Thread: Tracfone to NeT10 transfer, keep number, transfer remaining balance to other Tracfone

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Tracfone to NeT10 transfer, keep number, transfer remaining balance to other Tracfone

I have already read through a few transfer/merge posts but haven't found anything that quite exactly fits my situation. Combining several of the threads I think I have an idea of what to do but want to make sure.

I believe I am going to make the switch from Tracfone to the newly available NeT10 annual plan as I'm starting to use more talk time and data. The only carrier coverage in my immediate area are AT&T or (slightly better) US Cellular so I'm fairly limited with options. I currently have an Active Tracfone on AT&T (unlocked Moto E4). I have a new unlocked, unactivated Moto X4 I want to start out with on NeT10. I want to keep my same phone number, so transfer that number from Tracfone to NeT10. However, I also have a lot of built up service time and text in my Tracfone balance. I manage tracfone accounts for other family members (all on AT&T) and it would be great if I could transfer my balances (but not the phone number) to one of their active phones.

So in what order should I try to do this. Port number from tracfone to new NeT10 phone and then try to do the balance merge, or try transferring balances first then number. It seems either way you do it you run the risk of either losing the phone number or the balances. Keeping the number is more important to me but would hate to just throw away 8000+ text and two years of service time.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by firedog79 View Post
    So in what order should I try to do this. Port number from tracfone to new NeT10 phone and then try to do the balance merge, or try transferring balances first then number. It seems either way you do it you run the risk of either losing the phone number or the balances. Keeping the number is more important to me but would hate to just throw away 8000+ text and two years of service time.
    I don't have first-hand experience with this, but I've read posts from other people who did it. You'll need to port your number out first. Your BYOP SIM in the E4 will be deactivated. Chat with a TF rep before porting and get it on the transcript record what your balance is, and how long you have to reclaim it. After the SIM was deactivated, and within the time frame, you'll need to reactivate it with a time card (use the cheapest one), you'll need a new SIM too because TF won't reuse a GSM SIM. Then you can contact TF via Chat and ask the rep to merge its balance with another phone.