Device(s)
    Motorola Z3 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

T-Mobile 2G/3G Sunset?

Does anyone have updated information on the 2G/EDGE network sunset? What about the 3G/HSPA sunset? I looked all over the internet and found no recent news.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    For 2G at least, I wouldn't say that soon. Tmobile is the only provider in the USA (national one at least) using that tech. There are a lot of connected devices still using EDGE. Also, much of the world uses the 4 bands for GSM/EDGE so roamers from other countries in the USA are going to only have 1 choice.

That's all good for Tmo because while it isn't explosive growth, it's steady revenue which is the backbone to such a company. If you have a steady, almost guaranteed $250 million from that, why kill the golden goose?

The 3G I don't know. They have moved much of their UMTS to band 2, but still have some on band 4 which they originally used. I think in many places they've slimmed it down to just 1 channel at 4.1MHz x 2 channel (or whatever the narrowed band is with new tech). So that's some spectrum obviously and the panels have to stay up, but I imagine it would be pretty low cost to just at least leave it on as a back up or if there is roaming for UMTS. Using the band 4 though killed it as most other countries never had or used band 4 for UMTS.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    T-mobile's Mr Ray said 2g until 2020 with no development. 3g sunset started already in 2016 - is hard to find 3g. Mr Ray also wants to hurry up, now he wants to shutdown 2g this year.. with 30% of people still using 2g with no free device incentive.. i see that hard to accomplish.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    T-mobile's Mr Ray said 2g until 2020 with no development. 3g sunset started already in 2016 - is hard to find 3g. Mr Ray also wants to hurry up, now he wants to shutdown 2g this year.. with 30% of people still using 2g with no free device incentive.. i see that hard to accomplish.
    3g and 2g still available here in SoCal. Ventura County moved their 3g to AWS band as they have 25MHz worth and it could not aggregate

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That’s not possible. Three years ago T-Mobile said almost 70% of calls were VoLTE. By now it has to be close to 90%. There’s no way 30% of users are in 2G devices. Maybe 5% at most?

https://www.tmonews.com/2016/12/t-mo...etwork-update/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't think it's for calls so much now, but pre-IoT type devices, right? As Morphling27 says above.

e.g. Low bandwidth devices that would just use 2G as it was fast enough (for those old devices).

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    nah in the 5g conference Ray said it was still 30%. but he is including non-volte.. 30% makes up 2g/3g/4g/lte only; since they want to populate everybody to VoLTE ....It kinda makes sense, with people holding to phones longer and half of android not working on volte, and then legacy phones plus IoT... without an incentive, they will not get rid of the last percentage. They need to give out free phones to those people with 2g/3g or just lte devices. People will not buy a device just to accommodate a corporation wishes.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    nah in the 5g conference Ray said it was still 30%. but he is including non-volte.. 30% makes up 2g/3g/4g/lte only; since they want to populate everybody to VoLTE ....It kinda makes sense, with people holding to phones longer and half of android not working on volte, and then legacy phones plus IoT... without an incentive, they will not get rid of the last percentage. They need to give out free phones to those people with 2g/3g or just lte devices. People will not buy a device just to accommodate a corporation wishes.
    They should offer people, the 1,203 I guess, on a 2G phone a free something. It's really just bad optics to not do that and keeping a long-term customer paying even a smaller APRU bill is excellent for the long-term revenue.

I am guess as you've all speculated with the 30%, that must be total connections. 2G only seems incredibly high, but most of the IoT devices would have flocked from ATT at their taking 2G down. It's not like the customers had any choice at that point. To make math easy, let's put Tmo at 80 million subs total. That's 24 million 'somethings' on 2g? I can't buy that, even with all the IoT alarms and old monitoring systems and such. It also doesn't jive with the 1 million post paid subs a quarter, those would most likely be whole sale applications.

Outside grandma and her friend Bertha, what can Tmo do for the wholesale devices? The radio itself is pretty cheap, but it's so integrated into the alarm or camera or farming monitoring system they can't really offer a replacement without incurring serious costs. Then, would they install it or would the company who uses it? Also, many items were just never updated to use UMTS or LTE. So, unless the consumers find a new item that is equivalent, their systems are going to go dark.

To the 3G, there were some places I think they turned it off to keep 2g/4g but that was rare. Most was just parked on a single channel in band 2. The problem and why it may seem they did turn off 3g is because they never fine tuned band 2. Sure, 1700 and 1900 are sorta close, but remember the uplink and downlink for 1700 is a 400MHz differences. Tuning the 1900 band with the more normal sub-100MHz spacing requires different tactics. So, I've taken my phone of LTE and basically had the underlying 3G network mimic it for the most part - just really weird super specific dead zones. Like downtown on 3G only, I turn this one corner and NO SIGNAL. Walk back or down the street 50 more feet and it's back fine. So if you walk or drive that turn, you're going to lost the call.

Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have seen 2g Edge B2 and 3g Umts B2 pop up while traveling through rural northeast Texas
    Along highway 154 (Diana Texas) area

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Despite my avatar I am using ST TMO sim Sam s9plus

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    People will not buy a device just to accommodate a corporation wishes.
    Sure they will if the spectrum gets refarmed and their devices become paper weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    Sure they will if the spectrum gets refarmed and their devices become paper weights.
    Case in point, how many of us are still using analog phones?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    People can get really cheap VoLTE 'phones'. $3/month. Similarly, TDMA died off a while back. TMobile offers a service. In some markets, like Ventura County , GSM is gone, and UMTS is on AWS band. In some markets... It's LTE only or nothing in band 12 or 71

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app