Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Partial port? Or something else?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Partial port? Or something else?

I just learned from a relative (added to my AT&T postpaid plan last autumn, ported from T-Mobile prepaid) that ever since porting in they have only been able to get texts or calls other AT&T users. They can call or text anyone but do not get calls or texts back from anyone not on AT&T. They are the sort who just never wanted to complain so never said something.

I need to call AT&T and get this dealt with but does anyone have any tips on which number to call (porting department? phone tech support?) or who specifically to get in touch with?

Fortunately, there is not also an Apple iMessage issue involved. This person has only ever had Samsung phones and I know they're not registered with Apple anywhere. The issue sounds similar to what happens when someone switches from an iPhone to Android but fails to deregister with Apple though.

In this case it almost seems like T-Mobile only partially gave the number up and in some places it's still showing up as being on T-Mobile. Could that be a thing where the number is active internally within AT&T yet still shows up to "the rest of the world" on T-Mobile and so calls and texts are being routed there?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Update: I called AT&T and it is in fact a failed port. But now the kicker is they say they can't just change the number now. The port must be cancelled, but as the port is stuck the only option (611 said) is to cancel the line altogether, pay off the phone, etc. I'm calling BS on that but am not sure what else to do now aside from playing "call center roulette" until I get an agent who offers another solution. Has this happened to anyone else bringing in a number from T-Mobile or otherwise?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you can walk into an AT&T store instead of calling.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'll see this relative in a month and we can go into a store in their city then. Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I’d try contacting executive relations for this one as it doesn’t sound like it’ll be easy to sort out.

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    The port must be cancelled, but as the port is stuck the only option (611 said) is to cancel the line altogether, pay off the phone, etc. I'm calling BS on that...
    Yeah I'd be really reluctant to pay off a phone or loose a number because of a circumstance I had nothing to do with. What they are saying to your family member is, through no fault of their own, since they chose to an AT&T customer, something went wrong in the process and now the company is going to penalize your family member for making that choice.

Something is wrong here. You may want to take this up with the FCC.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the replies. I'll start with Executive Care after the holiday as GusHerb94 suggested and go from there. The family member honestly would like to change numbers as it's a market with 2 area codes, one legacy and recognized and another that many people don't even know is local. They got the new one on TMO and have never liked that, but regardless of that detail it seems service should just work and they shouldn't have to essentially cancel (losing Next billing credits), pay off, and start over. I'm resistant to doing that on their behalf too as it seems unnecessary but at the same time they do need fully functional service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the replies. I'll start with Executive Care after the holiday as GusHerb94 suggested and go from there. The family member honestly would like to change numbers as it's a market with 2 area codes, one legacy and recognized and another that many people don't even know is local. They got the new one on TMO and have never liked that, but regardless of that detail it seems service should just work and they shouldn't have to essentially cancel (losing Next billing credits), pay off, and start over. I'm resistant to doing that on their behalf too as it seems unnecessary but at the same time they do need fully functional service.
    If they just want to change their number then I’d just do a number change. It should work fine after that, if not then go up the chain. Ask them to waive the fee since the current number never worked right.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    AT&T said they can't do a number change with a pending port. And porting said they can't cancel the port request without terminating the line. I'll take it up the chain after the holiday.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A few levels up the chain and this is still not resolved but people with the authority to work on it are still trying. It blows my mind how little recourse there is for a failed port - or "mixed service" as someone said they call it internally at AT&T - as even the person I spoke to today said that normally their policy would actually be to just tell someone to cancel the line, pay the ETF, and sign up again if they still wanted to. (No offer even made to waive the ETF - failed ports are essentially sounding like "too bad but it's on the customer".) Granted, my relative did wait 8 months to let me know this was a problem - I assume most people would have found out and raised the issue within a couple days.

This is apparently why the first-level person I spoke to on Monday said that cancellation/paying the ETF was my only choice. However, I've been told they will try to "make an exception" for my case and report back to me by Tuesday on the progress. It sounds like it will involve at least two teams coordinating on passing a ticket back and forth.

Will post back when I have an update. But again, how is there not something in place to provide some sort of procedure to ensure a port gets through in full? AT&T is still telling me that this is rare but it happens from time to time.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    A few levels up the chain and this is still not resolved but people with the authority to work on it are still trying. It blows my mind how little recourse there is for a failed port - or "mixed service" as someone said they call it internally at AT&T - as even the person I spoke to today said that normally their policy would actually be to just tell someone to cancel the line, pay the ETF, and sign up again if they still wanted to. (No offer even made to waive the ETF - failed ports are essentially sounding like "too bad but it's on the customer".) Granted, my relative did wait 8 months to let me know this was a problem - I assume most people would have found out and raised the issue within a couple days.

This is apparently why the first-level person I spoke to on Monday said that cancellation/paying the ETF was my only choice. However, I've been told they will try to "make an exception" for my case and report back to me by Tuesday on the progress. It sounds like it will involve at least two teams coordinating on passing a ticket back and forth.

Will post back when I have an update. But again, how is there not something in place to provide some sort of procedure to ensure a port gets through in full? AT&T is still telling me that this is rare but it happens from time to time.
    That’s pretty ridiculous. Their has to be something else going on. If they can see in the system that the port error is on their end then any manager should be able to give you a bill credit to cancel out the ETF fee. Has anyone reached out to t-mobile to see if it’s an issue on their end as well. Maybe they are not completely releasing the number which may be part of the problem.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's correct, T-Mobile didn't release the number.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That's correct, T-Mobile didn't release the number.
    What's next or are you sorted?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Awaiting a call back from a higher tier rep.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Update today: AT&T replaced the IMEI on the line with that of another Samsung phone and got a new number on it. The number is randomly assigned and not even local to anyone on the phone plan, but is an AT&T number and fully functional (calls from other mobile networks and landlines work now).

They told me I should receive the next update and (hopefully) can change the number to something in my relative's home market on Wednesday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast