Thread: Tri-mode StarTAC ST7868 on Sprint

Feedback Score

Tri-mode StarTAC ST7868 on Sprint

Hi,

The TL;DR of the following is that I've confirmed that a Verizon-branded StarTAC 7868, when properly programmed, will connect to and interact with Sprint's network, but it won't activate because Sprint doesn't have its ESN registered. What I want to know, is if it is still possible to get this ESN added to Sprint's database, and if so, how to go about getting it accomplished.

I'm wondering if it's still possible for the ESN of, say, a Verizon or Alltel-branded ST7868 to be whitelisted on Sprint so it can be activated?

I have a fully working ST7867 on Ting (which uses Sprint's CSMA network) right now, so I know it's still somewhat possible to manually (since the OTA system went offline) activate phones of this vintage, which surprises me; last I knew, all these older phones were banned because they didn't have GPS capabilities for proper E911 locating.

my best guess is that with the impending 2G shutdown, some MVNOs decided to ignore the ban and let some old devices back in.

Before anyone asks, the 7868 and 7867 are virtually identical, except the 7868 is tri-mode and can operate on CDMA 800 and 1900, whereas the 7867 only operates on CDMA 1900. That being said, both are capable of connecting to and interacting with Sprint's network (I tested this by setting the SID on my spare 7868 to a Sprint one, and it connected fine; it only failed to activate), yet only the 7867 can be activated. Therefore, it seems logical that the *only* reason the 7868 won't activate is simply because its ESN isn't in Sprint's system.

Thanks!

c

Feedback Score
    Ting has a GSM side (TMobile) and a CDMA side (Sprint). They are separate. Which side is it on? Or is this a CDMA-only phone? (if so then it must indeed be on the Sprint side).

Assuming it is on the CDMA side, Sprint must have approved the activation originally. Certainly MVNO's cannot override Sprint's policies. However, that does not mean it would be approved today by either Sprint or Ting.

In fact, a Sprint ban on the new activation of most non-LTE phones just went into effect and I know it affects Ting as well.

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/ac...t/devices.html
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...8#post17058518
    https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...rt-across.html

They are not realistically going to make exceptions for this category of phone.
    Last edited by comintel; 05-15-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cc333 View Post
    Hi, The TL;DR of the following is that I've confirmed that a Verizon-branded StarTAC 7868, when properly programmed, will connect to and interact with Sprint's network, but it won't activate because Sprint doesn't have its ESN registered. What I want to know, is if it is still possible to get this ESN added to Sprint's database, and if so, how to go about getting it accomplished. I'm wondering if it's still possible for the ESN of, say, a Verizon or Alltel-branded ST7868 to be whitelisted on Sprint so it can be activated? I have a fully working ST7867 on Ting (which uses Sprint's CSMA network) right now, so I know it's still somewhat possible to manually (since the OTA system went offline) activate phones of this vintage, which surprises me; last I knew, all these older phones were banned because they didn't have GPS capabilities for proper E911 locating. my best guess is that with the impending 2G shutdown, some MVNOs decided to ignore the ban and let some old devices back in. Before anyone asks, the 7868 and 7867 are virtually identical, except the 7868 is tri-mode and can operate on CDMA 800 and 1900, whereas the 7867 only operates on CDMA 1900. That being said, both are capable of connecting to and interacting with Sprint's network (I tested this by setting the SID on my spare 7868 to a Sprint one, and it connected fine; it only failed to activate), yet only the 7867 can be activated. Therefore, it seems logical that the *only* reason the 7868 won't activate is simply because its ESN isn't in Sprint's system. Thanks! c
    see this thread - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...odays-networks see post #5

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You will not get a 7868 to activate on Sprint’s network — period — unless you can find someone to add it to the ESN database, which was hard then and even more impossible now. The 7868 was never offered by Sprint — only the 7867. For most of it’s early history until around 2003 (with the Sanyo 5300 color flip phone), Sprint only sold dual band CDMA 1900 & AMPS phones — they very much were entrenched in the idea of only offering roaming service on Analog since the huge marketing push was “If you aren’t on the nationwide Sprint PCS network, it’s just static”... even though tri-mode phones were available, Sprint didn’t pick them up until they had to.

N