Thread: Car's signal bar display not refreshing properly

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Car's signal bar display not refreshing properly

Anyone ever seen this problem? It seems that whenever I start up my car and drive off, the car's display shows 2 bars of signal strength from my phone (iphone XR). However, if I tap the power button on the phone and it turns on the display, immediately the car's display will show the number of bars that are on the phone (can be anywhere up to the full 4 bars). If I just leave everything as is and the phone goes back into sleep mode, I don't think the car updates at all. If I periodically tap the power button on the phone, I can get the car's display to update.
    So it almost seems as though when the phone is asleep, there is no refresh to the car's display.
    I had a Galaxy S10e prior to this iphone. I noticed that the same thing was happening with this phone for the last 2 or 3 weeks or so but I never noticed such behavior prior to this past month or so.
    I know that both ios and android have updated lately and am wondering if bluetooth has been updated (for the worse) in both. My car's system has not been updated at all since I purchased it 3 years ago (2016 Mazda 6).
    Anyone with any ideas?

Feedback Score
    did you try reading your cars manual and see what it says about the display not refreshing properly ??

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S, OG Pixel XL, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon), T-Mobile, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Tried unpairing from both the phone and car, and redoing the pairing process? That might be something to try if you haven’t.

If your car has CarPlay capabilities, does the same thing happen while plugged into USB and using that interface?
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The car's manual says nothing whatsoever about cell phone bars.
    I have repaired the phone many times but haven't tried USB yet. Worth a try I suppose but I am not sure what really it has to do with this particular issue. I mean knowing if it works or not through USB is not going to solve the bluetooth issue.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Someone in another forum says that this is now iphones have worked for as long as he can remember. He says it's a battery saving thing.
    Makes some sense but since I had never seen it with an iphone 5c that I owned until last fall, I still wonder.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by californiajay View Post
    Anyone ever seen this problem? It seems that whenever I start up my car and drive off, the car's display shows 2 bars of signal strength from my phone (iphone XR). However, if I tap the power button on the phone and it turns on the display, immediately the car's display will show the number of bars that are on the phone (can be anywhere up to the full 4 bars). If I just leave everything as is and the phone goes back into sleep mode, I don't think the car updates at all. If I periodically tap the power button on the phone, I can get the car's display to update.
    So it almost seems as though when the phone is asleep, there is no refresh to the car's display.
    I had a Galaxy S10e prior to this iphone. I noticed that the same thing was happening with this phone for the last 2 or 3 weeks or so but I never noticed such behavior prior to this past month or so.
    I know that both ios and android have updated lately and am wondering if bluetooth has been updated (for the worse) in both. My car's system has not been updated at all since I purchased it 3 years ago (2016 Mazda 6).
    Anyone with any ideas?
    I noticed early on when I got a Toyota RAV4 with handsfree Bluetooth that the phone and car infotainment screen did not always match for signal and battery level.

I don't know why. It doesn't matter enough to me to investigate.

Device(s)
    Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. I'm almost wishing my car didn't even have the thing. That part of the screen can probably be used for more important stuff.