Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Dual SIM Smartphones Suitable For AT&T And Verizon MVNOs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I don't think most posters here realize how useless (by and large) dual SIM phones are in the US.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    For most people, you're right.

I personally would get one if there was one with the specs I need.
    I would use Mint in one slot and a Verizon MVNO eg the Red Pocket $5 plan for those times when I'm in a T-Mobile dead zone.
    Or maybe FP for data and Truphone or Ting for calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    I can state one case in particular: if one is traveling in the Plains/Midwest. There are very noticeable gaps in coverage in Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado and TX Panhandle with every national carrier. Having a Dual SIM phone will help while traveling.

It would definitely help me having a dual SIM phone that actually works on VZW MVNOs correctly. MVNO support on eSIM is disappointing to say the least. I am tempted to import a Hong Kong iPhone XS, but I am worried it won’t work on Verizon’s VoLTE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    I guess you have never worked somewhere that required a separate cell phone number for work calls? I had bosses specifically buy a dual SIM phone to negate needing to carry two devices. The introduction of eSIM (and more US-compatible Dual SIM phones) has helped people avoid carrying both a work cell and personal cell.

It really depends on use cases, and work-related use cases are growing due to the fact that our workplaces need constant available contact with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    For most people, you're right.

I personally would get one if there was one with the specs I need.
    I would use Mint in one slot and a Verizon MVNO eg the Red Pocket $5 plan for those times when I'm in a T-Mobile dead zone.
    Or maybe FP for data and Truphone or Ting for calls.
    Yes. Those are some of the Dual SIM phone scenarios for the US that I was thinking of. There are probably others, too. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FP GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Yes. Those are some of the Dual SIM phone scenarios for the US that I was thinking of. There are probably others, too. Thanks.
    I have been using dual sim for years to combine cheap/free voice with cheap data. Currently using lifeline 1000mins 1.5gb and an FP annual data sim. I have used various combos over the years. I don't have very step data needs so I currently have paid 35 for the past year. Hopefully, I will make more money soon to not qualify for a lifeline line and I'll then most likely go with freeup for voice. Story short I welcome all dual sims!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by appleshampoo View Post
    I have been using dual sim for years to combine cheap/free voice with cheap data. Currently using lifeline 1000mins 1.5gb and an FP annual data sim. I have used various combos over the years. I don't have very step data needs so I currently have paid 35 for the past year. Hopefully, I will make more money soon to not qualify for a lifeline line and I'll then most likely go with freeup for voice. Story short I welcome all dual sims!!!
    That's another great example. What dual SIM phone have you been using?

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FP GSM
    Feedback Score
    That's another great example. What dual SIM phone have you been using?
    Currently the Blu xi+ GSM. I have used imported motos in past. If money was no object I would like to try the new mi mix 3. The recent news about HUAWEI kinda stinks as they have had some nice dual sim offerings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by appleshampoo View Post
    Currently the Blu xi+ GSM. I have used imported motos in past. If money was no object I would like to try the new mi mix 3. The recent news about HUAWEI kinda stinks as they have had some nice dual sim offerings.
    That Blu XI+ is a nice phone. Have they been offering an update to make it Vzw compatible, but at the same time make it only single SIM capable?

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Truphone, Three, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    If Vzw VoLTE isn't functioning on your Umidigi F1 with an already activated swapped in Vzw SIM, what happens to your Vzw voice service when CDMA is shut off after 12/31/19?

It's possible I'm not understanding something, so please let us know. Thanks!
    Sorry bad advice on my part. I misunderstood the volte issue... thought it was a voice quality issue not voice going away at the end of the year issue. thanks

Feedback Score
    >There are very noticeable gaps in coverage in Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma...

You're paying for two plans for the benefit of having coverage while traveling. I can see this for professionals who need it for their trade, but not for your average consumer. It's an outlier.

>It would definitely help me having a dual SIM phone that actually works on VZW MVNOs correctly.

OnePlus 6T and 7 Pro both have dual-SIM and are certified for Verizon. As with all dual-SIM phones, only one SIM slot can be CDMA.

>import a Hong Kong iPhone XS, but I am worried it won’t work on Verizon’s VoLTE.

Phones need certification to work on Verizon, not just compatible hardware. An HK phone would have different firmware that precludes VoLTE (and any firmware-specific feature) on all carriers, not just VZW.

>I guess you have never worked somewhere that required a separate cell phone number for work calls? I had bosses specifically buy a dual SIM phone to negate needing to carry two devices.

Another fringe case. If your employer requires such, then it's your employer's problem. I'm curious which dual-SIM phone your boss(es) chose, because aside from the very recent phones that have eSIM (and the OnePlus 6T/7 Pro), there were no US dual-SIM models--unless your boss really likes no-name Chinese handsets.

Most people who need a work phone either get a separate phone, or have the employer reimburse for use of their personal phone. Regardless, there are many arguments for keeping your work and personal mobile use separate.

>I would use Mint in one slot and a Verizon MVNO eg the Red Pocket $5 plan for those times when I'm in a T-Mobile dead zone. Or maybe FP for data and Truphone or Ting for calls.

Yes, IIRC, this was the main reason why dual-SIM phone ever got a mention on this forum: People who want to use cheap SIM combo. It's always a handful that desire such use, and no longer in fashion with FP freebies dying out.

>I personally would get one if there was one with the specs I need.

That's the thing, isn't it? There is no cheap dual-SIM phone with "good" specs. Boz has had his "looking for dual-SIM" thing for over a year, and all that's offered is offbrand Chinese handsets which never have good US LTE coverage, let alone all their other deficiencies. There is the OnePlus 6T and 7 Pro, and of course the iPhone and Pixel which now have eSIM--but they're not cheap.

It won't get any better. The majority of US users still buy their phones from carriers, which have no incentive to make their phones more open. Most people have one plan and don't care about dual-SIM.

eSIM (dual-SIM) is an alternative. With iPhone leading the charge, provider support should get better. But as of now, only the Big 3 (no Sprint) support it in the US, and no MVNO support. I'm gauging 2-3 years, about same time frame as 5G.

There is a "cheap" eSIM phone: the Pixel 3A. $400 retail, $300 discounted launch price. I'm gauging $200 for 2020 BF. Google typically has good discounts for outgoing models.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZW
    Feedback Score
    The Unihertz Atom is a good dual SIM phone for calls. XF Mobile SIM works in it, has VoLTE. Does not have all the TMO bands.
    As a smartphone, it is tiny and has a bunch of unremovable apps.
    I wish someone would came out with a phone free of google or any third party apps. The Atom spends an awful long time trying to download the latest gboard updates which I disable anyway.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Dual SIM Smartphones Suitable For AT&T And Verizon MVNOs

Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    You're paying for two plans for the benefit of having coverage while traveling. I can see this for professionals who need it for their trade, but not for your average consumer. It's an outlier.
    There are a lot more regular users than you realize in the areas I mentioned. Why do you think travel/truck stops sell antenna amplifiers and various prepaid plans? They know it is a market for those that need a backup plan on the road or in the field. /shrug
    OnePlus 6T and 7 Pro both have dual-SIM and are certified for Verizon. As with all dual-SIM phones, only one SIM slot can be CDMA.
    Good. Thank you for providing that info. I will be looking at those models myself.
    Phones need certification to work on Verizon, not just compatible hardware. An HK phone would have different firmware that precludes VoLTE (and any firmware-specific feature) on all carriers, not just VZW.
    iOS firmware is carrier agnostic. The only part of the OS that would be a concern is the carrier profile which contains APN info. I recall some Intel-chip iPhone 7s that AT&T/T-Mobile sold didn’t have Verizon’s carrier profile but still work as expected on LTE data with the proper APN settings. VoLTE was the issue.
    Techhnically, Verizon only last year certified/whitelisted most unlocked non-VZW iPhone models.
    Apparently all iPhone X and XR/S models are certified... so your point here is moot and my previous concern unwarranted.
    Another fringe case. If your employer requires such, then it's your employer's problem. I'm curious which dual-SIM phone your boss(es) chose, because aside from the very recent phones that have eSIM (and the OnePlus 6T/7 Pro), there were no US dual-SIM models--unless your boss really likes no-name Chinese handsets.

Most people who need a work phone either get a separate phone, or have the employer reimburse for use of their personal phone. Regardless, there are many arguments for keeping your work and personal mobile use separate.
    I recall one boss buying a ASUS ZenFone 2. That isn’t a knockoff brand and was sold in the US unlocked with both T-Mobile and AT&T bands.

There are ways to keep both lines separate and most OSes will tell you what line a call originated/made from. Plus people like familiarity and convenience.
    Employers do reimburse most times or provide their own devices for free, but in my past experience it can be a lackluster experience. Still don’t believe this is a fringe use case, but to each his own.
    Yes, IIRC, this was the main reason why dual-SIM phone ever got a mention on this forum: People who want to use cheap SIM combo. It's always a handful that desire such use, and no longer in fashion with FP freebies dying out.
    Even if you discount FP, there are cheap options for nearly every carrier now. The OP even has stated a good option using America Movil brands. My guess is his two AM plans costs about the cost of one Verizon postpaid plan. You can easily get two or more MVNO/prepaid monthly plans for less than one postpaid plan. That’s the great thing about prepaid.
    That's the thing, isn't it? There is no cheap dual-SIM phone with "good" specs.
    There is the OnePlus 6T and 7 Pro, and of course the iPhone and Pixel which now have eSIM--but they're not cheap.
    I feel what was said before about the Google device line is right: it has a decent value to cost ratio. If someone wants to have a phone for 3+ years of use, then they won’t mind paying a little more upfront for it. It’s not unlike buying a car, people try to buy new and use them for several years.
    I feel you presume most prepaid users want a cheap plan and a cheap phone. I still see people buying newer iPhones and using them on America Movil brands or carrier’s prepaid services. People like this want a lower monthly expense not necessarily a cheap device needing replaced every year.
    It won't get any better. The majority of US users still buy their phones from carriers, which have no incentive to make their phones more open.
    This is probably your only real valid point, because of convenience on the part of the consumer. But we are seeing that change with the Pixel line and the idea of having an unlocked device that can be swapped between carriers easily.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    The Atom intrigues me.

I actually have the Unihertz Jelly Pro. It's handy for certain things (I take it while jogging for music / fitness tracking / to have an emergency phone and it's so small and light I don't feel it at all. It also performs well as a hotspot to tether my laptop when I have no WiFi.

The issues are: battery is too small, no dual 4G, and no CDMA

The Atom seems to fix those. I'm almost considering buying one.

As far as bloatware. The Jelly Pro is easy to root. I did that, installed TWRP and Xposed (and maybe Magisk too, I have to double check) and was able to disable all the bloat .

Feedback Score
    I can confirm that the OnePlus 7 Pro (which has dual SIM slots) works with a Verizon SIM in one slot and an AT&T in the other. You can select which SIM is used for various functions (i.e. one for voice, the other for data, etc.) As I remember VoLTE is supported but not WiFi calling.

Note that this is for the unlocked/uncrippled model available direct from OnePlus. The T-Mobile version deletes dual SIM functionality.

Device(s)
    Pixel4XL, s10+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    It is night and day difference between the Jelly Pro and the Atom. The Jelly Pro was just too slow and 2GB or RAM is just not enough even for my minimal number of apps. I gave the Jelly Pro away!

Dual SIM 4G is nice of course on the Atom.
    Bands: L 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 12 13 17 18 19 20 25 26 28 34 38 39 40 41 W 1 2 4 5 8 BC 0 1
    So missing bands 14, 29, 30, 46, 66 and 71 (can't win em all)!!!
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    It is night and day difference between the Jelly Pro and the Atom. The Jelly Pro was just too slow and 2GB or RAM is just not enough even for my minimal number of apps. I gave the Jelly Pro away!

Dual SIM 4G is nice of course on the Atom.
    Bands: L 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 12 13 17 18 19 20 25 26 28 34 38 39 40 41 W 1 2 4 5 8 BC 0 1
    So missing bands 14, 29, 30, 46, 66 and 71 (can't win em all)!!!
    Nice, maybe I'll buy one.

How is the size compared to the Jelly?

How do you type on it?

Also, can you tell me if the GPS is reasonably accurate? The Jelly's was terrible.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    How do you type on it?
    Very very carefully.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast