Thread: Pros and cons of porting business number to gv - 2019 latest info please

Feedback Score

Pros and cons of porting business number to gv - 2019 latest info please

Hello

I ported my personal cell number to Google voice 3 years ago and got a $90 a year plan from Redpocket mobile for the Google number to ring to (because my understanding is that you still need to provide Google a real cell phone number to be able to port your old number to GV).

So far it has worked great and I love the benefit of being able to talk and text no matter where I am in the world as long as I have WIFI (or cellular mobile connection). I also love the fact that I can use it from whatever device I want.

I am now seriously thinking about porting my work cell number to Google Voice as well. My current work cell number is on the AT&T prepaid "unlimited" $45 a month plan.

The plan would be to port the work number to GV and get a different AT&T prepaid cell number for the GV work number to ring to. GV would handle the voicemail, transcription and text.

I also plan get a really good top of the line Android phone to avoid any glitches. That way, I could take one good phone wherever I go, and handle all my Business and personal voice and texts. Any suggestion on that phone would be welcome too.

Couple questions:

1. Has anyone done this with a business number? For me, it has to work seamlessly with no lag or issues whatsoever. I have only experienced occassional lags etc on my personal google voice number, but then, some small issues that may be acceptable for a personal number cannot be acceptable for a professional number.

2. What are the main CONS of porting a professional number to GV (information good in 2019)? I know a lot has changed with GV over the years and most of the changes have been for the better.

3. My understanding is that GV somehow uses your regular cell phone line to handle the calls once the "handshake" has been made between your GV and the cellular network. I read somewhere that GV only uses data to make the inital "handshake". Can anyone confirm this? Would GV work different if I were in a bad data reception area like the mountains but still have halfway decent cell reception?

4. What are the greatest PROS

5. Any tips and tricks to make GV work for your business line seamlessly?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Feedback Score
    In one of my careers 1 call a year usually resulted in at least 10% of my income for that whole year. So no way would I consider porting a mission critical number to GV.

But I don't know your business.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stinky_feelpol View Post
    2. What are the main CONS of porting a professional number to GV (information good in 2019)? I know a lot has changed with GV over the years and most of the changes have been for the better.
    I frequent the Google Voice support forums. Single biggest issue I see with people using GV as their business number is getting their GV account shut down because of overuse/misuse. Some people will blast out text messages to all their clients or be making tons of phone calls in a short period of time. Google uses (secret) algorithms to determine what is "misuse" of the service. Google won't give guidelines on what constitutes misuse because they don't want people trying to "game" the system. You can try and appeal their decision but if they turn you down (which often happens) you are done and so is your GV account. You also lose your phone number (unless you ported it in).

In my view, it's a huge risk using Google Voice as your business number. I've seen people come absolutely unhinged when their account is shut down and they lose their number. Business users are supposed to be using Google Voice with G Suite and not be using the consumer version of GV.