Galaxy nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Once 1 year free plan expires

Hello,
    What plan are you assigned to (5 line family plan) after the 1 year free plan expires?
    Last edited by yoshiki2; 05-15-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: grammar
    Proud to be Latin/Chinese xD

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Start MySprint app on your phone and click Plans and Services to see. Usually $60/$40/$20 1st/second/third and later lines..

But do not take the default, port out all lines and you will get retention offers right away or you can port back in to kickstart after 45 days (actually right away) or call retentions at 844-382-3317 and ask them for $25 per line (maybe even $20 for 5 lines). But for best leverage port out. Otherwise they will assume you are bluffing.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My free plan expires next month & I’m considering porting out to Sprint MVNO Twigby. They are 1 of the few Sprint MVNOs with voice/text roaming on Verizon. I don’t know what will happen to the roaming after Verizon shuts down CDMA at end of 2019. Anyone have experience with Twigby?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    tello and twigby are generally well regarded. I see twigby has a promo for 25% off for 6 months
    https://www.twigby.com/page/promotions

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    By the way, you will be able to access this Sprint Recovery 0ffer AFTER you port out.
    https://www.sprint.com/en/landings/c...to-sprint.html

It offers service credits (not a cash credit) of up to $250 per line (if over 2 lines) dribbled out over the next x months.
    This is a Recovery offer, not a Retention offer, so it can be accessed ONLY AFTER you have already ported out, not before.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If I move my phone and my mother's phone to Twigby and continue using the same Sprint sim cards (currently on one-year free plan) will wifi calling and visual voicemail continue to work on Twigby? We both have iPhones, 7-plus and 6s. Will we continue to get roaming on whatever is still left of Verizon's 3G network for voice calls?

I see Twigby allows native hotspotting, but the largest data plan they have is 10GB. If I exceed 10GB in less than a month, can I start a new month with a new 10GB limit right away by paying immediately?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    If I move my phone and my mother's phone to Twigby and continue using the same Sprint sim cards (currently on one-year free plan) will wifi calling and visual voicemail continue to work on Twigby? We both have iPhones, 7-plus and 6s. Will we continue to get roaming on whatever is still left of Verizon's 3G network for voice calls?

I see Twigby allows native hotspotting, but the largest data plan they have is 10GB. If I exceed 10GB in less than a month, can I start a new month with a new 10GB limit right away by paying immediately?
    In general you will not get those features on a Sprint mvno. Twigby would be an exception for hotspot at least I guess.

Once you port out of Sprint (but not before), you will be eligible for a possibly attractive Recovery offer which currently offers a $100 (one line) to $250 (per line for multiple lines) service credit which can effectively reduce the KickStart or other price by quite a bit. PM me if you may be interested and do not get an email with the offer within a few days after porting out. So I would bear that in mind.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for that. I may do a retention offer if it makes sense for my mother's line and my second line, but Kickstart won't work for my primary line because I need the hotspot. Actually I prefer to use the second line as the hotspot, so maybe I could put that one on Twigby and put my primary line with my mother's on a retention plan. We'll see when the time comes.

The other seemingly decent option it would seem at the moment is to keep everything in her name and move hers and my primary to T-Mobile 55+ (she meets the age requirement) and put my second line on Page Plus pay-as-you-go for approximately $30/year.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for that. I may do a retention offer if it makes sense for my mother's line and my second line, but Kickstart won't work for my primary line because I need the hotspot. Actually I prefer to use the second line as the hotspot, so maybe I could put that one on Twigby and put my primary line with my mother's on a retention plan. We'll see when the time comes.

The other seemingly decent option it would seem at the moment is to keep everything in her name and move hers and my primary to T-Mobile 55+ (she meets the age requirement) and put my second line on Page Plus pay-as-you-go for approximately $30/year.
    This is technically a recovery offer (for AFTER you have left) and not a retention offer. It is not available from Retentions. I realize this is just semantics perhaps but I just did not want anyone to assume that they would be able to get it from Retentions. There are no good Retention offers right now.

If you want a hotspot, there are some plans you can use with the offer that would have lower data caps and would give you the hotspot.

Two lines would be very attractive because you can get $250 per line credit with 2 or more lines.

"We'll see when the time comes" is exactly the right plan for now.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sorry I meant recovery. I was rushing out the door when I submitted that last post.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My unlocked fully paid iPhone 7 plus that's still active on the Sprint free plan comes up in Twigby's IMEI checker as under contract with payment owed to Sprint. I tried to explain to Twigby online chat support this is due to the prepaid/post-paid flag being set to post-paid, which obviously it has to be since the phone is still active on Sprint post-paid.

They were completely clueless and unable to switch the flag. Even though my free service is free until the end of this month, I was prepared to port over and start on Twigby immediately. But not now.

Looks like the T-Mobile Magenta Plus 55 that includes Netflix and 20GB 4G hotspot data will be where my mother and I end up. $90 for two lines that includes Netflix isn't bad, and if my hotspot usage decreases, we can probably downgrade to the $70 Magenta 55, but that doesn't include free Netflix. So it's kind of a wash, save maybe $7/month or give up Netflix.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My unlocked fully paid iPhone 7 plus that's still active on the Sprint free plan comes up in Twigby's IMEI checker as under contract with payment owed to Sprint. I tried to explain to Twigby online chat support this is due to the prepaid/post-paid flag being set to post-paid, which obviously it has to be since the phone is still active on Sprint post-paid.

They were completely clueless and unable to switch the flag. Even though my free service is free until the end of this month, I was prepared to port over and start on Twigby immediately. But not now.

I would see what the Ting and Tello checkers say to narrow down the issue

If they both say it is ok (and Ting says it is ok for both of its networks), probably it will be fine once you get it off.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Twigby says:
    This phone is either still under contract or is tied to an account with a past due balance with another wireless provider. Please contact that provider for details.

Ting says:
    Sorry, this phone can’t be activated right now. This device has not reached financial eligibility. The Sprint account holder is the only one that can clear this balance with Sprint. If you have recently paid off your Sprint device, please ensure you allow 48 hours before checking compatibility. If you bought the phone from a 3rd party you may want to ask for a refund.

Tello says:
    Oops! Your IMEI might not be correct or your phone is not Tello compatible. Please check that your IMEI is correct. Otherwise, it looks like your phone can not join Tello. No worries though, you can choose a phone from us.

The money we'd save by going to Twigby or some other MVNO doesn't seem worth all the headaches and lack of perks. I'm confident I could find a way to get these phones on a Sprint MVNO if I was really determined, but the $90 T-Mobile plan includes taxes, wifi calling, VoLTE, visual voicemail, free HD 2-screen Netflix ($12.99 plan), extra benefits for international travel, and unlimited in-flight wifi. I don't travel much, but my mother does, and Sprint's international roaming agreements were great for her during the time we've been on the free plan. T-Mobile's international agreements appear to be at least as robust, if not better.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Twigby says:
    This phone is either still under contract or is tied to an account with a past due balance with another wireless provider. Please contact that provider for details.

Ting says:
    Sorry, this phone can’t be activated right now. This device has not reached financial eligibility. The Sprint account holder is the only one that can clear this balance with Sprint. If you have recently paid off your Sprint device, please ensure you allow 48 hours before checking compatibility. If you bought the phone from a 3rd party you may want to ask for a refund.

Tello says:
    Oops! Your IMEI might not be correct or your phone is not Tello compatible. Please check that your IMEI is correct. Otherwise, it looks like your phone can not join Tello. No worries though, you can choose a phone from us.

The money we'd save by going to Twigby or some other MVNO doesn't seem worth all the headaches and lack of perks. I'm confident I could find a way to get these phones on a Sprint MVNO if I was really determined, but the $90 T-Mobile plan includes taxes, wifi calling, VoLTE, visual voicemail, free HD 2-screen Netflix ($12.99 plan), extra benefits for international travel, and unlimited in-flight wifi. I don't travel much, but my mother does, and Sprint's international roaming agreements were great for her during the time we've been on the free plan. T-Mobile's international agreements appear to be at least as robust, if not better.

Hmm that is very odd. Did you buy the phone used originally? Perhaps a checkered history is starting to come light? Was it a Boost phone?

If Sprint is adequate, you can get it on $25 KickStart so I would not spend $90 on TMO for sure. KickStart has the same roaming as the free plan. (Some people prefer Sprint Global Roaming to TMO).

If you want to move it to KickStart, you are theoretically ineligible to do so directly but I do know a way to do it without porting off first. If to want to know the details see

https://slickdeals.net/f/10235008-sprint-byod-1-year-unlimited-talk-text-data-free-w-eligible-device-sim-req?p=128482822#post128482822

I would not leave it too long because KickStart may close for a while or change a little starting July 18, I heard said.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Kickstart would be fine for my mother, but I need the native hotspot, because I prefer iOS and I don't want to jailbreak. That means tethering has to be included legitimately in whatever plan I'm on.

My mother currently pays for Netflix, so if we go on the $90 plan (taxes included) and I pay $50 and she pays $40, she's getting T-Mobile Magenta Plus and Netflix for $40, which is almost exactly the same amount she'd be paying for Kickstart ($25 plus taxes) and Netflix ($12.99 plus taxes). And the comparison between Magenta Plus and Kickstart isn't even close.

As for what I could otherwise get for my $50 on a single line with an MVNO, I'm looking at GoSmart, which sucks, which is a Carlos Slim company that's not even connected technologically to all the other Carlos Slim companies, and which would be on the same T-Mobile network I'd be getting with Magenta Plus, except without any domestic or international roaming, 4G hotspot, wifi calling, VoLTE, or visual voicemail. Unless you know of another plan that includes AT LEAST 10GB hotspot data for around the same price, T-Mobile's $90 plan seems like the best deal in my situation, without costing my mother any additional money compared to Kickstart.

Also, even though my current hotspot usage typically runs around 7-10GB a month, that's on Sprint with not great LTE speed (download typically 2-7 Mbps, because it's almost always connecting to B25 even though there's a B41 tower a similar distance away). I'm concerned that with true LTE hotspot data speeds, my usage may increase due to the expanded bandwith. When I stream Netflix on my laptop using the hotspot, Netflix adjusts the quality of the stream based on how fast a connection is available. Back when I was on GoSmart in 2017, I once used over 20GB (hotspot and regular data were combined) in a month at 3G speeds and had to renew my monthly plan a few days early.

Prices have come down so much in recent years that MVNOs aren't nearly as attractive as they once were. Getting the added priority of being on a post-paid plan seems more worth it now.

MetroPCS has a deal similar to Magenta Plus 55 for $10 less ($80 total) but the hotspot data is 15GB instead of 20GB, and it includes Amazon Prime (not just Prime Video, but Prime itself, which includes the Video and everything else Amazon is hawking now - most important to me would be discounts at Whole Foods, not free shipping on garbage I buy on the internet) in place of Netflix. Also no HD streaming, which I don't think is a big deal. That plan is a possibility, depending on what my mother's preferences are, but I already have Prime Video (she does not).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast