Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop has been sold to Red Pocket

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ting always allows tethering. They're going to allow it on this plan too.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    While the "intro" rates are competitive... "Our unprecedented $20 for 20GB and $6+ $4 per GB offers are guaranteed through 2019. In 2020, you’ll automatically be moved over to Ting’s great pay for what you use rates."

the notion that they will expire in a few months and you're left with Ting's standard rates, which are not very favorable... well seems like a non-starter.

What's happening on the AT&T side (of freedompop accounts) ?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    While the "intro" rates are competitive... "Our unprecedented $20 for 20GB and $6+ $4 per GB offers are guaranteed through 2019. In 2020, you’ll automatically be moved over to Ting’s great pay for what you use rates."

the notion that they will expire in a few months and you're left with Ting's standard rates, which are not very favorable... well seems like a non-starter.
    So clearly so, in fact, that I have to assume that the actual intention is to renew the offers provided the experiment is considered a success.

Otherwise I would have no interest whatsoever.

After all, they did give permanent offers to the accounts they took over from Boom. They gave then unlimited data as well as permanent plans all for $20.

Also, KickStart is available from Sprint for $25 a month with unlimited data and is good for at least 3 years once you sign up.

The Ting $6 / $4 offer is priced exactly the same as Tello for the 1 GV and 2 GB data size, but is lower cost at some higher data levels so I think that one has some merit given some other advantages they offer (such as voice roaming). But only at current offer prices. If they increased them, they would not be competitive.

So they are sending mixed signals and I do not know what exactly to make of them. Why would they have significantly lowered the offer they gave in the Boom takeover? I was very disappointed by that.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-18-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ...What's happening on the AT&T side (of freedompop accounts) ?
    I have not heard anything new about Red Pocket and Freedompop-AT&T. In the mean time, mine are functioning as usual, presumably still on Freedompop.

Reminder: Anything about Freedompop with Ting is for the FP Sprint service. The FP AT&T service is purported to go to Red Pocket at some time unknown to us.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I know I'm late to the thread (I'm swamped right now) but yes, tethering works natively on Ting at all rates. You can use your 20GB as you see fit. We won't make a stink unless it borders on or crosses the line into illegal, per our terms.

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post
    I know I'm late to the thread (I'm swamped right now) but yes, tethering works natively on Ting at all rates. You can use your 20GB as you see fit. We won't make a stink unless it borders on or crosses the line into illegal, per our terms.
    LiterallyUnlim, I assume you are a Ting rep?

I have several dozen Freedompop mifi accounts with moribund devices or obsolete technology (i.e. WiMax). Can I assume that if I do nothing, they will simply be cancelled out on Ting? I tried to use your website to cancel one, but it requires an IMEI or phone number, and I may not have that information in all cases.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    so how do we get our devices off of Freedompop? Can we do straight ports right now? say port out to Tello?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    so how do we get our devices off of Freedompop? Can we do straight ports right now? say port out to Tello?
    They are on Ting now.

You can port them right off Ting to Tello

It will tell you if you need to wait longer.

https://ting.com/mobile/freedompop

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    LiterallyUnlim, I assume you are a Ting rep?

I have several dozen Freedompop mifi accounts with moribund devices or obsolete technology (i.e. WiMax). Can I assume that if I do nothing, they will simply be cancelled out on Ting? I tried to use your website to cancel one, but it requires an IMEI or phone number, and I may not have that information in all cases.

Yes, I work for Ting. We're under stupidly heavy load right now (10x volume) so apologies for delayed responses all around.

If you don't have the IMEI, I can look it up for you by FreedomPop email address. But please don't send it to me here on HoFo DMs. Send it to me at [email protected] so there's a paper trail.

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyUnlim View Post
    Yes, I work for Ting. We're under stupidly heavy load right now (10x volume) so apologies for delayed responses all around.

If you don't have the IMEI, I can look it up for you by FreedomPop email address. But please don't send it to me here on HoFo DMs. Send it to me at [email protected] so there's a paper trail.
    What happens if we do nothing? Most of the accounts are inactive and no longer needed.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    They are on Ting now.

You can port them right off Ting to Tello

It will tell you if you need to wait longer.

https://ting.com/mobile/freedompop

Thanks. Sorry to be dense with this, been away from it awhile (Sprint weirdnesses)...
    So other than the standard porting requirements (acct no is phone number? PIN is? (what???) etc)...

What additional nonsense will be needed to get a Sprint device formerly on FP, onto Tello (or even Ting)? For example, all that pseudo-VOIP crap with FP, delete all that and voice and SMS will start working with native phone and texting apps? What about data provisioning? I hope no new SIMs are needed, just the weird device-specific Sprint data SIMs, yes?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks. Sorry to be dense with this, been away from it awhile (Sprint weirdnesses)...
    so other than the standard porting requirements (acct no is phone number? PIN is? (what???) etc)...

What addition nonsense will be needed to get a Sprint device formerly on FP, onto Tello (or even Ting)? For example, all that pseudo-VOIP crap with FP, delete all that and voice and SMS will start working with native phone and texting apps? What about data provisioning? I hope no new SIMs are needed, just the weird device-specific Sprint data SIMs, yes?
    You sign on at https://ting.com/mobile/freedompop

and it will give you the needed port out details including account number and pin.

Or, you can sign up right there for a Ting account and try it out if you want. $10 or $20 a month depending on how much data you want. If you want much cheaper than that, best just port to Tello.

In either case, yes can use the existing sim as is without touching it (no GSM weirdness like requiring a different sim for every MVNO) and you will have all native voice and text, no VOIP.

You did not mention what phone you have but the above holds for almost any phone ypu would be likely to have used on Sprint-side FP except a few obscure obsolete FP sold models.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-21-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You did not mention what phone you have but the above holds for almost any phone ypu would be likely to have used on Sprint-side FP except a few obscure obsolete FP sold models.
    thanks. I have several Sprint/FP phones... an Iphone 4S, an HTC One Max, also a Samsung Galaxy Tab E (Sprint). I'm particularly interested in moving the Tab E to Tello... maybe the HTC One Max also.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    thanks. I have several Sprint/FP phones... an Iphone 4S, an HTC One Max, also a Samsung Galaxy Tab E (Sprint). I'm particularly interested in moving the Tab E to Tello... maybe the HTC One Max also.
    Well those are older phones so, without checking each one, if you want to be as safe as possible I would probably do ports rather than take them off and on to help cover the small possibility that one of them might not be able to be reactivated on the network once you take it off because of obsolescence or FED issues etc.

I think anything with LTE should be ok though (and some lacking LTE too). I do not see any of those that would be a problem right off but I cannot be 100% sure.

A port from Ting to Tello is not a true port, just a bookkeeping adjustment at Sprint, so I think it should be very safe.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

A port from Ting to Tello is not a true port, just a bookkeeping adjustment at Sprint, so I think it should be very safe.
    This depends on how good Tello's systems are. Sprint is weird in that they won't let you port from one Sprint entity to another directly with the same device. You can see this when Sprint says certain MVNO numbers aren't eligible for promos (like the free year).

When Sprint goes to check the device on behalf of the MVNO, if it's already active somewhere on the Sprint network, it'll report back as incompatible or already active.

We worked around this at Ting, but I've heard reports from customers trying to go to Tello from Ting CDMA report that Tello says Sprint is refusing to activate because you can't BYOD and port from an active Sprint device that you intend to have active at the end of the port.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast