Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory phone upgrade?

Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Mandatory phone upgrade?

Just wondering why a family member is being told there straight talk phone will no longer work by the end of the. Year they are being told they have to get a new phone before then or it will be shut off. I have never herd of such a thing. Anyone have any news of this???

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I believe it is using Verizon as the carrier. It is real. Check out this thread in the TracFone/Net10 subforum - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...re-End-of-2019

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yep, all phones on Verizon have to be VoLTE enabled by end of year. New activations of non-VoLTE phones is already shut off. Existing non-VoLTE phones will quit working when Verizon closes the CDMA network.

Many phones are not compatible, and will have to be replaced. Some Verizon branded models will not work on VoLTE. There have been problems with Samsung Galaxy 5,6,7. Some do and some don't.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Will the CDMA network really be shut down by the end of the year? Whats the exact date?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
    Will the CDMA network really be shut down by the end of the year? Whats the exact date?
    As far as we know January 1st, 2020 is the first day without CDMA, and it has been on the web for about two years already. We don't know if they are going to turn it all off overnight tho.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I keep getting a message to replace my perfectly good Iphone 5s. Not sure what I will do yet.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You have just over 6 months to choose. No commitment required yet but start planning ahead.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I keep getting a message to replace my perfectly good Iphone 5s. Not sure what I will do yet.
    If ATT coverage is good enough where you live, you could consider changing Straight Talk plans to ATT.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have seen people saying that Tracfone has been sending out emails with a promo for people with phones that will not work after that date.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    If ATT coverage is good enough where you live, you could consider changing Straight Talk plans to ATT.
    Only as long as the phone's compatible with ATT. But when ATT changes in a couple more years the 5s won't work either.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just replace it! Get one of those from Walmart or online:
    https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...ghttalk/phones
    Moto G6 or iPhone 6s are $149, Samsung Galaxy S7 or iPhone 7 are like $299.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Just replace it! Get one of those from Walmart or online:
    https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...ghttalk/phones
    Moto G6 or iPhone 6s are $149, Samsung Galaxy S7 or iPhone 7 are like $299.
    Keep in mind to some folks it’s not always about the money but the hassle of migrating their contacts and data from old phone to new. With iPhone most of its simple if you sync it up to iCloud but to get it all requires a desktop with iTunes backup and restore which is still somewhat of a hassle.

Sigh - I know it’s frustrating for sure but we have to move with the times or we get run over.

—Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    Keep in mind to some folks it’s not always about the money but the hassle of migrating their contacts and data from old phone to new. With iPhone most of its simple if you sync it up to iCloud but to get it all requires a desktop with iTunes backup and restore which is still somewhat of a hassle.

Sigh - I know it’s frustrating for sure but we have to move with the times or we get run over.

—Kidd
    Or, many major stores have tools to transfer the data from phone to phone. The traditional method was through a device manufactured by Cellbrite before iCloud and Google became mainstream to accomplish the same task.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Mandatory phone upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Or, many major stores have tools to transfer the data from phone to phone. The traditional method was through a device manufactured by Cellbrite before iCloud and Google became mainstream to accomplish the same task.
    ——

Sooner or later change happens and with each different manufacturer there isn’t a “unified” format for addresses etc. I looked at the ST offerings for a replacement basic phone and I thought the Alcatel they offered was pretty poor quality IMO..

—-
    FYI:

I did something simple. I went back to Verizon Postpaid after 10 years of Straighttalk. I wanted iWatch support and tethering which ST offers neither. And I am not under any contract. (I got a $250 prepaid MC to boot, fir bringing my smartphone to VZ)

The wife dropped her LG238c and went with an LG Exalt (it was unlocked right out of the box) with an unlimited talk/text/512MB $30 a month with VZ.
    (with tethering capability even though it’s only 512MB data it’s better than what ST had under their $30 a month basic plan)

I went with the VZ “beyond unlimited” plan for my iPhone XS Max 512 and get $20 off per month. My iPad and laptop both have tethering available from my iPhone or my wife’s LG Exalt.

The old setup was the ST $55 a month plan and the $30 a month 1500 minute plan and the AT&T $30 ($29.95 unlimited) a month plan for my iPad.

I’m actually paying less for the total with a $15 a month public safety discount and a $5 debit card payment setup.
    The Pilot

CFI-AIM-FE
    DC-10/A-320/B-727/B-737

Many phones, but use an unlocked iPhone 4S-64 and a BB9800

I have a 3GS-32 for a spare

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Any Android phone migrates the contacts the same way as Apple does - they are all saved in the cloud by default.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast