Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Umidigi phones on Tmo and Metro

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Umidigi phones on Tmo and Metro

After ZTE's implosion and the U.S. government ban related to Huawei I recently found myself wondering what budget phones I'd like to try out.

Motorola recently offered the G7 line, but the model I was most interested in (the G7 power) only has a 720p screen and no NFC.

I'm looking forward to the pending release of the LG Stylo 5. But, what kind of battery strength will it have?3400mah range? Not so good.

Xiaomi makes some great phones but they often lack all the needed bands to take full advantage of the Tmo network.

So that lead me to a company called Umidigi. The unlocked world versions of their phones have enough support for Tmo bands that I think they're quite attractive. The prices are amazing too. I recently picked up the Umidigi F1 Play on sale for $186 and will be trying it on Metro very soon. It has even more battery power (5100mah) than the Moto G7 Power, it has a full HD screen, has NFC, and is less expensive.

Here's a link to the Umidigi website in case anyone wants to go on the same adventure of trying some of these phones. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Also, if anyone has any advice for steps to take for proper activation on Metro or Tmo please post them here.

https://www.umidigi.com/

The phones are often for sale on Amazon.

What do you think? I'm not expecting anything amazing, but this should be fun. It's nice to have options.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I find the lack of band 71 to be a tad off-putting. Let us know how it works out.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I find the lack of band 71 to be a tad off-putting. Let us know how it works out.
    Good point. But, I've never had band 71 on ANY phone that I've owned so I'm not going to mind. I've been quite happy without it.

Sent from my Z981 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by cellphone-guy; 06-07-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The Stylo 4 has great battery life and I think it's only 3000mah. The mid-range processor really helps with battery.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using HoFo mobile app
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    The Stylo 4 has great battery life and I think it's only 3000mah. The mid-range processor really helps with battery.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using HoFo mobile app
    It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Stylo 5. For my uses a 3000mah battery just isn't good enough. The Blade Zmax I had been using had a 4000mah and it would get me to the end of the day... but that phone died on me recently. I'm back on a temporary phone with 3400mah (Zmax Pro) and it just doesn't cut it. I'm going to NEED the 5100mah on the Umidigi. I use my phone a lot and I don't want to worry about charging. I hear that the Moto G7 power can get three days on a charge and the Umidigi is supposed to get somewhere around the same (less probably because of the higher resolution screen... so it's a trade off).

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm on my phone a lot and most phones are at 20% by 3:30 but my style 4 is usually still at 60%. My mother-in-law just told me that she charges her's every third day.

Sent from my LG-H918 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    I'm on my phone a lot and most phones are at 20% by 3:30 but my style 4 is usually still at 60%. My mother-in-law just told me that she charges her's every third day.

People usually really like their Stylo's (with good reason). Those are great battery numbers and I appreciate the input. It's just not the phone for me at this time. If the Umidigi doesn't work out I might look into the Stylo 5 depending on the battery. But for now I feel like being adventurous and trying the Umidigi. I hope it works out. I'll post my review here after it arrives and I use it for a while.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    sounds like someone just needs to carry a power pack.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    sounds like someone just needs to carry a power pack.
    Wow, what horrible advice. I used to do that in the old days. What a pain. Actually, sounds like I did the right thing by getting a phone with a 5100mah battery. Wish me luck BTW, that's why companies make phones with large capacity batteries (like the Moto G7 power and the Umidigi that I picked up), for those who DON'T want to carry a power pack. People prioritize features of phones differently, thus different models and features. Good luck with your phone and the features you enjoy (and your power pack if needed). I'm hoping to having fun with mine (minus the power pack).

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Oh, I understand. It is not for everyone. It needs more ram as it closes apps sometimes that I need to keep running in the background, and is slow every once in awhile. That's where a bigger battery and better specs would be nice.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    Wow, what horrible advice.
    No, it's superb advice. If your usage is that high, and if you have no opportunity to plug in during the day to top things off, and if running out of juice is a worry, then carry a power pack.

Yes, plug in during the day to top off.

It sounds like you made huge tradeoffs JUST to solve the power problem which is EASILY solved in other ways (just put the phone down for half an hour and plug it in!).

But you can't fix the missing bands and whatever other things you chose to do without.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No, it's superb advice. If your usage is that high, and if you have no opportunity to plug in during the day to top things off, and if running out of juice is a worry, then carry a power pack.

Yes, plug in during the day to top off.

It sounds like you made huge tradeoffs JUST to solve the power problem which is EASILY solved in other ways (just put the phone down for half an hour and plug it in!).

But you can't fix the missing bands and whatever other things you chose to do without.
    when buying a budget phone (and sometimes even a flagship) tradeoffs are often made. Like I said, users prioritize those things, that's why phones have an assortment of features. I feel that I've made a good choice for my needs, but thank you so much for telling me what my needs are and/or should be. A power pack may be a good solution for some, but if I can avoid it I'm going to. That's why they make phones with large capacity batteries. Makes sense to me, if not to you... that's your choice. As far as the lack of bands, if you're talking about missing band 71, I've never owned a phone that uses that band... so from my perspective there's no trade-off. If that's important to you... then definitely buy a phone with that band.

Have a wonderful day

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just put the phone down for half an hour and plug it in.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just put the phone down for half an hour and plug it in.
    You're just full of wonderful solutions. The marketing departments at most phone companies that produce large capacity batteries need you on their team. You'll save them lots of money. I can see it now, the next big idea will be a phone with a flip out electrical plug and the smallest capacity battery possible. People will gladly gather around power outlets.

Because of you I'm getting out my old VCR and switching to a wood burning stove.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    when buying a budget phone (and sometimes even a flagship) tradeoffs are often made. Like I said, users prioritize those things, that's why phones have an assortment of features. .......
    I went for the Moto G7 Power and while I like the battery life (never seen it below 75%), is this sucker ever heavy! Not looking forward to hauling it up Mt. LeConte later this month. Sometimes small and sleek are good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast