Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is Google Carrier Services App ?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

What is Google Carrier Services App ?

The LG Rebel 4 is still new to me & when I turned it on the other day it updated 16 apps but not Carrier Services. I was looking at Play Store & the Installed apps and Carrier Services continuously displayed the checkbox “Update” and still does. IOW it did not update.

I don’t know if it supposed to be on the phone or if I accidentally clicked on it when I was searching for another app to install.

I did Google “Carrier Services” and it appears to have shown up a couple years ago & suppose to help with mobile services & networking, but some comments say it makes no difference.

The only reason I noticed it is because it did not update with all the other apps.

Is this an app that came with the phone & do I need it?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Maybe it needs a sim in there.

Maybe it needs to be restarted and let the other apps digest first.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Carrier Services is a utility of Android. Current version is 23.0.245332218-carrierservices_V23G_RC13 last updated on May 31, 2019. Check your version in the Apps section of Settings.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I may not have the full story here, but my understanding of the function of Carrier Services is that it is for working in conjunction with more up to date versions of Google Messages to provide the more enhanced features of that messaging app (and perhaps others that utilize it); namely RCS-level features.

What all those are is something I'm not up to speed on. On my LG Fiesta 2 I have not installed Carrier Services and have not allowed updates to Messages. Kind of curious to see how long I can hold out. Besides, my primary SMS-ing is done with Google Voice.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Carrier Services is a utility of Android. Current version is 23.0.245332218-carrierservices_V23G_RC13 last updated on May 31, 2019. Check your version in the Apps section of Settings.
    Thanks -

I checked mine again earlier this evening & it was now pdated, just like all the other apps.

I also spoke with a friend who has a new LG, but a different model, & Carrier Services is on his phone. So I'm presuming I did not accidentally install it. But it threw me off because it did not update with the other apps.

I have the same version you have but mine states last updated April 29, 2019.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I had to install Carrier Services on my J7 Crown S767VL and J7 Sky Pro S727VL to get RCS working at least.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    advcomp2019, did your Messages app work without Carrier Services, providing standard SMS functions?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I can use SMS/MMS without installing Carrier Services, but I had to install it and Google Messages to get RCS to work as of right now.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That kind of supports what I was thinking on the subject.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I can use SMS/MMS without installing Carrier Services, but I had to install it and Google Messages to get RCS to work as of right now.
    According to Verizon if you tap Settings > Advanced > Chat features in Google Messages and get the setup menu you should be enabled for Android Message Chat. I assume that is the same as RCS Chat. I have the menu, but it just has a spinning arrow that goes nowhere. My assumption is that Verizon has not enabled it for my account/phone. What are you seeing?

My Moto had Google Messages factory installed. Think it gained some features from an update last Summer. Not sure about Carrier Services, as I was not aware of it until this conversation.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    This is what I see right now.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190605-212050_Messages.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  34.3 KB
    I had this menu for a short time before it updated again. I found out they accidentally sent out a dogfood version. Then I found out that they might be switching the menu to this one later one too.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190426-145108_Messages.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  38.4 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wow, this is more direct info than I've ever seen about this topic. Thanks for posting the screen shots.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Nope, I don't get that far in the setup.

Settings > Advanced > Chat features get's this screen
    Name:  Screenshot_20190606-132934.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  33.8 KB

Tapping NEXT goes to this screen.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190606-133349.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  16.6 KB

The spinning arrow will just keep going. Nothing changes. Tapping GOT IT just goes back to the Advanced menu.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Loboheeler, after thinking about this, I think I remember reading that only Straight Talk and Total Wireless are the only ones that supports RCS right now.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Loboheeler, after thinking about this, I think I remember reading that only Straight Talk and Total Wireless are the only ones that supports RCS right now.
    Yep, TF did not have the feature a while back when it was first discussed. Just have to keep trying every once in awhile. A lot of people will never see it anyway, as they use alternate messaging apps. You also need to be in contact with someone who has it like iMessages has been.

There are other things I like in Google Messages like "Messages for web", which allows you to use a computer as a terminal for the phone messaging system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast