial users, since most will be busy responding to the incident, and even if there are 100 extra who aren't needed, that's just a small load on the network, and will almost surely use less capacity than B14 adds to the network in the first place, leaving most of the network for commercial users to slam down to sub-megabit speeds.

Overall, FirstNet is a big nothingburger for most police, fire, and EMS is suburban/urban areas, but the additional coverage in rural areas that would never have congestion and never need priority could be huge for their operations, especially where there might be gaps in trunked radio reception, and they might have to make phone calls where trunked radio doesn't work. Suburbs and cities are already well covered via trunked radio, so it will have little to no impact on their operations.