Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Once 1 year free plan expires

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    As for the phones, they're all used from Swappa, all with Apple order numbers (the "model" number that typically ends in 2LL/A) that identify them as the SIM-free unlocked version of the phones that were purchased originally from Apple, not a carrier. Interestingly, two of the three do not pass the IMEI tests, but one does. I have no idea what's going on. All three are currently active on the same Free for 1-year post-paid plan on Sprint on a single account.

Of the three phones, two are 6s and my primary phone is a 7-plus MN4F2LL/A. The others are MKRY2LL/A and MKRL2LL/A.

I bought mine from Swappa in October 2017 and it had 13 months of AppleCare Plus remaining on it, expiring November 28, 2018, meaning it was likely paid in full at the Apple Store on November 28, 2016. Never had any issue whatsoever getting these phones activated on Sprint post-paid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    Kickstart would be fine for my mother, but I need the native hotspot, because I prefer iOS and I don't want to jailbreak. That means tethering has to be included legitimately in whatever plan I'm on.

My mother currently pays for Netflix, so if we go on the $90 plan (taxes included) and I pay $50 and she pays $40, she's getting T-Mobile Magenta Plus and Netflix for $40, which is almost exactly the same amount she'd be paying for Kickstart ($25 plus taxes) and Netflix ($12.99 plus taxes). And the comparison between Magenta Plus and Kickstart isn't even close.

As for what I could otherwise get for my $50 on a single line with an MVNO, I'm looking at GoSmart, which sucks, which is a Carlos Slim company that's not even connected technologically to all the other Carlos Slim companies, and which would be on the same T-Mobile network I'd be getting with Magenta Plus, except without any domestic or international roaming, 4G hotspot, wifi calling, VoLTE, or visual voicemail. Unless you know of another plan that includes AT LEAST 10GB hotspot data for around the same price, T-Mobile's $90 plan seems like the best deal in my situation, without costing my mother any additional money compared to Kickstart.

Also, even though my current hotspot usage typically runs around 7-10GB a month, that's on Sprint with not great LTE speed (download typically 2-7 Mbps, because it's almost always connecting to B25 even though there's a B41 tower a similar distance away). I'm concerned that with true LTE hotspot data speeds, my usage may increase due to the expanded bandwith. When I stream Netflix on my laptop using the hotspot, Netflix adjusts the quality of the stream based on how fast a connection is available. Back when I was on GoSmart in 2017, I once used over 20GB (hotspot and regular data were combined) in a month at 3G speeds and had to renew my monthly plan a few days early.

Prices have come down so much in recent years that MVNOs aren't nearly as attractive as they once were. Getting the added priority of being on a post-paid plan seems more worth it now.

MetroPCS has a deal similar to Magenta Plus 55 for $10 less ($80 total) but the hotspot data is 15GB instead of 20GB, and it includes Amazon Prime (not just Prime Video, but Prime itself, which includes the Video and everything else Amazon is hawking now - most important to me would be discounts at Whole Foods, not free shipping on garbage I buy on the internet) in place of Netflix. Also no HD streaming, which I don't think is a big deal. That plan is a possibility, depending on what my mother's preferences are, but I already have Prime Video (she does not).
    There was a leak that Sprint will offer a 50 GB hotspot for KickStart for $10 a month extra and includes Hulu and Tidal. A supposed ad was leaked but maybe it will happen, maybe it will not.

Meanwhile as long as your free plan is going you could add a suitable Android phone and use it as an external unsanctioned hotspot.

I do not know when your free plan expires but it never pays to plan far in advance.

Oh by the way Ting currently has a Sprint only 20 GB a month plan for $20 a month that I think includes hotspot.

https://start.ting.com/20for20/

Officially it expires at end of year but I predict it may be extended.

They may have an even better offer if you are an FP Sprint account takeover user refugee..
    Last edited by comintel; 07-04-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Feedback Score
    As for the phones, they're all used from Swappa, all with Apple order numbers (the "model" number that typically ends in 2LL/A) that identify them as the SIM-free unlocked version of the phones that were purchased originally from Apple, not a carrier. Interestingly, two of the three do not pass the IMEI tests, but one does. I have no idea what's going on. All three are currently active on the same Free for 1-year post-paid plan on Sprint on a single account.

Of the three phones, two are 6s and my primary phone is a 7-plus MN4F2LL/A. The others are MKRY2LL/A and MKRL2LL/A.

I bought mine from Swappa in October 2017 and it had 13 months of AppleCare Plus remaining on it, expiring November 28, 2018, meaning it was likely paid in full at the Apple Store on November 28, 2016. Never had any issue whatsoever getting these phones activated on Sprint post-paid.
    You might not be able to re-activate them now.

Did Ting not even offer to take them on its TMobile side? If not, maybe they would not activate on TMobile either.

I think you had better try to get it resolved while they are on Sprint in case you cannot re-activate them once they off.

Feedback Score
    I am spoiled by my free plan. All the plans out there are $25. At that rate I might as well add a line into a family plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    I am spoiled by my free plan. All the plans out there are $25. At that rate I might as well add a line into a family plan.
    All KickStart does is bring down the rate for a single line that is not part of a four-line plan.
    But it brings it down from $60 or $70 to $25, which is an enormous saving.
    Yes, family plans with 4 lines already got a rate of $25 or so a line.
    And those plans are still better at that because they include hotspots etc.
    But single-line accounts never had a rate like $25 before for a truly unlimited plan with most perqs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    All KickStart does is bring down the rate for a single line that is not part of a four-line plan.
    But it brings it down from $60 or $70 to $25, which is an enormous saving.
    Yes, family plans with 4 lines already got a rate of $25 or so a line.
    And those plans are still better at that because they include hotspots etc.
    But single-line accounts never had a rate like $25 before for a truly unlimited plan with most perqs.

I should just take the jump to a 5 line Sprint Family Plan from AT&T. My latest objection is I am not sure if FaceTime will work on Sprint.

It would be fun to get migrated into T-Mobile, but that might take 1/2 a year or more.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=techfranz;17082177]I should just take the jump to a 5 line Sprint Family Plan from AT&T. My latest objection is I am not sure if FaceTime will work on Sprint.

It would be fun to get migrated into T-Mobile, but that might take 1/2 a year or more.

Well obviously Facetime is fully supported but it is true that it might not work well in weak signal areas.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=comintel;17082179]
    I should just take the jump to a 5 line Sprint Family Plan from AT&T. My latest objection is I am not sure if FaceTime will work on Sprint.

Well obviously Facetime is fully supported but it is true that it might not work well in weak signal areas.
    We have lots of 800mhz so web stuff isn’t bad, just FaceTime can be tricky.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Comintel, I want to thank you for all the valuable information you post.

I think the most likely direction for us is going to be to put my mother's line on Kickstart and I'll get the 25GB AT&T deal from Walmart for my primary line: https://www.att.com/prepaid/walmart-...00aff12A#legal

They'll make me buy a phone, but I think there should be no problem popping the sim from the new $40 phone into my iPhone 7 plus. With autopay, that 25GB plan should cost $40 plus taxes. All three of our current phones (two of which failed the IMEI check at Twigby, Ting, and Tello) passed the IMEI check on Swappa. I tried to use the AT&T IMEI checker, but there's something wrong with the website and I get a null response in both Firefox and Chrome.

Swappa says: Device is on the global IMEI whitelist. The device has been registered and is an authentic IMEI number. Device is not on the global IMEI blacklist. The device is not currently flagged as lost/stolen.

All three phones are currently active on the free for 1-year plan, and they all passed Sprint's post-paid IMEI check over a year ago. It seems the only carriers that don't like the IMEI numbers of my phones are Sprint MVNOs.

I have two questions. First, what do you think is the probability that I'll have any difficulty activating my unlocked model A1661 iPhone 7 Plus using the sim card from the AT&T prepaid phone on the $40 25GB Walmart plan? The $40 prepaid phone will likely be an Alcatel Tetra with Nano sim card. Phonescoop specifies the sim card for this phone to be "Nano 4FF."

Second, after I get my mother on Kickstart, if Sprint then stops offering Kickstart, will I be able to later add a second line to the already existing Kickstart account even though it's no longer being offered to new subscribers at that point? Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Comintel, I want to thank you for all the valuable information you post.

I think the most likely direction for us is going to be to put my mother's line on Kickstart and I'll get the 25GB AT&T deal from Walmart for my primary line: https://www.att.com/prepaid/walmart-...00aff12A#legal

They'll make me buy a phone, but I think there should be no problem popping the sim from the new $40 phone into my iPhone 7 plus. With autopay, that 25GB plan should cost $40 plus taxes. All three of our current phones (two of which failed the IMEI check at Twigby) passed the IMEI check on Swappa. I tried to use the AT&T IMEI checker, but there's something wrong with the website and I get a null response in both Firefox and Chrome.

Swappa says: Device is on the global IMEI whitelist. The device has been registered and is an authentic IMEI number. Device is not on the global IMEI blacklist. The device is not currently flagged as lost/stolen.

All three phones are currently active on the free for 1-year plan, and they all passed Sprint's post-paid IMEI check over a year ago. It seems the only carriers that don't like the IMEI numbers of my phones are Sprint MVNOs.

I have two questions. First, what do you think is the probability that I"ll have any difficulty activating my unlocked model A1661 iPhone 7 Plus using the sim card from the AT&T prepaid phone on the $40 25GB Walmart plan?

Second, after I get my mother on Kickstart, if Sprint then stops offering Kickstart, will I be able to later add a second line to the already existing Kickstart account even though it's no longer being offered to new subscribers at that point? Thanks again.
    As to the first question, that one I am better to leave to others.

As to the KickStart question, the answer is No in my opinion. You have not been able to add a second KickStart line during those periods when KickStart was not available (of which there have been several). KickStart is strictly per line.

Feedback Score
    So I spoke with Sprint and am able to get 5 lines for $100 or $95 if business. The plan however is only good for 1 year and expires in June 2020, however the phone leases last 18 months or longer. I am a bit uncomfortable with that since it seems I will be locked in beyond the price protection.

Feedback Score
    So I spoke with Sprint and am able to get 5 lines for $100 or $95 if business. The plan however is only good for 1 year and expires in June 2020, however the phone leases last 18 months or longer. I am a bit uncomfortable with that since it seems I will be locked in beyond the price protection.

Did you try talking to a business rep? It seems to me they would deal with issues like that routinely and should be able to negotiate a custom contract. Also you could try to get BestBuy etc to match the price with their lease.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Did you try talking to a business rep? It seems to me they would deal with issues like that routinely and should be able to negotiate a custom contract. Also you could try to get BestBuy etc to match the price with their lease.
    Yes the Sprint Business reps were quite helpful and friendly. They did not say anything about the plan expiring so maybe it was a custom plan. However everything listed on Sprint.com expires after 1 year.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If my mother wants her Kickstart single line to be in her name, does she have to be completely off Sprint for 45 days?

Or can she just port out and back in and open a brand new Kickstart account in her name immediately, likely on the same day or next day at the latest?

I've been off Sprint (account-wise) for a year now, so I can put it in my name if necessary.

Feedback Score
    If my mother wants her Kickstart single line to be in her name, does she have to be completely off Sprint for 45 days?

Or can she just port out and back in and open a brand new Kickstart account in her name immediately, likely on the same day or next day at the latest?

I've been off Sprint (account-wise) for a year now, so I can put it in my name if necessary.
    She can do it the next day (or the same day but mixups are more likely that way, that's all)..

The offer requires a new line, not a new customer as the free plan did.

She can even do it without leaving Sprint at all by following the steps at
    https://slickdeals.net/f/10235008-sp...#post128482822

which is actually the best way of all because it is fully transparent *provided* you can be firm with cancelling with Retentions in the first step (some people apparently can not be).

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast