Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody switched their FIDO over to eSIM?

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score

Has anybody switched their FIDO over to eSIM?

From April 24/19
    Fido Launch eSIM for iPhone

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrie...iphone-xs-max/

I'm wondering if anybody has switched over to eSIM yet? Would like to do it for my next trip to US and set up my Roam Mobility before I go.

I do not have a store close to me and quite a drive to closest FIDO store that can do the switch but want to know in advance if there's any glitches or does it go smoothly?

Thanks
    FIDO Network

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 plus
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Went smoothly for me and no issues what so ever.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone enabled data only plan on esim? Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk
    Freedom Mobile Promo 50 Everywhere Canada

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr FIDO
    Feedback Score

Has anybody switched their FIDO over to eSIM?

Finally switched over to eSIM. I dropped into Square One in Mississauga. Only complication was he forgot to switch me onto their WiFi for the switch. Once he got onto WiFi it took seconds. Very easy and now my SIM tray is empty for my AT&T SIM for my trips to the US.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbusguy View Post
    Finally switched over to eSIM. I dropped into Square One in Mississauga. Only complication was he forgot to switch me onto their WiFi for the switch. Once he got onto WiFi it took seconds. Very easy and now my SIM tray is empty for my AT&T SIM for my trips to the US.
    Is it easy to switch the esim to another phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker317 View Post
    Is it easy to switch the esim to another phone?
    Are both devices are eSim compatible?
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Z24 View Post
    Are both devices are eSim compatible?
    Switching from one iPhone to another (both with estimated support)

Easy to do or no?

Feedback Score

My guess is not

Quote Originally Posted by Striker317 View Post
    Switching from one iPhone to another (both with estimated support)

Easy to do or no?
    I'm literally trying to do this now. I switched my XS to eSim earlier this year and that was a royal pain as Fido limited the stores that had eSim to only a couple in 'Vancouver' (closest was in Burnaby in Metrotown).

I now have an 11 Pro and trying to switch and I have a feeling it is going to require a store visit which, if true, will make me leave Fido altogether. I'm on hold with support and the person I'm speaking with you has never dealt with eSim's.

I tried scanning the old eSim card, but it's not valid anymore. This whole physical eSim deployment of Fido's is stupid at best and defeats the benefit of eSim altogether.

I'll let you know if I make any progress.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    esim QR code can only be used on one device. Once you remove it from the old device, it is not valid any longer.

Freedom allows user to switch to esim online under account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    I'll let you know if I make any progress.
    Following up to this, Fido has done a terrible job of implementing eSIMs. You can only switch phones with eSIM by going back to a Fido store and purchasing another eSIM QR code card for $9. And the stores are still limited to only a handful with none in downtown Vancouver.

So essentially they've taken something that was going to be an improvement on traditional SIMs and implemented in such a way that it's actually worse. Their insistence on tying the QR codes to a physical card and limiting the distribution of those cards (on top of charging for each one) is ludicrous.

Feedback Score

Question

Following up to this, Fido has done a terrible job of implementing eSIMs. You can only switch phones with eSIM by going back to a Fido store and purchasing another eSIM QR code card for $9. And the stores are still limited to only a handful with none in downtown Vancouver.

So essentially they've taken something that was going to be an improvement on traditional SIMs and implemented in such a way that it's actually worse. Their insistence on tying the QR codes to a physical card and limiting the distribution of those cards (on top of charging for each one) is ludicrous.
    Im using eSim on XS. Switching to Pro soon.

Are you saying I have to pay that esim fee again to switch from 1 esim to another esim phone?

I was told I can scan the QR code from the original esim (used in XS) with my Pro to transfer my number from XS to Pro?

Feedback Score
    I tried scanning that QR code again and it was not valid. After 1.5 hrs on the phone with support they told me I had to go to a store and get another QR code eSIM card. To top it off, he told me to go to Pacific Centre Fido store and they told me again they don't have them and that Metrotown and Richmond are the only stores.

I'm moving over to TELUS tomorrow - I'm done with them. I know TELUS doesn't have eSIM (which seems crazy), but there's no way I'm giving these idiots at FIDO/Rogers another $.

Feedback Score
    I tried scanning that QR code again and it was not valid. After 1.5 hrs on the phone with support they told me I had to go to a store and get another QR code eSIM card. To top it off, he told me to go to Pacific Centre Fido store and they told me again they don't have them and that Metrotown and Richmond are the only stores.

I'm moving over to TELUS tomorrow - I'm done with them. I know TELUS doesn't have eSIM (which seems crazy), but there's no way I'm giving these idiots at FIDO/Rogers another $.
    Yup. Honestly though Telus has its issues too... WiFi calling on Android can't be set to WiFi preferred (it's a real setting, virgin had it), completely defeating the purpose of having it. They also spam me with promotions that Virgin never used to do.

Feedback Score
    Fair enough. Quite honestly though, I'm done with Rogers/Fido. I was already ready to switch because Rogers refuses to allow Fido customers to have cellular on Apple Watch and I've been wanting to add it to my account for a while.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Fair enough. Quite honestly though, I'm done with Rogers/Fido. I was already ready to switch because Rogers refuses to allow Fido customers to have cellular on Apple Watch and I've been wanting to add it to my account for a while.
    Switch to Freedom Mobile and you can swap esim online for free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast