Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Sim swapping

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersrule View Post
    ...If your BYOP SIM is CDMA based(Verizon) to use VERIZON towers on your BYOP, then the SIM is tied to the PHYSICAL PHONES IMEI. Meaning it is tied to the phone ITSELF. You can't just SIM Swap willy nilly on a CDMA based SIM since it is tied to the actual physical phone itself....
    That is true for Sprint, but not Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Me too. I have sim swapped CDMA (Verizon) TF sims in BYOP phones as well as Tracfone branded phones. Also straight talk iPhone.

Also just bought a broken unlocked Verizon phone off eBay and used that IMEI. I never use the sim that comes with TF or ST phone. Just label it well and leave it with phone paperwork.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Well, I swapped the sims in a Tracfone branded LG Treasure and a newer BYOP LG Phoenix 4 (unlocked but still has some AT&T junk on it). It was slick and so much easier than dealing with Tracfone to get the older phone's number, service days, etc., transferred to the new phone and then having to reactivate the older phone, which I'm keeping as a backup. I'm grateful for the helpful info in the forums that made me realize I could do it, although this thread makes me realize not everyone wants to keep both phones and can.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalrose View Post
    Well, I swapped the sims in a Tracfone branded LG Treasure and a newer BYOP LG Phoenix 4 (unlocked but still has some AT&T junk on it). It was slick and so much easier than dealing with Tracfone to get the older phone's number, service days, etc., transferred to the new phone and then having to reactivate the older phone, which I'm keeping as a backup. I'm grateful for the helpful info in the forums that made me realize I could do it, although this thread makes me realize not everyone wants to keep both phones and can.
    Since they can't be rooted, the best you can do on an AT&T branded Android phone with the pre-installed AT&T crap is to disable it. Unfortunately, sometimes some of it can't even be disabled.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Since they can't be rooted, the best you can do on an AT&T branded Android phone with the pre-installed AT&T crap is to disable it. Unfortunately, sometimes some of it can't even be disabled.
    I think I have it all turned off. At least it's not doing anything that shows up or bothers me. I don't use a phone all that much, and my original intention was to keep the Treasure as my main phone and have the Phoenix as a backup (Treasure's battery failed recently and as it was my only phone, it left me with nothing in case of emergency until I got new battery). However, I really like the Phoenix, and it's noticeably faster. So glad I read about sim switching in threads like this.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    That is true for Sprint, but not Verizon.
    Thanks for the correction. So just I have my mind straight(there are so many DIFFERENT SCENARIOS that people have placed in this thread, that it just became completely confusing too me. That was my point.):

If I buy a USED/UNLOCKED Verizon branded phone(Iphone or Android) that was a VERIZON phone off of EBay, but was UNLOCKED to be used on all carriers, I can just pop in my BYOP TMFL SIM(setup on the GSM/AT&T towers about 2 years ago. My Iphone says TFW in the upper right corner) into that "new" phone without any issues(phone calls/Data/etc...)?

Or should I avoid the VERIZON UNLOCKED phones, and just stick with the AT&T UNLOCKED versions of Iphones/Androids on EBay since they are GSM based to begin with?

Or it simply does not matter? Either unlocked phone are fine to do what I propose? Very simple, just swap the sim out into the "new" phone, and go. Erase/wipe the memory from the old phone, and sell it. No need to keep it. like some have suggested here...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the correction. So just I have my mind straight(there are so many DIFFERENT SCENARIOS that people have placed in this thread, that it just became completely confusing too me. That was my point.):

If I buy a USED/UNLOCKED Verizon branded phone(Iphone or Android) that was a VERIZON phone off of EBay, but was UNLOCKED to be used on all carriers, I can just pop in my BYOP TMFL SIM(setup on the GSM/AT&T towers about 2 years ago. My Iphone says TFW in the upper right corner) into that "new" phone without any issues(phone calls/Data/etc...)?

Or should I avoid the VERIZON UNLOCKED phones, and just stick with the AT&T UNLOCKED versions of Iphones/Androids on EBay since they are GSM based to begin with?

Or it simply does not matter? Either unlocked phone are fine to do what I propose? Very simple, just swap the sim out into the "new" phone, and go. Erase/wipe the memory from the old phone, and sell it. No need to keep it. like some have suggested here...
    An u locked Verizon phone is truly unlocked. If you get the AT&T phone unlocked or you buy it unlocked it’s truly unlocked. Both will do what you have said. Take sim out and put it in new phone. No worries or complications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Or it simply does not matter? Either unlocked phone are fine to do what I propose?
    Some Verizon phones (especially the Motos) have both CDMA and GSM radios. When unlocked, they can be used with Verizon, or AT&T, or T-mo, and other MVNOs. An AT&T phone typically has only GSM radio, when unlocked it can be used with AT&T, T-mo, and other MVNO that use GSM. The phones with both CDMA and GSM radios are more versatile.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes it gets confusing when we try to do something other than walk into a carrier store and pay full price for a new phone and service.

Verizon postpaid* phones since about 2013 have been carrier unlocked when originally sold. This is because of a deal they made with the FCC in exchange for some spectrum, not the goodness of their heart. Now for the tricky bit. Verizon has started locking their newer phones, like in the last year or so IIRC. So I would look for unlocked in an eBay description no matter what.

So yes, you can put your Tracfone-AT&T SIM in a Verizon branded phone and it will work to the extent that the phone has the LTE bands that AT&T uses. Voice and text will work fine. Those use the same frequency bands between Verizon and AT&T. You have to research the specifications of the particular Verizon phone to see if it has the AT&T LTE bands. The major ones are: 2, 4, 5, 17. LTE band 17 is the important one for AT&T. That is the "low" frequency one (700 MHz) that goes furthest from the cell and can penetrate buildings.

Older and cheaper Verizon phones tend to have fewer LTE bands other than what Verizon uses.

That depends on what the current phone is. If it is a non-Verizon phone, no problem. If it is a Verizon phone using Verizon on Tracfone, just swapping the SIM and selling the phone would leave you vulnerable to having your service terminated if the next owner activates it with Tracfone using Verizon. This does not appear to be your situation with a TF AT&T SIM.

*Verizon Prepaid phones have different rules. They are carrier locked until a certain amount of money is spent for Prepaid service, $75 IIRC. There are exceptions. There was a period of time a couple of years ago when you could get some Vz Prepaid phones unlocked by a third party. Moto E4 and E5 from that time period are examples.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Some Verizon phones (especially the Motos) have both CDMA and GSM radios. When unlocked, they can be used with Verizon, or AT&T, or T-mo, and other MVNOs.
    Some Verizon branded phones have radios for GSM, but may not have the LTE bands for AT&T or T-Mobile. The Samsung Galaxy S series all seem to be missing the essential Bands 12 and 17, which could cripple the reception in some areas.

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I currently use a Moto G6 play, decided to upgrade to a Z3play.. I should be able to just put my sim into the new phone.. The g6 was already provisioned for HD calling, Volte and visual voice mail, so I got my fingers crossed.. I will keep the old phone, so no worry about them having the wrong IMEI, i hope..

Device(s)
    Moto Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    I currently use a Moto G6 play, decided to upgrade to a Z3play.. I should be able to just put my sim into the new phone.. The g6 was already provisioned for HD calling, Volte and visual voice mail, so I got my fingers crossed.. I will keep the old phone, so no worry about them having the wrong IMEI, i hope..
    Got my new Z3 and swapped my sim into it.. No issues at all.. everything works, i have VVM and Volte is provisioned..

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK, I apologize in advance if this specific question has already been asked, so here goes. Bought an old Alcatel Pixi Glitz Tracphone at a garage sale. Sim is gone. Can a new sim be obtained and will it then work? Or is the phone now trash?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    Bought an old Alcatel Pixi Glitz Tracphone at a garage sale. Sim is gone. Can a new sim be obtained and will it then work? Or is the phone now trash?
    That phone is a GSM phone, so it'll work with AT&T or T-mobile. Contact TF and tell the rep you need a new SIM (you choose AT&T or T-mo) and they'll send you one free of charge. Hope you didn't pay more than $1 for it. That phone is ancient and has very little internal memory and RAM.

Alcatel Pixi Glitz Review

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Exactly $1! Perfect shape and function.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4