Thread: Yet Another Google Pay Fail

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score

Post Yet Another Google Pay Fail

Name:  gp-fail.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  46.4 KB

Okay, this is getting a bit ridiculous... after years of complaining about tap and pay on Android I finally have a OnePlus phone with a decent NFC radio and a stable version of Magisk that successfully hides root from Google's official tap and pay app.

And it still doesn't work.

Shame on me, I guess, for thinking I could use it with my AMEX card at a shop where AMEX isn't accepted. Since Google obfuscates your credit card number from the merchant I assumed that the type of credit card would similarly be hidden; I was wrong. I realize that it's only a matter of time until tap and pay finally starts working as promised, but this latest experience has me questioning yet again if I should even bother.

Let's revisit the three pillars of Google Pay:

Security
    Again, Google Pay hides my credit card number from the retailer, but here in Canada credit cards use Chip and PIN security which yields, for the user, pretty much the same result.

Convenience
    Google Pay does at least let me leave my credit and debit cards at home, so if I get a hankering for Peanut M&Ms when I'm out getting exercise then I'm covered. But most of the time I carry my phone in my oversized wallet, so the value for me is dubious at best.

Offers
    Google Pay is supposed to alert me of nearby offers as I make my way through the world. For the past week in downtown Toronto the number of said offers has been zero.

I'm starting to wonder if the only real perk of using Google Pay is that Google gets to see all of your transactions on any registered card, whether you're using Google Pay or not. Is there something I'm missing here?
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    Google detects your phone doesn't have enough telemetry connected to their servers & your phone is blocking ads. So no Google Pay for you.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a racist, godless, immoral, hypersensitive, crass, narcissist liar, psychopath committing High Treason against the USA.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Feedback Score
    Not to worry, Magisk has the CC numbers now.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Google detects your phone doesn't have enough telemetry connected to their servers & your phone is blocking ads.
    And that would explain why I'm not getting any offers... Hadn't thought of that; thanks!

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Using Google or Apple Pay or any other NFC payment product will not change the network your payments go over. If it’s an AmEx, it’s an AmEx no matter if it’s the physical card or loaded in your phone — if the shop doesn’t take AmEx, no amount of hiding the number will make it happen. The stores dictate which networks their credit card readers will process payments on. The readers can tell this by the numbers — note how (at least in the US) Visa cards start with 4, Mastercard with 5, Discover with 6, and AmEx 3 or 4 and is only 15 instead of 16 digits.

Now, occasionally a store will “say” they don’t take AmEx, or only post Visa/Mastercard in the window, and actually take it anyway, but that’s the exception not the rule. As a heavy AmEx user, I find that I just use it first everywhere — maybe about 25% of stores without AmEx in the window still take it — otherwise they don’t and I use the backup Visa.

Unfortunately there is no way to make your AmEx not an AmEx

N

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Using Google or Apple Pay or any other NFC payment product will not change the network your payments go over. If it’s an AmEx, it’s an AmEx no matter if it’s the physical card or loaded in your phone — if the shop doesn’t take AmEx, no amount of hiding the number will make it happen. The stores dictate which networks their credit card readers will process payments on. The readers can tell this by the numbers — note how (at least in the US) Visa cards start with 4, Mastercard with 5, Discover with 6, and AmEx 3 or 4 and is only 15 instead of 16 digits.

Now, occasionally a store will “say” they don’t take AmEx, or only post Visa/Mastercard in the window, and actually take it anyway, but that’s the exception not the rule. As a heavy AmEx user, I find that I just use it first everywhere — maybe about 25% of stores without AmEx in the window still take it — otherwise they don’t and I use the backup Visa.

N

Feedback Score
    Amex charges more so that is why some shops don't accept it. Often small businesses won't take amex but most large businesses will.

So just use another credit card. Most people with amex have another card.

As for the Google pay that I never used so don't know much about it but I don't see much advantage over just using a credit card.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10e, Iphone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Google Pay, and Apple Pay in my opinion are just another example of the high tech world in that which we live that do things just because "they can" rather than for any real practical benefit. For me, it actually seems much quicker and easier to just take a card out of my wallet and pay with it. The ONLY plus I can see is that by leaving all cards at home, you may be at less risk of losing a card here or there or having its magnetic strip or chip data stolen as you are much less likely to hand your phone over to a waiter who then might go to some other room to make the payment.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Maybe it's just me, but I consider not receiving offers (i.e. additional geo-targeted [intrusive] advertising) a good thing.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    It sounds to me like he was expecting it to work more like PayPal where they transact cash from the AmEx card into the balance and then simultaneous transfer the money directly to the merchant on their own network.

Merchants sometimes take PayPal but they wouldn’t prefer it at all because the fees are overall a lot higher so I don’t expect any solution like that to get traction.

—Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score

Toronto

Guys, guys, I did the thing:

Name:  gp-success.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  61.6 KB

Attached my VISA card to Google Pay, used it at a location where VISA was accepted. Girlfriend captured the moment for posterity.

And only 7 and a half years since my last successful mobile NFC payment!