Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop has been sold to Red Pocket

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    No - they just decided to port them to Cellular numbers (or taker initial steps toward that) as the first step to get that out of the way up front. Then will come free trial etc.
    Oh. The "Your device is in the process of being migrated to a fully native experience with the same plan you have today" part made it sound like it would keep "the same plan you have today", which is currently free. That statement makes it sound like there will be no change to the existing plan. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just got notice of this post by FreedomPop about the acquisition and wanted to share it with the class:

https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...id/3695/kw/red

Don't see anymore detail than what is posted already here. (However, my reading comprehension has been known to be poor.)

Feedback Score
    Here you go: https://ting.com/mobile/freedompop

No free ride, sorry.
    A genius is one who shoots at something no one else can see, and hits it (author unknown).

--
    Liborio

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post

No free ride, sorry.

Thanks! I am glad we have got it out finally.

Despite the fact that it says it will expire at year end, I believe they will try to extend it.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-08-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Feedback Score

FP - 12 Months of 1GB/Mo data on sale again at Best Buy, $39.99

For sh*ts and giggles I bought a 12 month/1GB FP SIM from Best Buy to add to my 100/100/500 $60 annual plan from Red Pocket. On this FP Q&A they are pretty explicit about the annual SIMS remaining valid: "Will my preloaded semi-annual or annual plan be discontinued? No. We’re planning no major changes to any existing plan."

"I purchased a SIM from retail store but haven’t activated it yet, will my purchase be honored? Yes! Please follow the activation instructions you received with your SIM kit."

And today I find I could have saved $10 because Best Buy has the 12 month/1GB SIMS on sale again for $39.99.

FreedomPop - 12-Month Prepaid Plan LTE 3-in-1 SIM Card Kit 710465430143 | eBay

FreedomPop 12-Month Prepaid Plan LTE 3-in-1 SIM Card Kit FPLTESIMVD12MO - Best Buy

I'm tempted to buy another card and hold on to it. Although it's hard to believe that RP will continue to offer this plan once Target and Best Buy have sold out their current cards. I have searched high and low for a GSM MVNO that offers a GB of data a month for less than $20 (I don't need many minutes or texts). RP is the lowest data only plan at $10/GB with AT&T. Tello apparently offers a GB for only $6 but I would use a tin can before I'd buy a Sprint phone (kidding).

It will be interesting to see how RP handles a transition to native calling and texting. I don't see how they can do it for much less than their annual plans already offer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    ...The email tells me that I must:

"perform profile update by dialing this number based on your device:

- For Android device: ##72786#"

Pretty funny for an android hotspot with no keyboard or dialer app....
    Profile update is a Sprint only thing. On a Sprint hotspot there is a menu setting to do it.

I recommend not trying to do a profile update on AT&T SIM devices.

I got the FP message today. I just tried my phone. Data works. Running the FP Messaging app results in an error: "Account Not Active/Please re-sync account data or log out and back in."

Calling from the standard dialer app works. It appears they have actually gone cellular.

Things are a changing.

Time to check my accounts statuses.

[Edit] The FP Sprint line shows as active at FP. So does a FP AT&T line. The AT&T line is operating as usual with the FP app.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 07-08-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: update

Feedback Score

Despite the fact that it says it will expire at year end, I believe they will try to extend it.
    Hi, comintel:

Hope springs eternal in the human breast:
    Man never is, but always to be blest:
    The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
    Rests and expatiates in a life to come.
    (From An Essay on Man by Alexander Pope)

Couldn't resist.

Feedback Score
    Hi, comintel:

Hope springs eternal in the human breast:
    Man never is, but always to be blest:
    The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
    Rests and expatiates in a life to come.
    (From An Essay on Man by Alexander Pope)

Couldn't resist.
    That is very nice.

However I based what I said on statements they have made elsewhere, not on hope.

They have already given Boom takeover subscribers a permanent price guarantee on still better terms than these.

It is clear to me that that is the underlying plan but they have to get "underwriting experience" with how people use the plan before they can make it a promise.

Maybe you have another poem about excessive cynicism? I see an awful lot of that.

Feedback Score

Where do you see this? I mean "it says it will expire at year end".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Where do you see this? I mean "it says it will expire at year end".
    I am not going to get into petty arguing over this. I was perfectly clear that what I predict is not stated in the offer. What I said is based on comments they have made elsewhere and what they did for Boom takeover subscribers.

Is an extension beyond year end promised for us? No. Is it possible/likely? Yes, because they already made it permanent for Boom takeover subscribers. As a matter of fact the Boom offer was still better than this one is so far.

Wait to the end of the year and you will see.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-08-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Feedback Score
    . .

Maybe you have another poem about excessive cynicism? I see an awful lot of that.
    Here you go (a quote, though, not a poem):

Perhaps the biggest myth about cynicism is that it deepens with age. I think what really happens is that experience painfully rips away layers of scales from our eyes, and so we do indeed become more cynical about many of the things we naively accepted when younger.
    (By Julian Baggini).

For the record, Ting is the best Sprint and T-Mobile MVNO that I've ever dealt with. Customer Service Reps. are extremely pleasant and proactive.

However, its pricing structure is not for everyone -- especially when Tello (great C.S.) and Teltik (mediocre C.S.) offer Sprint and T-Mobile plans, respectively, for around $20.00, with unlimited talk and text and a good deal of data.

I disgustedly left FreedomPOP years ago because of its unethical business practices. I also forgot about an old phone and number with free unlimited talk, text and 500G of data that, surprisingly, Ting just took over.

Since I haven't used the No. for a while, I'm not sure whether I'll spend any money with Ting to keep it.

Feedback Score
    Here you go (a quote, though, not a poem):

Perhaps the biggest myth about cynicism is that it deepens with age. I think what really happens is that experience painfully rips away layers of scales from our eyes, and so we do indeed become more cynical about many of the things we naively accepted when younger.
    (By Julian Baggini).........
    I am impressed!

Feedback Score

No free ride, sorry.
    That thing takes you to registering for a Ting account. I just want to cancel the whole thing. I would really prefer not to setup a Ting account just to cancel it.

If I just do nothing will it go away?

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    That thing takes you to registering for a Ting account. I just want to cancel the whole thing. I would really prefer not to setup a Ting account just to cancel it.

Thoughts?
    Eventually yes, but they will make every effort to get a definite response from you one way or the other first, so it would be better to cancel if you want to limit the number of emails you get from them. They are a reputable company and will not do anything improper with your contact info.

They obviously have to make every effort to get confirmatory account information from you before they can assume you (or anyone) is the actual account owner and really wants to cancel that exact account and release the number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

Thoughts?
    I would defer to comintel's reply, but, I believe it would go away.

Also, you could presently write to <[email protected]> and request a cancellation. Be sure to include as much information about your acccount as possible.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Liborio; 07-08-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast