Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    maybe dish would be interested in boost. i wonder if they could make it seem like they're finally doing something with all that spectrum if they bought boost
    Boost and Dish doesn’t know anything about building a cell phone network. Also, DISH can’t even come up with $10 billion to build out a network for all the spectrum they own by the March 2020 deadline. Boost customers have the lowest quality phones that many would only work on Sprint’s Network that T- Mobile is shutting down in 3 years or less.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm surprised that they wouldn't get rid of Virgin instead of Boost. Boost has always been one of the better aspects of Sprint. Virgin has been a disaster for many years.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    I'm surprised that they wouldn't get rid of Virgin instead of Boost. Boost has always been one of the better aspects of Sprint. Virgin has been a disaster for many years.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app
    Other than the names what is different? I am sure that Boost has many more people since I don't remember any of Virgin stores on the street.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Other than the names what is different? I am sure that Boost has many more people since I don't remember any of Virgin stores on the street.
    Boost has stores, Virgin is typically carried in retailers (I seem to recall Target, Walmart, Best Buy, but maybe not anymore). Boost competes with Metro and Cricket with similar devices, pricing, group discounts, etc. Virgin has been trying to sort out its identity and services list for awhile - even though it didn't pan out, their 'iPhone-only' era was an interesting idea. I'm guessing that the customer base (6m) and effect on the market is much smaller so Sprint/T-Mobile could fold it up if they wanted.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Maybe some of their 'concessions' will be to fix some of the 'fake' coverage that T-Mobile claims that exists.. but does not.
    I know that I sent a letter to the FCC on this, urging them to not support it until T-Mobile comes clean with their rural coverage 'verified' vs. reality. 4 years of '4G LTE Verified' where none exists outdoors in the open over many miles, while claiming on their own coverage maps to be the 'only' carrier servicing that area is an ugly lie at best.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    newest thing i've read is the doj is not impressed by these concessions.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Boost has stores, Virgin is typically carried in retailers (I seem to recall Target, Walmart, Best Buy, but maybe not anymore). Boost competes with Metro and Cricket with similar devices, pricing, group discounts, etc. Virgin has been trying to sort out its identity and services list for awhile - even though it didn't pan out, their 'iPhone-only' era was an interesting idea. I'm guessing that the customer base (6m) and effect on the market is much smaller so Sprint/T-Mobile could fold it up if they wanted.
    I bet just like Metro that almost all Boost stores are independently owned and operated. That is why those independent store owners are against the merger since the New T-Mobile only needs one branded Pre-Pay Company and Metro has a better repetition. Sprint may have some Corporate Boost stores but Boost, Virgin and Metro are mainly branding for their parent network.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 05-22-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I found this tidbit of info: https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/.../d/d-id/751655

" The Wall Street analysts at MoffettNathason explained that the DoJ uses the Herfindahl-Hirschman index (HHI) to measure market concentration. If a market is too concentrated -- if there aren't enough competitors in a given market -- then the DoJ will move against a proposed merger on the grounds that it creates an antitrust problem. The firm said that if a proposed transaction registers an HHI of 2,500 or more, the transaction is presumed to harm competition and therefore should not be allowed.

The firm calculated that the merger of Sprint and T-Mobile -- without accounting for the companies' new conditions -- would result in an HHI score around 4,500. That number is far more than would be allowed under the HHI model. "

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I found this tidbit of info: https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/.../d/d-id/751655

" The Wall Street analysts at MoffettNathason explained that the DoJ uses the Herfindahl-Hirschman index (HHI) to measure market concentration. If a market is too concentrated -- if there aren't enough competitors in a given market -- then the DoJ will move against a proposed merger on the grounds that it creates an antitrust problem. The firm said that if a proposed transaction registers an HHI of 2,500 or more, the transaction is presumed to harm competition and therefore should not be allowed.

The firm calculated that the merger of Sprint and T-Mobile -- without accounting for the companies' new conditions -- would result in an HHI score around 4,500. That number is far more than would be allowed under the HHI model. "
    I honestly don't even feel like this needed such an in-depth type of analysis. This is what anyone who knows anything about telecom and its history already knew. The fact the score is almost DOUBLE the threshold is astounding though. That should concern everyone. Especially as the model says spinning off an entire prepaid segment wouldn't even come close to lessening the gap.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    And yet most areas only have 1 choice for broadband internet, and this merger could change that!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using HoFo mobile app
    Speeds from my HTC Sensation The last one is Roadrunner-Way to impress, Time Warner

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonDoctorJT View Post
    And yet most areas only have 1 choice for broadband internet, and this merger could change that!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using HoFo mobile app
    That is why the merger is needed. I don’t want to do business with Comcast or AT&T that I hate to the Bone but they are my only choices for home broadband.

Device(s)
    Samsung S7 Edge, S6, S5, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9 + (T-Mobile), S8+ Duos (Intl), S7 Edge International Gold (Unlocked), Samsung S6 U
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    That is why the merger is needed. I don’t want to do business with Comcast or AT&T that I hate to the Bone but they are my only choices for home broadband.
    Amazingly, in the Seattle area, far majority are on Comcast vs. the telcos; Frontier FiOS fiber (North) or (CenturyLink (Sea/Bellevue South). I may be going Comcast as Frontier is expensive and a billing/CS nightmare. T-Mobile ONE 55+ myself and the wife is still on Verizon here...

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by davegtestr View Post
    Amazingly, in the Seattle area, far majority are on Comcast vs. the telcos; Frontier FiOS fiber (North) or (CenturyLink (Sea/Bellevue South). I may be going Comcast as Frontier is expensive and a billing/CS nightmare. T-Mobile ONE 55+ myself and the wife is still on Verizon here...
    Well in my case the Comcast cables in the ground are going on 40 years. I have had 4 total outages of both internet and Cable TV in 2019 of a minimum of 12 hours each of the four times. If we get a lot of rain I also have some shorter outages for up to a hour of just the internet. I have had to install a TV antenna as backup for the poor service. I have connected T-Mobile to my iPad as backup. That is why I want T-Mobile for fixed broadband.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    (makes me wonder what t-mobile promised them)

Wireless carrier C Spire has ended its opposition to the proposed merger of Sprint Corp. and T-Mobile US Inc.

The Mississippi-based company, which calls itself the nation’s largest privately held wireless carrier, pulled out of the 4Competition Coalition last month, according to a company official. The 4Competition Coalition, whose members include unions, Common Cause, the Rural Wireless Association and Dish Network LLC, has been among the most vocal opponents of the $26.5 billion Sprint/T-Mobile merger.

C Spire said in a statement to the Business Journal that it had joined the coalition due to concern about the merger’s impact on mobile roaming rates.

“Our advocacy was limited to a narrow set of issues, and we are no longer concerned that those issues should prevent the transaction from being approved,” Ben Moncrief, vice president of government relations for C Spire, said in a statement.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    (makes me wonder what t-mobile promised them)

Wireless carrier C Spire has ended its opposition to the proposed merger of Sprint Corp. and T-Mobile US Inc.

The Mississippi-based company, which calls itself the nation’s largest privately held wireless carrier, pulled out of the 4Competition Coalition last month, according to a company official. The 4Competition Coalition, whose members include unions, Common Cause, the Rural Wireless Association and Dish Network LLC, has been among the most vocal opponents of the $26.5 billion Sprint/T-Mobile merger.

C Spire said in a statement to the Business Journal that it had joined the coalition due to concern about the merger’s impact on mobile roaming rates.

“Our advocacy was limited to a narrow set of issues, and we are no longer concerned that those issues should prevent the transaction from being approved,” Ben Moncrief, vice president of government relations for C Spire, said in a statement.
    Well that is scary. Cspire is a CDMA Network that mainly has native service in Mississippi. They use Sprint’s Network for roaming outside MS. Cspire had requested that if the merger was approved that the Sprint CDMA Network continue for 5 years instead of the three years the New T-Mobile wanted. Not sure what Cspire VoLTE is build out. Hopefully T- Mobile told Cspire they would only help get their VoLTE to work for roaming.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast