Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Dual SIM Smartphones Suitable For AT&T And Verizon MVNOs

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Take a look at the Xiaomi Mix 2s. It's purported to be able to do Verizon if you insert a previously activated sim card from another phone

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The dual SIM is popular in countries where you pay differently for call out of network. So people use the same SIM with the other party to save money.
    Like the other person is on Vodafone, you use Vodafone SIM to call. The other person is on Orange, you use the Orange SIM. Really retarded...

In US, there is no difference between carriers, they all "cost" the same to call. Plus, unlimited voice and SMS are common, like for the OP Total Wireless - all their plans are Unlimited Talk & Text, to any number in US.

To the OP: At this time everyone has an extra phone around... I have three. Put the AT&T SIM in any older phone and make a hotspot
    Those Chinese phones probably won't have VoLTE working on VZW, and from December that will be the only way to make a voice call (no more CDMA).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    The dual SIM is popular in countries where you pay differently for call out of network. So people use the same SIM with the other party to save money.
    Like the other person is on Vodafone, you use Vodafone SIM to call. The other person is on Orange, you use the Orange SIM. Really retarded...

In US, there is no difference between carriers, they all "cost" the same to call. Plus, unlimited voice and SMS are common, like for the OP Total Wireless - all their plans are Unlimited Talk & Text, to any number in US.

To the OP: At this time everyone has an extra phone around... I have three. Put the AT&T SIM in any older phone and make a hotspot
    Those Chinese phones probably won't have VoLTE working on VZW, and from December that will be the only way to make a voice call (no more CDMA).
    I don't think most posters here realize how useless (by and large) dual SIM phones are in the US.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I don't think most posters here realize how useless (by and large) dual SIM phones are in the US.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    Agree ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Carrier(s)
    TMo
    Feedback Score
    How about Pixel 2 if you can get an eSIM and a physical SIM activated at the same time? Would that work?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by naranja View Post
    I'd recommend a Umidigi for what you are trying to do. I bought a Umi F1 to use with Tracfone Verizon plus various Att sims. You set one or the other sims for data and can receive calls on both sims. I don't think you can activate a Verizon sim but I had no problem sim swapping from my tracfone. I expect you could do the same from Total.

With volt on it would not make or receive calls but worked fine for calls with volte turned off in network settings. If you were considering the iphones Umi makes some higher line phones too. My phone had a hardware problem but if you buy from amazon easy return.
    If Vzw VoLTE isn't functioning on your Umidigi F1 with an already activated swapped in Vzw SIM, what happens to your Vzw voice service when CDMA is shut off after 12/31/19?

It's possible I'm not understanding something, so please let us know. Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    Unihertz Atom is dual SIM both active VoLTE. Granted not for primary line (Too small) but it works. I use it for exercise. Is not authorized for VZW but it works if you swap an active SIM in. Has CDMA. I have Red Pocket VZW in slot 1 and Red Pocket TMO in slot 2.

Waiting for high end dual active LTE SIM with bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 14, 25, 26, 29, 30, 41, 46, 66 and 71. Lol. One can dream.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using HoFo mobile app
    Same question: If Vzw VoLTE isn't functioning on your Unihertz Atom with an already activated swapped in Vzw SIM, what happens to your Vzw voice service when CDMA is shut off after 12/31/19?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Agree ^^
    I disagree.

If a user understands the advantages, a dual SIM phone with proper LTE band support can be VERY useful in the US, but for different reasons than stated by SoNic67 for other countries.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberoam View Post
    How about Pixel 2 if you can get an eSIM and a physical SIM activated at the same time? Would that work?
    That sounds like a reasonable suggestion, but it will depend on MVNO support of eSIM to get the most value out of it.

Disclaimer: I don't know much about how eSIM works, so hopefully others will comment on Cyberoam's suggestion.

Device(s)
    Pixel3XL, Pixel3, s9+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Same question: If Vzw VoLTE isn't functioning on your Unihertz Atom with an already activated swapped in Vzw SIM, what happens to your Vzw voice service when CDMA is shut off after 12/31/19?
    VZW VoLTE is working on the Atom.
    --
    CellGuru

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberoam View Post
    Pixel 2’s eSIM is restricted to Google Fi activation. So that wouldn’t help OP.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    VZW VoLTE is working on the Atom.
    Ah...well, that's good! Thanks.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Pixel 2’s eSIM is restricted to Google Fi activation. So that wouldn’t help OP.
    What a shame! Thanks for the info.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Dual SIM Smartphones Suitable For AT&T And Verizon MVNOs

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If a user understands the advantages, a dual SIM phone with proper LTE band support can be VERY useful in the US, but for different reasons than stated by SoNic67 for other countries.
    I can state one case in particular: if one is traveling in the Plains/Midwest. There are very noticeable gaps in coverage in Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado and TX Panhandle with every national carrier. Having a Dual SIM phone will help while traveling.

It would definitely help me having a dual SIM phone that actually works on VZW MVNOs correctly. MVNO support on eSIM is disappointing to say the least. I am tempted to import a Hong Kong iPhone XS, but I am worried it won’t work on Verizon’s VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Dual SIM Smartphones Suitable For AT&T And Verizon MVNOs

I guess you have never worked somewhere that required a separate cell phone number for work calls? I had bosses specifically buy a dual SIM phone to negate needing to carry two devices. The introduction of eSIM (and more US-compatible Dual SIM phones) has helped people avoid carrying both a work cell and personal cell.

It really depends on use cases, and work-related use cases are growing due to the fact that our workplaces need constant available contact with us.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast