Thread: Moving Airvoice PayGo number and account to new phone and new SIM

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Moving Airvoice PayGo number and account to new phone and new SIM

I've used the Airvoice Wireless PAYGO service for years, currently using an Alcatel 871A feature phone. I want to switch everything over to a new smart phone, probably a Moto or Nokia, and I think I will have to get a new SIM because the Alcatel SIM is full sized, and I assume any new phone will use a nano SIM. So I thought I would buy an Airvoice SIM on Ebay for $1.79, and buy the phone somewhere, then call Airvoice to switch everything over to the new phone/SIM. I'm not so much worried about the contacts because it appears the Alcatel will do a Bluetooth vCard transfer, but I very much want to keep the same phone number and account balance (around $150 has built up over the years).

Is this going to work? Is there anyone here who has successfully made this transition on Airvoice? Is there a better way of getting this done? Should I buy the SIM directly from Airvoice instead? I've upgraded phones several times, but was always able to just move the SIM to the new phone. But this is different. And I assume it's obvious that I know nothing about how all this works. So any guidance would really be appreciated.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would start by calling Airvoice customer service and telling them what you want to do. If you have the option to chat, use it and save the transcript. Airvoice used to have very good CS but like most other MVNOs it has been outsourced, so your mileage may vary.

You will be able to keep your own phone number and it seems like you should be able to keep your balance since you're not porting to another carrier. It's really an internal port, so to speak.

If it were me, I would buy the SIM card directly from Airvoice just to make sure there is no other vendor involved and if there's a problem, you can show that the SIM card was purchased directly form them. Just my opinion.

Obviously you have the old style standard SIM card in your Alcatel 871A and not a 3-in-1 type, correct?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I imagine AirVoice will transfer the balance to a new sim.

But if not, you could just have the sim cut down.

You can buy a sim cutter on Ebay for $5

Or drop by a dealer and ask them to do it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks very much for the replies.

The Alcatel uses the old-style full-sized SIM card. It is a "Cingular" "3G" SIM card, and I believe it must be the SIM that came with the Alcatel, which was an AT&T Go-Phone. If that's the case, then I guess I must have done this kind of SIM transfer before because the Alcatel replaced the last 2G phone I used on Airvoice before AT&T shut down 2G, and I assume a 2G phone would not have come with a "3G" SIM.

Assuming I could cut it down to fit, would the old 3G SIM work with a new smartphone that uses LTE? Is size the only difference? Also, I've seen on Youtube that new SIMs are not only smaller, but also thinner, so an older SIM would need to be sanded down thinner. Well, I've ordered an "Airvoice" SIM from Ebay which should arrive next week, and I can compare thicknesses. If thickness isn't a problem, and the old SIM will work on LTE, then cutting it down would be the best solution because I wouldn't have to involve Airvoice at all, just switch the SIM to the new phone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by gh424 View Post
    Thanks very much for the replies.

The Alcatel uses the old-style full-sized SIM card. It is a "Cingular" "3G" SIM card, and I believe it must be the SIM that came with the Alcatel, which was an AT&T Go-Phone. If that's the case, then I guess I must have done this kind of SIM transfer before because the Alcatel replaced the last 2G phone I used on Airvoice before AT&T shut down 2G, and I assume a 2G phone would not have come with a "3G" SIM.

Assuming I could cut it down to fit, would the old 3G SIM work with a new smartphone that uses LTE? Is size the only difference? Also, I've seen on Youtube that new SIMs are not only smaller, but also thinner, so an older SIM would need to be sanded down thinner. Well, I've ordered an "Airvoice" SIM from Ebay which should arrive next week, and I can compare thicknesses. If thickness isn't a problem, and the old SIM will work on LTE, then cutting it down would be the best solution because I wouldn't have to involve Airvoice at all, just switch the SIM to the new phone.
    Others here would be better to express an opinion than me.

Opinions vary:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...IM-Card-A-Risk

and lots of other discussions.

Personally I would avoid it if you can especially if the phone is valuable. Pins can get bent and then the phone may be unrepairable..

I think most of the talk about "3G sims" and "4G sims" etc is without real meaning. The sim is just for identity basically. But some carriers may build on it to make distinctions.