Thread: Unable to Port Number from Prepaid AT&T to Postpaid

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Amazon Unlocked, iPhone 8 Plus GSM
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Unable to Port Number from Prepaid AT&T to Postpaid

Hi,

I changed jobs recently and the company said they'd pay for both my phone and service. Both myself and the manager are unable to get AT&T to port over my number. I gave the manager permission to make changes to my account. The manager tried over the phone with AT&T and also in person at an AT&T store. No success. Any suggestions? Should I try signing up with another carrier and porting 1st with them? Then maybe AT&T will try harder to get this to work...

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
    Hi,

I changed jobs recently and the company said they'd pay for both my phone and service. Both myself and the manager are unable to get AT&T to port over my number. I gave the manager permission to make changes to my account. The manager tried over the phone with AT&T and also in person at an AT&T store. No success. Any suggestions? Should I try signing up with another carrier and porting 1st with them? Then maybe AT&T will try harder to get this to work...

Thanks for any suggestions/help.
    They should be able to convert it from att prepaid to postpaid easily in the store. It wont be a port in the traditional sense due to already being with att

I've converted att prepaid to postpaid in store and it took 5 min with no activation fee etc

Its with att prepaid or is it a third party att mvno?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    AT&T Prepaid

The manager is probably not going back to the store again because we live on an island where there are no AT&T stores (made a special all day trip to go there 1x already). The manager has already made enough of an effort to try and get this to work. So hoping there is another workaround.

Feedback Score
    Porting to another carrier then porting back to ATT post paid is probably your best route.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Ok I'll give that a try. Thanks

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
    Ok I'll give that a try. Thanks
    Yeah porting out to somewhere else and then att postpaid should do it

It cost a little more money that's the main drawback but at least it works.

Others may know a cheaper way but I've done it for $10 when a T-Mobile store rep waived the $25 Sim fee. He put me on the $3 prepaid plan and at the time required at least a $10 fill payment. Not sure if thats still an option though

Others may know a cheaper and easier route though

Feedback Score
    My way, unactivated TM SIM, port in, they'll ask what plan. Tell them you're consulting a friend who's an expert & you'll callback tomorrow. When current non-TM SIM stops working you're ported. Then port to wherever.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, godless, immoral, hypersensitive, crass, narcissist liar, psychopath committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Feedback Score
    I've ported a number here https://www.numberbarn.com/ from Tello, then to Sprint to take advantage of their free year of service. Worked out great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6Spd Menace View Post
    I've ported a number here https://www.numberbarn.com/ from Tello, then to Sprint to take advantage of their free year of service. Worked out great.
    I would go with Number Barn as 6Spd Menace recommends. But first I think I would try to convert yourself from prepaid to post paid and then assign billing responsibility to your new employer.

Note, you will most likely lose any prepaid balance you currently have.