Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    There is also Ting at $20 for 20 GB
    https://start.ting.com/20for20/
    They don't appear to have roaming. I need coverage in the middle of anywhere, particularly northern New England. Postpaid Sprint and Google Fi both give me coverage in the middle of anywhere.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    They don't appear to have roaming. I need coverage in the middle of anywhere, particularly northern New England. Postpaid Sprint and Google Fi both give me coverage in the middle of anywhere.
    They have free voice roaming plus maybe TMobile extended area (the latter is not certain).
    Last edited by comintel; 07-10-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    They have free voice roaming plus maybe TMobile extended area (the latter is not certain).
    Their map clearly shows no coverage in the middle of anywhere, so I'm going to say no.

Fi at $10 a GB? That would be $200 for 20 GB. So obviously it would not be good for a heavy data user.
    They have a $60/mo cap on data charges, but it's still a lousy deal for heavy data users. In my case, I'm looking for a secondary line to my main AT&T line for occasional use when I don't have AT&T service. Sprint came in handy several times last summer when I was in the middle of anywhere, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Maine, and the national carriers except maybe Verizon didn't have any service. In one spot, there was nothing except USCC CDMA. Project Fi also has Verizon CDMA/EVDO roaming through USCC until the end of the year.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Their map clearly shows no coverage in the middle of anywhere, so I'm going to say no.

They have a $60/mo cap on data charges, but it's still a lousy deal for heavy data users. In my case, I'm looking for a secondary line to my main AT&T line for occasional use when I don't have AT&T service. Sprint came in handy several times last summer when I was in the middle of anywhere, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Maine, and the national carriers except maybe Verizon didn't have any service. In one spot, there was nothing except USCC CDMA. Project Fi also has Verizon CDMA/EVDO roaming through USCC until the end of the year.
    Oh I see..

Device(s)
    iOS Jailbroken + Android Rooted
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon + AT&T + Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    “Once 1 Year free plan expires…” (7-31-19 for me)

I use 1 Personal Cellular Line only, not on our family plan …
    (I have to carry a company phone separately (sigh), which I leave at office overnight, and forward to my personal when I'm on call).

Luckily, I am always surrounded by Wi-Fi, additionally my Spectrum Cable offers numerous free wireless access points via a secure signed certificate profile if I need additional. So luckily, I have been using less than 2GB Data per month in the past year, though the concept of “unlimited” is very cool… (My Home Office Phones are GoogleVoice, and I use the GV app on my iPhone to forward/return those calls via my unlimited cellular minutes)

I think I will be switching to Ting $14 - 2GB Plan, and maybe upgrade to $19 4GB plan if I ever get throttled. At this point its all about cost, as the Sprint Free plan spoiled me, and reinforced my belief that Cell service is stupidly overpriced…. Sprint has full coverage in all the areas I travel in… I’m in IT, so I am always surrounded by computers at home and work, Gigabit connections, and handle my techs via Text, Slack, personal calls and email, so my Mobile Data needs haven’t been that high, surprisingly … Ting will accept the Sprint SIM I already have, so theres that also, I guess ...
    Last edited by Mil Máscaras; 07-10-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mil Máscaras View Post

(I have to carry a company phone separately (sigh), which I leave at office overnight, and forward to my personal when I'm on call).

Luckily, I am also surrounded by Wi-Fi, and my Spectrum Cable offers numerous free access points and a secure signed certificate profile if I need additional. So luckily, I have been using less than 2GB Data per month in the past year, though the concept of “unlimited” is very cool…

I think I will be switching to Ting $14 - 2GB Plan, and maybe upgrade to $19 4GB plan if I ever get throttled. At this point its all about cost, as the Sprint Free plan spoiled me, and reinforced my belief that Cell service is stupidly overpriced…. Sprint has full coverage in all the areas I travel in… I’m in IT, so I am always surrounded by computers at home and work, Gigabit connections, and handle my techs via Text, Slack, personal calls and email, so my Mobile Data needs haven’t been that high, surprisingly … Ting will accept the Sprint SIM I already have, so theres that, I guess.

Did you look at the Ting 20 GB for $20 offer:

https://start.ting.com/20for20/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon + AT&T + Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Did you look at the Ting 20 GB for $20 offer:
    Yes, also thinking about that plan too, its pretty great, but aware of the fine print too: $20 plan Only valid till end of 2019, will automatically be bumped to full price thereafter, which will easily exceed $70 month, according to Ting bill estimator; and their cheap 2-5GB plans are more expensive than Tello in 2020. Easy enough to port around at end of 2019 too, I guess...

The $14 Tello service will be a fun "test" for me, to see how cheaply I can get my "average 2GB/Mo usage" *single line* needs met, and after porting and parking my account at Tello for 30-45 days, I will be eligible for ANY and ALL "New Customer" Promos at every Cell provider thereafter! (My iPhone is Factory Unlocked, with every carrier antenna band in it...) By "Parking" it at Tello for a short while, I can forget about plan shopping for as cheaply as practical for the short term, and take my pick later, or just leave it alone for a while...

One downside I don't like with MVNO's and Pre-paid though: Your Caller ID info does not always show up to your recipients display correctly. With Pre-paid/MVNO, sometimes your "Name" doesn't appear on recipients CallerID display, rather you get generic readout like "Los Angeles" or whatever, and If you are not already in recipients address book contacts, they may screen you as an unknown caller....
    ... Just about Everybody screens out unknown and unidentified, generic noname CallerID calls on there phones nowadays ...

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Luckily, I am always surrounded by Wi-Fi, additionally my Spectrum Cable offers numerous free wireless access points via a secure signed certificate profile if I need additional. So luckily, I have been using less than 2GB Data per month in the past year, though the concept of “unlimited” is very cool… (My Home Office Phones are GoogleVoice, and I use the GV app on my iPhone to forward/return those calls via my unlimited cellular minutes)

I think I will be switching to Ting $14 - 2GB Plan, and maybe upgrade to $19 4GB plan if I ever get throttled. At this point its all about cost, as the Sprint Free plan spoiled me, and reinforced my belief that Cell service is stupidly overpriced…. Sprint has full coverage in all the areas I travel in… I’m in IT, so I am always surrounded by computers at home and work, Gigabit connections, and handle my techs via Text, Slack, personal calls and email, so my Mobile Data needs haven’t been that high, surprisingly … Ting will accept the Sprint SIM I already have, so theres that also, I guess ...
    Sprint has decent coverage, but there are absolutely HUGE areas where they have nothing, especially without roaming. I'd look at MintSIM, as you get T-Mobile coverage. The problem is, they are also lacking roaming, so they have giant dead areas. Republic Wireless is another interesting one, but I think they also have the roaming problem. Google Fi isn't quite as cheap, but it has the roaming solved, since it's more like postpaid, plus it has native USCC.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon + AT&T + Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sprint has decent coverage, but there are absolutely HUGE areas where they have nothing, especially without roaming.
    Luckily, for me in SoCal, Sprint had nearly 100% coverage for me in every area I travelled to (I do many miles to the boonies too). Too bad your area is so spotty... Only failure I can recall was deep in the National Parks, but that was expected... Sprints mediocre point was their mobile data averaged 3-10 Mbps for me ...meh ...

Mint wants you to pre-pay 3 months promo, then higher prices for months thereafter... Roaming is important to me though.
    I expect the Sprint T-Mobile merger to go thru, so I expect roaming to be accommodated between them, and my Phone will handle every band CDMA and GSM no problem. Spoiled by having paid $3.17 Month for the past year, so I look forward to keeping my Cell bill cheapest in the short term, and hunt for upcoming "New Customer" promos soon.

... In the back of my mind, if I were to not go with an MVNO, I would also consider T-Mobile Magenta Unlimited 55 (next year i'm eligible), or try the Sprint KickStart $25 plan SlickD angle, if I chicken out last minute of MVNO's. (partially over the aforementioned CallerID issue)

Yes, I have hunted Howards and many other cellular deals forums and SlickD and Toms, and every eBay promo, and am pretty aware of every cheap deal, and they all have their angles, pros and cons, not really seeking any more advice on what I should use...

I was just piping in on the spirit of this thread, and the topic of:
    "What are you gonna do now that the 1 Year Free Promo is expiring"..
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, also thinking about that plan too, its pretty great, but aware of the fine print too: $20 plan Only valid till end of 2019, will automatically be bumped to full price thereafter, which will easily exceed $70 month, according to Ting bill estimator; and their cheap 2-5GB plans are more expensive than Tello in 2020. Easy enough to port around at end of 2019 too, I guess...

The $14 Tello service will be a fun "test" for me, to see how cheaply I can get my "average 2GB/Mo usage" *single line* needs met, and after porting and parking my account at Tello for 30-45 days, I will be eligible for ANY and ALL "New Customer" Promos at every Cell provider thereafter! (My iPhone is Factory Unlocked, with every carrier antenna band in it...) By "Parking" it at Tello for a short while, I can forget about plan shopping for as cheaply as practical for the short term, and take my pick later, or just leave it alone for a while...

One downside I don't like with MVNO's and Pre-paid though: Your Caller ID info does not always show up to your recipients display correctly. With Pre-paid/MVNO, sometimes your "Name" doesn't appear on recipients CallerID display, rather you get generic readout like "Los Angeles" or whatever, and If you are not already in recipients address book contacts, they may screen you as an unknown caller....
    ... Just about Everybody screens out unknown and unidentified, generic noname CallerID calls on there phones nowadays ...
    Yes but I will guess those who are on the Ting $20 plan for a few months and do not max it out all the time will get a surprise offer to extend it. Why wouldn't Ting do that? I suspect that is the real plan.

As to CallierID, I will test carefully when I try Ting but as I understand it, the Name portion of CallerId is not sent with the call but rather is a lookup by the receiving carrier in third party databases.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Luckily, for me in SoCal, Sprint had nearly 100% coverage for me in every area I travelled to (I do many miles to the boonies too). Too bad your area is so spotty... Only failure I can recall was deep in the National Parks, but that was expected... Sprints mediocre point was their mobile data averaged 3-10 Mbps for me ...meh ...
    Aside from local coverage, the issue is traveling. At least with postpaid Sprint, you get a big mess of various roaming agreements that sometimes work in many places. With prepaid Sprint-only coverage, you're SOL.

Spoiled by having paid $3.17 Month for the past year, so I look forward to keeping my Cell bill cheapest in the short term, and hunt for upcoming "New Customer" promos soon.
    Oh man, I'm getting screwed. The taxes and fees are $3.66/mo here.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sprint has decent coverage, but there are absolutely HUGE areas where they have nothing, especially without roaming. I'd look at MintSIM, as you get T-Mobile coverage. The problem is, they are also lacking roaming, so they have giant dead areas. Republic Wireless is another interesting one, but I think they also have the roaming problem. Google Fi isn't quite as cheap, but it has the roaming solved, since it's more like postpaid, plus it has native USCC.
    republic wireless has SOME roaming. I asked on their forums a year or so back... but they were vague about when and where, but they do have some in some places. How much before you are cut off is another matter.

edit: actually I found a recent-ish article about their roaming policy https://forums.republicwireless.com/...ng-policy/9012

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Aside from local coverage, the issue is traveling. At least with postpaid Sprint, you get a big mess of various roaming agreements that sometimes work in many places. With prepaid Sprint-only coverage, you're SOL......

Ting has voice roaming nationwide on its Sprint service. Few other Sprint mvno's have this. Ting says it is very expensive for them but they pay the extra for it.
    You may also get TMobile data roaming/ extended area coverage on Ting's Sprint Service. They think you probably do. I will find out next week when my FP Sprint lines go to Ting. I can disable the Sprint bands on my S8 and test if it roams as it does here on the free plan.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-12-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    republic wireless has SOME roaming. I asked on their forums a year or so back... but they were vague about when and where, but they do have some in some places. How much before you are cut off is another matter.
    Is RW's for data, or only voice/text? And if it's Verizon 3G, will it survive past the end of the year?

Ting has voice roaming nationwide on its Sprint service. Few other Sprint mvno's have this. Ting says it is very expensive for them but they pay the extra for it.
    Quite possible, but the map doesn't seem to show it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    "Ting has voice roaming nationwide on its Sprint service. Few other Sprint mvno's have this. Ting says it is very expensive for them but they pay the extra for it."
    Quite possible, but the map doesn't seem to show it.
    Is the Ting CDMA voice coverage map different from the Sprint postpaid voice coverage map? Some sources say they are the same.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast