Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Are My options For Service In The Basement Of My House On Total Wireless?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I have Total Wireless and use Google Voice for Wifi Calling. Works great. Hangouts is awful though, so use the Google Voice app.
    Can you use the normal Total Wireless Number when you make Wifi calls?
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    No, Google Voice uses it's own number, provided for free by Google.
    Also uses a different app than the usual dialer. Can be set to use the dialer, but then it becomes the main number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Can you use the normal Total Wireless Number when you make Wifi calls?

You can if you use Hangouts, provided you do NOT have a Google Voice account.

Calling via Hangouts performs PERFECTLY and identically to or better than Google Voice for me - in fact it is beautiful beautiful voice quality superior in quality to cellular voice. I am delighted with it.
    Last edited by comintel; 05-12-2019 at 10:56 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    You can if you use Hangouts, provided you do NOT have a Google Voice account.

Calling via Hangouts performs PERFECTLY and identically to or better than Google Voice for me - in fact it is beautiful beautiful voice quality superior in quality to cellular voice. I am delighted with it.
    What's the process to use Hangouts with a carrier # WITHOUT a Google Voice account? Can you please provide a link describing how to use Hangouts with a carrier phone #? Thanks!

I do agree that voice quality over data is at least as good with Hangouts as with the GV app.

Also, there are still too many bugs and shortcomings with the GV app that it doesn't make sense to use it instead of Hangouts for calls and messaging over data only.

I keep hoping that the GV app gets fixed soon, but it's not yet ready for me to use for my primary GV #s yet.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T and Sprint), Google Fi
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What's the process to use Hangouts with a carrier # WITHOUT a Google Voice account? Can you please provide a link describing how to use Hangouts with a carrier phone #? Thanks!
    comintel meant "You can if you use Hangouts, provided you do NOT have a Google Voice number.", in other words, just a Google account without getting a Google Voice telephone number. In this scenario, you can verify any telephone number then use it as outgoing call caller ID telephone number when you use Hangouts to make outgoing telephone calls.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    comintel meant "You can if you use Hangouts, provided you do NOT get a Google Voice number.". In this scenario, you can verify any telephone number then use it as outgoing call caller ID telephone number when you use Hangouts to make outgoing telephone calls.
    Oh, okay. Somehow I never knew that. That's an interesting and potentially useful feature of Hangouts for people that don't have unlimited voice minutes!

Is there any way to make Hangouts ring when someone calls the cellular # in the above scenario?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T and Sprint), Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    No, just for the very same Google account, because Google Voice/Hangouts do not have a telephone number assigned for the very same account that can be used as forwarding telephone number from carrier telephone number. Therefore, incoming calls to carrier telephone number still have to be answered by default Phone app unless it is forwarded to another telephone number.

On the other hand, the beauty of Hangouts is that it can handle multiple Google accounts just like GMail app. Consequently, one can have another Google account with Google Voice assigned telephone number for carrier telephone number to forward to. Then, incoming calls to carrier telephone number will ring Hangouts. While answering all incoming calls will not need to pay attention to which Google account Hangouts is currently handling, for outgoing calls, if caller want to make sure it will show carrier telephone number, (s)he must make sure Hangouts is using the Google account without Google Voice assigned telephone number. If caller inadvertently use the Google account with Google Voice assigned telephone number, it sure will show the Google Voice assigned telephone number instead of carrier telephone number. In other words, one can never simply call back due to missed incoming call or earlier incoming call.
    Last edited by hoktrillian; 05-14-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Feedback Score
    try for VoIP calling...

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    No, because Google Voice/Hangouts do not have a telephone number assigned that can be used as forwarding telephone number from carrier telephone number. Therefore, incoming calls to carrier telephone number still have to be answered by default Phone app unless it is forwarded to another telephone number.
    Okay. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

I do agree that voice quality over data is at least as good with Hangouts as with the GV app.

Also, there are still too many bugs and shortcomings with the GV app that it doesn't make sense to use it instead of Hangouts for calls and messaging over data only.

I keep hoping that the GV app gets fixed soon, but it's not yet ready for me to use for my primary GV #s yet.

Just set Outbound Caller ID in Hangout Settings.
    This setting will appear only after you completely remove Google Voice from your Google account.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/...DAndroid&hl=en
    expand the section "Show your....."

I am not claiming it supports incoming calls made to your carrier number. But just being able to set outbound caller ID is big for me.
    Last edited by comintel; 05-15-2019 at 03:07 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Just set Outbound Caller ID in Hangout Settings.
    This setting will appear only after you completely remove Google Voice from your Google account.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/...DAndroid&hl=en
    expand the section "Show your....."

I am not claiming it supports incoming calls made to your carrier number. But just being able to set outbound caller ID is big for me.
    That could be pretty useful to some people, even if just for outgoing calls over data. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I might be confused about your situation but from what I gather, you're not getting any signal in the basement? Have you tested to see if you are getting any kind of signal. If you are, you may be able to use a signal booster to amplify the signal. Naturally, a signal booster won't do you any good if there's zero signal, but if you have a signal (even a weak one), you can boost it and hopefully solve the problem. Check this blog out for some possible help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2