Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sim swapping

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    i want to transfer my cdma tracfone sim from byop to a new byop. I also want to be able to activate my old phone on tracfone with a new sim. how would i do this?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, Lumia 640XL
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by arakisdune View Post
    i want to transfer my cdma tracfone sim from byop to a new byop. I also want to be able to activate my old phone on tracfone with a new sim. how would i do this?
    Activate the new BYOP CDMA SIM with a transfer from your current BYOP CDMA SIM, you'll need to supply a new whitelisted IMEI. This is done as ONE transaction. We recommend using Chat, so everything "said" will be in the chat transcript for record. Ask the rep to give your balance and service end date before doing the transfer. Copy the chat transcript from the chat box and paste into a text file on your computer and save it.

After the new SIM and phone are working, you can reactivate the old BYOP CDMA SIM. TF allows re-using a CDMA SIM, you won't need to get a new SIM. It'll be assigned a new phone number, and you'll need to redeem a time card to activate it (or transfer from another SIM/phone).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    so i cant transfer my current sim to the xr?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by arakisdune View Post
    so i cant transfer my current sim to the xr?
    That depends on what you meant exactly by transfer. If you meant physically transferring/swapping it from the iphone 6 to the xr, it'll work but the SIM is still paired with the 6's IMEI. If you meant asking a rep to unpair the SIM from the 6's IMEI and pair it with the xr's IMEI, you can try asking. I've never done it. Don't know if anyone in this forum had done it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just to recap some things mentioned concerning SIM swap:

a) Both BYOD or branded phones have IMEI/SIM pairing when activated. (original pairing)
    b) After a SIM swap the pairing still reflects the original pairing.
    c) If the old originally activated phone (which no longer has the SIM) is a BYOD phone it won't get past the IMEI check when someone tries to reactivate it since it's still in the system as an active IMEI.
    d) If the old originally activated phone (which no longer has the SIM) is a "branded" phone it will apparently pass the IMEI check when someone tries to reactivate it, but the orginal SIM will be deactivated.

IF I got that right, why would even the branded phone get past the IMEI check since it's still in the system as active ?

Once again, thanks for your patience.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just to recap some things mentioned concerning SIM swap:

a) Both BYOD or branded phones have IMEI/SIM pairing when activated. (original pairing)
    c) If the old originally activated phone (which no longer has the SIM) is a BYOD phone it won't get past the IMEI check when someone tries to reactivate it since it's still in the system as an active IMEI.
    d) If the old originally activated phone (which no longer has the SIM) is a "branded" phone it will apparently pass the IMEI check when someone tries to reactivate it, but the original SIM will be deactivated.

IF I got that right, why would even the branded phone get past the IMEI check since it's still in the system as active ?
    a) An exception is GSM BYOP SIM. It's not paired with an IMEI. As per the analogy, it's a free-loving, unattached hippie.
    d) A TF-branded IMEI cannot be used to activate a BYOP CDMA SIM, so it doesn't really pass the whitelist. When you (re)activate a TF-branded phone, it automatically uses the SIM number paired with it in TF system. If you want to use that phone with a new SIM, a rep will have to unpair (and the deactivate) the old SIM from that phone's IMEI then pair the new SIM with that IMEI.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Referring to d) the problem is that the new owner will say that the present sim is missing/damaged/whatever. Tracfone will oblige by sending a new sim. They are happy for someone to start a new account. The old account becomes history. It doesn't matter which carrier is involved. Tracfone wants the phone to generate income.

Referring to c) the IMEI thing is not relevant for "GSM" as they don't mandate a pairing. Also, the sim is the star, not the phone. Except that Verizon wants to control the hardware that is accessing the system for their own reasons. Probably to deny access to their phones that still need the ransom paid.

The other carriers can see your IMEI but their idea of clean is different.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The SIM/IMEI pairing we have been accustomed to may change. It has been reported on the Page Plus forum that when an active SIM is swapped into another phone, the new phone's IMEI is then coupled with it. The network can read where a SIM is located.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The SIM/IMEI pairing we have been accustomed to may change. It has been reported on the Page Plus forum that when an active SIM is swapped into another phone, the new phone's IMEI is then coupled with it. The network can read where a SIM is located.
    So far I think it was reported (by rpz1?) that's the case with Page Plus. Nothing like that reported for Tracfones that I know of.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    So far I think it was reported (by rpz1?) that's the case with Page Plus. Nothing like that reported for Tracfones that I know of.
    That's why I said MAY CHANGE. Verizon has always had the capability of identifying what phones are on their system. They could clamp down on all the MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That would be me. I confirmed with them a couple times and made checks with them. Maybe they were just blowing smoke. Anyone reading this that's with PagePlus that's done a SIM swap might check too and see what we come up with.

Loboheeler...when you say "That's why I said MAY CHANGE. Verizon has always had the capability of identifying what phones are on their system. They could clamp down on all the MVNOs." Do you mean all MVNOs may start doing the auto re-pair; or Verizon will stop allowing the auto re-pair?

Also, I thought the first step in activating a phone is the IMEI check and if the phone doesn't get past that IMEI showing active, no SIM is asked for. Thus my question about the c) d) difference.

And, if a branded phone is unlocked; the whole SIM deactivation is moot since it's then basically a BYOD?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Also, I thought the first step in activating a phone is the IMEI check and if the phone doesn't get past that IMEI showing active, no SIM is asked for. Thus my question about the c) d) difference.
    Here's the difference between c) and d)....
    c) When you enter the IMEI of a BYOP phone that's already been used with an active BYOP SIM, you'll get an error message telling you to contact TF. When do you and give the IMEI, the rep will say that the IMEI is already used with an active BYOP SIM.

d) When you enter the IMEI of a TF-branded phone, you'll get an error message telling you to contact TF. When you do and give the IMEI, the rep will say that it is a TF-branded phone and cannot be used as a BYOP phone.

And, if a branded phone is unlocked; the whole SIM deactivation is moot since it's then basically a BYOD?
    I don't know. You're way ahead of us. The whole idea of unlocking a TF-branded phone is that it can be used with another provider. Whether TF system still sees it as a TF-branded phone (based on its IMEI), I don't know. Once you have a TF-branded phone unlocked by TF, try it and let us know.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Reading through this thread makes my head hurt. LOL. Literally.

This thread has taken simple SIM swapping and turned into a colossal mess. Great, now my stomach hurts. LOL

The simplest form of SIM Swapping is with BYOP(PLEASE STOP CALLING IT BYOD. That is driving me crazy) phones.

If your BYOP SIM is CDMA based(Verizon) to use VERIZON towers on your BYOP, then the SIM is tied to the PHYSICAL PHONES IMEI. Meaning it is tied to the phone ITSELF. You can't just SIM Swap willy nilly on a CDMA based SIM since it is tied to the actual physical phone itself.

On the other hand, if you set up ypur BYOP SIM to be a GSM SIM(At&T), and are using AT&T towers for service, then you can switch the SIM out at will.

Between IPhones, and Androids(I know about the iMessage thing, but let's KISS here).

As long as the phones are UNLOCKED. Unlocked from either Verizon, or AT&T, then you can GSM SIM Swap, at will.

Everyone is making this way to complicated then it needs too be.

I need to lie down...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersrule
    This thread has taken simple SIM swapping and turned into a colossal mess.
    I only responded about all the scenarios that rpz1 came up with.

If your BYOP SIM is CDMA based(Verizon) to use VERIZON towers on your BYOP, then the SIM is tied to the PHYSICAL PHONES IMEI. Meaning it is tied to the phone ITSELF. You can't just SIM Swap willy nilly on a CDMA based SIM since it is tied to the actual physical phone itself.
    Not quite true, you CAN just SIM swap willy nilly. Once a BYOP CDMA SIM was activated (using the IMEI of a phone that passes the whitelist check), it can be used (unofficially) in pretty much any compatible phone. I bought a broken Verizon phone on Ebay and used its IMEI to activate a BYOP CDMA SIM. I'm using that SIM in several different phones with no problems.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersrule View Post
    Well, we're all (or most of us) swapping our SIMs willy nilly on our Verizon network phones. The IMEI/SIM pairing stays the same as the original (except for Page Plus from what PP tells me.) But no issues with it working.

The continued discussions (I'm likely the fault of that) are about what happens when you don't return the SIMs to the original and sell/reactivate a phone etc. Not talking about GSM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast