Thread: Galaxy S6 won't use Volte, other phone does

Feedback Score

Galaxy S6 won't use Volte, other phone does

I activated a inexpensive tracfone (lg premier pro) on pageplus the other day, and everything worked great including the volte, it is my first experience with volte and it works much better at my rural weak signal location. I got a nice s6 hand me down, and swapped over the sim card to it and everthing works fine/normally, except it is not using Volte when available?, the only thing in any of my setting screens i can find is HD voice on/off, and i have tried both ways with no luck. I called pageplus and they said everthing shows enabled in their system, they refreshed and updated my esn swap to make sure, but no go. Swap sim card back to Lg and Volte works fine. Samsung tech support and pageplus tech support say my phone (the s6) should support it? Exact model is sm-g920v. I have also done a factory reset and tried again, same result.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Most to all Verizon branded phones have "Advanced Calling" menus which is the same as VoLTE. If you have HD calling and you have HD voice on, it means it is working. If it does not work, then it could be like some of the other older Verizon phones that need a different style of activation since they are using "Advanced Calling 1.0" and not "Advanced Calling 2.0."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Most to all Verizon branded phones have "Advanced Calling" menus which is the same as VoLTE. If you have HD calling and you have HD voice on, it means it is working. If it does not work, then it could be like some of the other older Verizon phones that need a different style of activation since they are using "Advanced Calling 1.0" and not "Advanced Calling 2.0."
    Yep, i just found that out with a little luck, i put the wife's selectel sim in the galaxy and made a couple of calls, and it kicked over to 1x, same problem as pageplus. I was about to take the sim out and send the phone back, and when i woke it up it had a screen up that said advanced calling 1.0, press accept to setup, so i did and now Volte works first time, every time. In the morning i am going to try putting my pageplus sim in and see is the software stays setup. I went through the pageplus activation process 4 times, as well as all the settings on the phone and never got that before?
    Did selectels activation process initiate that, or the tower i wonder?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I am not sure how the VoLTE/HD calling works on activation completely, but I know I have seen people with "Advanced Calling 1.0" devices have issues trying to get VoLTE/HD calling. Just do a search on this forum for the Galaxy S5 and LG G2 or G3 for Tracfone VoLTE. I think there was a few people having issue with them too. I know "Advanced Calling 2.0" devices get VoLTE/HD calling really easily. I could be wrong with that tho too.

I know I am able to SIM swap my SIM can keep VoLTE/HD calling on my friend's old Verizon Motorola Turbo 2 with no issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orohorse View Post
    Did selectels activation process initiate that, or the tower i wonder?
    Could be a unique thing with Selectel. They always had a special relationship with Verizon, and it was assumed they were running on the Postpaid network. Lots of stories about legacy Verizon branded phones not getting VoLTE on the MVNOs. Galaxy S5,S6 and LG G2,G3 as examples. These do work on direct Verizon service.

Feedback Score
    Once its properly set up on that phone and working now, i hope i can swap my pageplus sim back into it and have it remain working?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It may or may not work. It is really hard to know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    It may or may not work. It is really hard to know.
    I think Pageplus can contact verizon if I request them to, i dont know if verizon support will talk directly to a customer of one of their MVNO's?
    I know pageplus is providing the service (Volte), and i know the s6 can take advantage of it, it just needed an extra step that the newer phone did not, and verizon is probably the only one that can initiate that? The wife won't give back the first S6 that is working for her now, and i would like to order one for myself, just trying to handicap my odds of getting it working.
    thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You could trying to get a higher up PagePlus support agent, but sometimes they might not help too. It just depends on the agent that you get tho. Verizon will not help since you are not a "true" Verizon customer. I was fighting Verizon because there was a tower that was sending out Mountain Time in the middle of Central Time. The only way that I got that fixed was talking to the local stores because they did not know it was happening.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orohorse View Post
    In the morning i am going to try putting my pageplus sim in and see is the software stays setup. I went through the pageplus activation process 4 times, as well as all the settings on the phone and never got that before?
    Maybe I missed it but did you ever put the PP Sim back in your Galaxy and see if it kept the settings and VoLTE enabled?

Also you mentioned you went through the activation process 4 times. There really isn't an activation process for 4G devices other then restarting your phone and making a call after the SIMs initially activated. I know there's something in one area on their website that says about dialing the *22890 to finish the activation, but that's only for 3G phones. Another link in the website specifically says not to do the *22890 for 4G or it could mess things up. Don't know if that plays into any of this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Maybe I missed it but did you ever put the PP Sim back in your Galaxy and see if it kept the settings and VoLTE enabled?

Also you mentioned you went through the activation process 4 times. There really isn't an activation process for 4G devices other then restarting your phone and making a call after the SIMs initially activated. I know there's something in one area on their website that says about dialing the *22890 to finish the activation, but that's only for 3G phones. Another link in the website specifically says not to do the *22890 for 4G or it could mess things up. Don't know if that plays into any of this.
    Yes, that sounds right. I did Not ever run the 22890, everything works as expected when swapping sim, I did not try swapping back to the Galaxy yet because i am trying to figure out as much in advance as possible. I made 2 quick test calls on the galaxy after first putting in the already active Selectel sim in it and it did not have Volte either, it was only after a few minutes that the message from ? popped up about advanced calling 1.0 and to press accept to continue, It started working perfectly after that. We have been suffering with very poor, unreliable cell service at our house for about 4 years, to the point of not even being able to call out at all up to 40 or 50% of the time, and when we do get on a call cannot usually hold it for more than a few minutes at best, we only have 1 bar with Volte, but it works perfect 99% of the time for as long as we need to talk, so i don't want to take any chance of messing up the Wife's phone (my S6), by putting my sim back in. I know it is low probability that i would not be able to get back to this point, but i can't take a chance right now, her mother is elderly and she needs it. If i get a newer phone like a moto g6 i am pretty sure it will work right off?, But i really like the S6, so i may order another S6 (with return option), and if it acts the same, i know now to press harder with Pageplus, and try and get them to contact Verizon and activate the advanced calling feature. Verizon wants it to work, they are mandating it to all the MVNO's, i just looks like maybe on the older phones, an extra step is needed and pageplus does not have that automated.