Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stock up on triple minutes before activating new (non triple mnutes) phone?

Feedback Score

Stock up on triple minutes before activating new (non triple mnutes) phone?

I know that all of my Tracfone triple minutes/texts/data will transfer from my old triple minutes smartphone to my new NON triple minutes smartphone.
    Has anyone successfully "stocked up" on triple minutes immediately before activating a new NON triple minutes smartphone?
    As long as I buy the triple minutes before I activate the new phone this should work... right?

I have one of the last triple minutes for life enabled smartphones but it has gotten so laggy (running Android 5.0.1) that I just can't take it anymore, so new phone ordered. If I go ahead and purchase a whole lot of tripled minutes for the old phone today there should be no problem transferring them all to the new one next week? Or is there some sort of time limit in place to prevent this sort of maneuver??

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
    I know that all of my Tracfone triple minutes/texts/data will transfer from my old triple minutes smartphone to my new NON triple minutes smartphone.
    Has anyone successfully "stocked up" on triple minutes immediately before activating a new NON triple minutes smartphone?
    As long as I buy the triple minutes before I activate the new phone this should work... right?

I have one of the last triple minutes for life enabled smartphones but it has gotten so laggy (running Android 5.0.1) that I just can't take it anymore, so new phone ordered. If I go ahead and purchase a whole lot of tripled minutes for the old phone today there should be no problem transferring them all to the new one next week? Or is there some sort of time limit in place to prevent this sort of maneuver??
    That may not be the big money saver you believe it to be. Are you planning to pay list price for the airtime to be tripled? Are you aware that Tracfone now sells stand-alone cards for minutes and text and data and a 365 days of service add on? There are also the phone+year airtime bundles, where the total price is way lower than the airtime by itself, meaning the phone is free. Upgrade every year. There is also SIM swapping to eliminate one service transfer. If the swapped SIM is TMFL it makes the new phone it is in TMFL.

Check out all three airtime choices. Once the new phone is activated put in your phone number and do a trial airtime purchase of the pay-go/basic airtime. They will show if Tracfone accidently gave the phone TMFL status.
    https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

Feedback Score
    Independent of how you maneuver the cost, there is a risk of having "too much" airtime. This is a Tracfone sore point, nobody knows how much is "too much", and Tracfone's security department can confiscate airtime if they think it smells. They don't like high balances, even when they are legitimate. There is a long history of people manipulating the system to combine lots of sources together onto one phone. It was just taking advantage of Tracfone's poor control over loopholes.

So try not to exceed the highest airtime card for any length of time (looks like hoarding) and you should be OK, I think.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    What's the old phone? Does it have VoLTE?

If it does, just SIM swap and keep TMFL.
    If it doesn't you'll ned to replace soon anyway.

As mentioned, TMFL isn't that big of a deal now, and there are several ways to get airtime cheaper. Take time to evaluate them for your actual usage. Don't get stuck in what you've been doing.

Also as mentioned, there's a risk go loading up high balances.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post

I recently upgraded from a LG Ultimate 2 (with TMFL) to a LG Rebel 4. A couple weeks after upgrading, I loaded a TM card to the new phone. TM Chat told me that my account was still a TMFL account and indeed, the card tripled when I loaded it.

My new phone would have been a "non TMFL" phone for a new customer. But my understanding is that TMFL means exactly that - no matter what phone you upgrade to in the future, if you had TMFL, you will continue to have it.

If this is standard TF policy, then I don't understand why you're asking the question. Nor why the old hands here haven't told you this. Is TF inconsistent about this? Am I missing something?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Independent of how you maneuver the cost, there is a risk of having "too much" airtime. This is a Tracfone sore point, nobody knows how much is "too much", and Tracfone's security department can confiscate airtime if they think it smells. They don't like high balances, even when they are legitimate.
    First I've heard of this. How high is "too high"? I loaded several 90-day TMFL cards to my old phone before upgrading. (And one to my new phone which remains TMFL as I just mentioned.) My balances are currently in the 2500 to 3000 (minutes/texts/MB) range and my service is extended till late 2020.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by melman View Post
    First I've heard of this. How high is "too high"? My balances are currently in the 2500 to 3000 (minutes/texts/MB) range and my service is extended till late 2020.
    Below 5000 is fairly "safe". Back in May 2015, my balances were about 6000/7500/7700. Checked them one day and I lost 1500 texts and 1200MB of data. I don't use texts and data much, so I didn't bother fighting TF to get them back. Other people lost units in their buckets around that time too. Nowadays, 10,000 seems to be the trigger point.

I check the balances of my phones on the 1st of each month using the MyAccount app and take screenshots as proof.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    My new phone would have been a "non TMFL" phone for a new customer. But my understanding is that TMFL means exactly that - no matter what phone you upgrade to in the future, if you had TMFL, you will continue to have it.
    DMFL or TMFL only applies to the phone/SIM it came with, and is not carried forward when you upgrade/replace the phone. Tracfone Terms & Conditions of Service say "The Double minutes feature is not transferable even if Your phone is damaged, lost or stolen". I couldn't find mentioning of TMFL. They must have removed it.

In some instances, new smartphones get TMFL as a "promotion" even when they weren't advertised as TMFL. That must've been your case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    In some instances, new smartphones get TMFL as a "promotion" even when they weren't advertised as TMFL. That must've been your case.
    I have several friends who will need to upgrade phones due to the coming 3G network shutdown and I'd like to give them accurate information, so please oblige my questions. I don't believe there was any promotion on my new phone. When I asked the TF chat rep if my new phone was still TMFL, due to my old phone being TMFL, the rep did say that he/she needed to look at my account, and then replied 'yes' without mentioning any promotion. I guess I should have asked if this would apply to anyone upgrading from a TMFL phone. I wasn't thinking that far ahead.

I still have the box for my new phone, and there's nothing on it about TMFL, lack of TMFL, or anything promotional. Inside the box flap, they list a few smartphone-only cards and none of the TMFL cards.

I'm new to these forums and I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death. I'm just sharing my experience.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I don't believe there was any promotion on my new phone.

I'm new to these forums and I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death. I'm just sharing my experience.
    I'm not doubting your experience. TF sometimes has "unadvertised special promotion" and the TMFL on new smartphones is one of them. We don't know when it will end and who gets it.

If TMFL carries forward when a phone/SIM with TMFL is upgraded, then people in this forum would not have fretted about losing their TMFL benefit when they want to upgrade their phone or replacing the SIM.

That's all I have to say about it.

If you want to know for sure, contact several TF reps and ask if TMFL carries forward. The reason for asking several reps because we all know that the info coming from the reps varies a lot. If ALL of the reps tell you that TMFL carries forward, then I'll stand corrected.

Feedback Score
    Should I tell my friends to do as I did - that is, to get on TF Chat and ask if their new phone is TMFL? And if the chat rep is having a good day, he/she might flip the secret TMFL switch for them?

For all I know, my friends might not even care about TMFL because as the first commenter said, the smartphone cards are often better options. I keep buying 90-day TMFL cards because I can often get them for around $15 and because my usage is very low.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    It may be that the "promotion" TMFL only applies to transfers from a phone that had native TMFL. My BYOP using a non-TMFL SIM got that feature. The previous phone had been TF branded with TMFL. I expect this was a one shot deal, and the TMFL feature will not pass on to the next phone. Hard to figure this stuff.

Like other TF "promotions", they can give and they can take away without notice.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Should I tell my friends to do as I did - that is, to get on TF Chat and ask if their new phone is TMFL?
    You can tell your friend to do that, and get the rep to say in the Chat transcript that phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx will forever have TMFL, then ask for a Contact/Case Number and save that transcript for record. If they lose TMFL in the future, then use that transcript to fight Tracfone. Let us know if ALL the reps will say so, we'll learn something new.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Melman said "I'm new to these forums and I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death. I'm just sharing my experience."

Welcome, sir, You have definitely hit on the right spot for anything tracfone related. Sharing your exprience is important and appreciated.You can learn a lot here and share with your friends or you could send them here, as well.

Feedback Score
    I complained about the loss of my TMFL, and this is the reply I got on their Facebook page:
    We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. We do not want you to feel this way because we value you. Our new Smartphone releases will no longer have the Triple Minute Plan benefits. However, as an incentive to our customers who will upgrade from a feature phone to a Smartphone will get the Triple Minute benefit as a promotion for upgrading to a new Smartphone. Also, if you currently have the Triple Minute on your Smartphone, it will be transferred to the new Smartphone. This promotion is exclusive for phone upgrades while keeping the same phone number. If you have any questions and concerns, feel free to contact us using this link (edited because this is my first post and the anti-spam feature does not like it ). For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. You can also use our self-service menu by simply texting the word HELP to 611611. Thank you. ^Ariann

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast