LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Ting UT&T+20GB = $20/month Thru 2019 - NEW CUSTOMERS

The following is from https://start.ting.com/20for20/ :

Enjoy unlimited talk, text and up to 20GB for just $20/mo through 2019.

Rest assured, Ting has you covered from coast-to-coast on the CDMA (Sprint) network.

Call 1-855-879-9993

Terms and conditions
    https://start.ting.com/20for20/a-2-lightbox.html
    Available to new Ting customers only. Lines must be activated on the CDMA (Sprint) network. Ting reserves the right limit offer at any time. Customers are required to pay applicable taxes, regulatory fees and government mandated surcharges. This promotion is offered on a no contract basis.

Ting's standard pricing will be applied January 1, 2020 and onwards, unless otherwise stated in email communication. Standard Ting terms and privacy policy apply."

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I guess this is okay for a short term but lol I did their rate calculator with trying to mimic this plan with their 'standard rates' and so 2100 min 4800 text and 20Gb of data resulted in a massively inflated to $252 lol

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My problem with Ting is its =outrageous= taxes and fees. I explored Ting using my $35 RingPlusDemise credits and it simply wasn't cost effective for low use (for me). Line charge of $6. A single call put you in the $3 talk bucket. A single text put you in the $3 text bucket. A single email put you in the $3 data bucket. So that's $15. And they then tacked on something like $9-11 or more of taxes and fees. So a single call, and text, and email would cost something like $25 a month. Sheesh.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    My problem with Ting is its =outrageous= taxes and fees. I explored Ting using my $35 RingPlusDemise credits and it simply wasn't cost effective for low use (for me). Line charge of $6. A single call put you in the $3 talk bucket. A single text put you in the $3 text bucket. A single email put you in the $3 data bucket. So that's $15. And they then tacked on something like $9-11 or more of taxes and fees. So a single call, and text, and email would cost something like $25 a month. Sheesh.
    Thanks for the info. It's BS fees and charges like this that are good to know about in advance. I'll be crossing them off my list of options (not that they were really on it in the first place).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wanting to insure that my recollection was not faulty, I rummaged around in my old email bin to find some Ting bills. Samples of what happens to low usage users below.

It wasn't as bad as I recalled; I was remembering costs relating to when I had 2 lines with Ting instead of the single line that I kept. But still: check out what it costs to make one 2-minute call in a month. Adding a single text, and also a single MB, would add $6+ to what you see below:

Hi brg,

Thanks for continuing to be a part of Ting!
    Here are a few details for your Ting bill for Mar 21 through Apr 20, 2017.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Plan Minutes Usage S 2 minutes $3.00
    Line Fee Volt/773XXXYYYY $6.00 Mar 21 - Apr 20

Here are the taxes we are required to collect and remit:
    Telecom Relay Surcharge (Wireless) $0.02
    Communications Service Tax (Wireless) $0.67
    E911 (Wireless) $3.90
    Communications Service Tax $0.67
    Fed USF Cellular $0.58
    FCC Regulatory Fee (Wireless) $0.02

Your total was: $14.86

Hi brg,

Thanks for continuing to be a part of Ting!
    Here are a few details for your Ting bill for Apr 21 through May 20, 2017.

Plan Minutes Usage S 16 minutes $3.00
    Line Fee Volt/773XXXYYYY $6.00 Apr 21 - May 20

Here are the taxes we are required to collect and remit:
    Telecom Relay Surcharge (Wireless) $0.02
    Communications Service Tax (Wireless) $0.67
    E911 (Wireless) $3.90
    Communications Service Tax $0.67
    Fed USF Cellular $0.58
    FCC Regulatory Fee (Wireless) $0.02

Your total was: $14.86

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Re: taxes -- we only collect what is legally required. We don't add fees. We also figure based on the zip code you give us, so if your taxes are high, the issue might be with your elected representatives.

And re: buckets. The 20for20 deal is separate from our regular rate buckets and is just something we're trying.

And worth mentioning that the "one minute is $3!" thing -- that's the first bucket. That covers you up to 105 minutes. You wouldn't eat one potato chip and say that the one chip cost you $4 because you bought the bag, right?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post
    And worth mentioning that the "one minute is $3!" thing -- that's the first bucket. That covers you up to 105 minutes. You wouldn't eat one potato chip and say that the one chip cost you $4 because you bought the bag, right?
    so you think 105 talk 105 text and 105 Mb of data is actually a good value at $15/mo plus taxes etc? Does ting offer free brainwashing classes at your company? Sorry, but your company has woefully outdated tiered models. If a person accidentally uses 106 talk 106 text and 106Mb of data... whoops! now they are on the hook for $30 + taxes. Is $30 for such a paltry amount really a good deal? I think if you didn't work for this company you'd say otherwise.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'd love to give this a try, but the "goes back to regular rates in 2020" language basically means that there's a port-out end date for me. If I were to replicate this plan with the regular pricing, it would be over $250/month on Ting (sorry, just saw this up-thread, too). I always check in from time to time because Ting seems like a great company (I've been using Hover for years), but even using my phone a little would blow the price past what I'm paying now.

