Thread: Stock up on triple minutes before activating new (non triple mnutes) phone?

Feedback Score

Stock up on triple minutes before activating new (non triple mnutes) phone?

I know that all of my Tracfone triple minutes/texts/data will transfer from my old triple minutes smartphone to my new NON triple minutes smartphone.
    Has anyone successfully "stocked up" on triple minutes immediately before activating a new NON triple minutes smartphone?
    As long as I buy the triple minutes before I activate the new phone this should work... right?

I have one of the last triple minutes for life enabled smartphones but it has gotten so laggy (running Android 5.0.1) that I just can't take it anymore, so new phone ordered. If I go ahead and purchase a whole lot of tripled minutes for the old phone today there should be no problem transferring them all to the new one next week? Or is there some sort of time limit in place to prevent this sort of maneuver??

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
    I know that all of my Tracfone triple minutes/texts/data will transfer from my old triple minutes smartphone to my new NON triple minutes smartphone.
    Has anyone successfully "stocked up" on triple minutes immediately before activating a new NON triple minutes smartphone?
    As long as I buy the triple minutes before I activate the new phone this should work... right?

I have one of the last triple minutes for life enabled smartphones but it has gotten so laggy (running Android 5.0.1) that I just can't take it anymore, so new phone ordered. If I go ahead and purchase a whole lot of tripled minutes for the old phone today there should be no problem transferring them all to the new one next week? Or is there some sort of time limit in place to prevent this sort of maneuver??
    That may not be the big money saver you believe it to be. Are you planning to pay list price for the airtime to be tripled? Are you aware that Tracfone now sells stand-alone cards for minutes and text and data and a 365 days of service add on? There are also the phone+year airtime bundles, where the total price is way lower than the airtime by itself, meaning the phone is free. Upgrade every year. There is also SIM swapping to eliminate one service transfer. If the swapped SIM is TMFL it makes the new phone it is in TMFL.

Check out all three airtime choices. Once the new phone is activated put in your phone number and do a trial airtime purchase of the pay-go/basic airtime. They will show if Tracfone accidently gave the phone TMFL status.
    https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

Feedback Score
    Independent of how you maneuver the cost, there is a risk of having "too much" airtime. This is a Tracfone sore point, nobody knows how much is "too much", and Tracfone's security department can confiscate airtime if they think it smells. They don't like high balances, even when they are legitimate. There is a long history of people manipulating the system to combine lots of sources together onto one phone. It was just taking advantage of Tracfone's poor control over loopholes.

So try not to exceed the highest airtime card for any length of time (looks like hoarding) and you should be OK, I think.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    What's the old phone? Does it have VoLTE?

If it does, just SIM swap and keep TMFL.
    If it doesn't you'll ned to replace soon anyway.

As mentioned, TMFL isn't that big of a deal now, and there are several ways to get airtime cheaper. Take time to evaluate them for your actual usage. Don't get stuck in what you've been doing.

Also as mentioned, there's a risk go loading up high balances.