For that case, I'd either get Sprint Kickstart and hang on to it or stick with just about every modest (5GB to unlimited) prepaid plan from other big carriers.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I think if you didn't work for this company you'd say otherwise.
    The goal was never to say it's the best fit for everyone. At our rates, we KNOW it's not the best fit for everyone. But bundling lines and cross-network billing is something we're still very proud of. Still no other MVNO is doing it. Even the cross-network ones require separate billing.

Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I'd love to give this a try, but the "goes back to regular rates in 2020" language basically means that there's a port-out end date for me.
    This is why it's not on offer on our front page. This is another experiment in our back pocket, so-to-speak. And there would be ample warning before it switched back to standard rates, and in the interim $20 for talk/text/20GB is beyond cheaper than anything else I can find in the MVNO space right now.

Disclosure: I work for Ting.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is why it's not on offer on our front page. This is another experiment in our back pocket, so-to-speak. And there would be ample warning before it switched back to standard rates, and in the interim $20 for talk/text/20GB is beyond cheaper than anything else I can find in the MVNO space right now.
    Oh, I completely understand - really nice to see the different experiments going on. I know some of your regular rates are hamstrung by waiting on the results of the T-Mobile/Sprint merger. For a single line, this is amazing pricing (outside of maybe Kickstart, but that's neither prepaid nor an MVNO)—for me, my worry would be that I'd love the experience and then have to either cut back drastically or leave (20GB is way more than enough).

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T and Sprint), Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I tried Ting when RingPlus closed as well, they were expensive especially once introductory offer was over. The longer one stays with Ting, less competitive rate one will get as most MVNOs and carriers lower their rate and offer better plan over time. In contrast, Ting will not do that as it unambiguously stated that is their business strategy per Tucows’ Q1 2019 post-quarter question and answer dialogue with Elliot Noss, President and Chief Executive Officer.

There were also a variety of questions about our plans to address the lack of growth on Ting Mobile. Investors know that we have been able to find customers from exiting MVNOs with some regularity over the last few years. These have helped us post margin gains every year since 2012, even as organic growth has become tougher. Thankfully, the same conditions that have made growth tougher for us seem to be nudging less successful MVNOs toward exits. You have heard me say that there is more we can do to improve the business on the carrier side. SoI am confident we have levers to deliver growth yet again, in 2019. Meanwhile, we continue to explore and experiment with scalable, sustainable acquisition strategies and tactics, that we will share more as we progress.

Investors have also asked about our intentions to drop our mobile pricing. We note that we have a much greater challenge with awareness than we have with conversion or satisfaction.Indeed, our margins have grown over time with reduced carrier costs, and we are considering investing in customer growth. Lower rates help convert prospects that are aware of the service, but do little to drive awareness, which is still our greatest challenge. Also, lowering rates means paying a significant price on existing customers that are still quite satisfied and still churning ata relatively low rate. Spending that margin on awareness building, and targeted conversion tactics such as trial offers, targeted save tactics, or acquisition offers to other MVNOs, may end up giving us greater returns on our investments.
    Last edited by hoktrillian; 06-10-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    I tried Ting when RingPlus closed as well, they were expensive especially once introductory offer was over. The longer one stays with Ting, less competitive rate one will get as most MVNOs and carriers lower their rate and offer better plan over time. In contrast, Ting will not do that as it unambiguously stated that is their business strategy per Tucows’ Q1 2019 post-quarter question and answer dialogue with Elliot Noss, President and Chief Executive Officer.
    Of course, they are telling investors what they want to hear there, namely high margins.
    If they did not say that, investors would sell off their shares.
    I have a feeling they may have other strategies in the back of their mind as well.
    The "high margin" story us a useful cover story while they experiment on the side.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The goal was never to say it's the best fit for everyone. At our rates, we KNOW it's not the best fit for everyone. But bundling lines and cross-network billing is something we're still very proud of. Still no other MVNO is doing it. Even the cross-network ones require separate billing.

Disclosure: I work for Ting.
    I must say, Ting has excellent (and I might even say unmatched) customer service.

That aside, I do wonder what the goal of this experiment is. This is a ridiculously good rate, but I'm not even tempted to entertain it because I know that I have to port out in 6 months. I have family members on postpaid who would love this, but not if it means having to shop around again in December.

This plan attracts a completely different usage pattern than the one Ting typically markets to.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    I must say, Ting has excellent (and I might even say unmatched) customer service.
    how many, or which other mvnos have you used? I can think of several just as good, so ting isn't anything special, and i certainly would not go so far as to give them a lofty "unmatched' moniker.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Fi, XM
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was switching provider on Red Pocket and quickly learned the name of the customer service person who was not up to the job. Also learned the name of the one who was good and any time later I rather politely disconnected chat unless I got the one who was taking care of my issues without problems.
    Similarly I have spent an hour at Xfinity Mobile store and even stopped the person because could not even repeat my phone number correctly. Another day another person flawlessly corrected the issue.
    Of course I got help from Ting, I do not think I need to spell out the name of our person here, even when I wanted to try out Sprint 1y free service with a phone which was on a Sprint MVNO before.
    I just wish Ting would have a service similar to Google Fi, i.e. international roaming at LTE speeds but with Talk/Text buckets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast