Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BYOD phones still worth it?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I still prefer BYOD with Cricket cuz I'm still finding unlocked phones that hotspot right out of the box. Wifi calling and VOLTE aren't important to me cuz I seem to get good service and call quality wherever I go. I've got a couple friends on Verizon that had to turn off VOLTE on their phones because of bad call quality which I assume is do to areas of bad LTE coverage.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    I'm a bit of a noob, but I can do wifi calling from Google Voice. It was very useful to me while I was in Canada with a data-only SIM (non Cricket)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Though you are able to make a call on Wifi in this case, it isn't what is called Wi-Fi calling. Where you are using carrier supported calling, using/receiving calls with the phone number assigned to your phone.

Now, for many people, that might be a feature. Some people don't care about the actual phone number of the phone. They use the GV number for everything. They can switch carriers and not port, and still use the same number.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I'd second this - while Google Voice is great (along with the various other VoIP services), most of the discussions on here are concerned with the native Wi-Fi calling features where your Cricket-assigned number can be used over Wi-Fi.
    So funny thing about this- I actually *AM* Google Voice subscriber because I was experimenting with different carriers and budget plans and wasn't sure I wanted to trust them with my number. So I paid the $20 to port out to GVoice and have been using it to host my number ever since. I honestly have no idea what my real Cricket phone number currently is unless I go into my phone and check, and it has changed a couple of times too. I'd probably recognize it if I saw it.

But the problem with that is the usability as WiFi calling is just not there yet. It is good if I want it ONLY for Wifi calls, which doesn't work so well when I'm not home. For starters, Data streams (like a skype or Gvoice call) aren't given the same data switching priority as voice calls. For example, if I start the call at home while heading out to my car, instead of handing off the call to the GSM towers when I'm outside of WiFi range (which T-mobile does when I tried it), it will just drop the call. Same thing if I'm on the highway and handing off between two towers as I drive. Calls will just drop left and right. Then there's the times I'm driving through areas with weak LTE coverage- the data calls sound blocky and bad, but regular GSM voice calls are handled fine. If it only connected over WiFi networks that would be one thing, but when you set up GV to ring incoming calls over data, it will always prefer to use whatever data connection it can before reverting to voice. Even a weak 3G signal, which could have handled a voice call just fine.

The Google Voice app lets you choose between "prefer Wifi/Data" and "use carrier only". I wish data wasn't part of option one- as of now I have to remember to go into the app and turn on "carrier only" when I go out, or suffer through incoming calls that I can't hear (I'm constantly telling them I'll call them back in 30 seconds, it gets so bad sometimes). Or, if I set it to carrier only and then go work at home on my computer in the basement, I'll miss any incoming calls because there is no signal down there. Basically, it is *so close* to working, but sadly not there yet. I either need Google to make this work better or get a phone that handles VoWiFi from the carrier so that I can just leave GV on "carrier only". As it is now, I find it very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Root or bust!
    Heck ya! I love that I can root and run customs on my phone. But I'd give that up for a solid experience if I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    I don't bother with benchmark test. I go off functionally.
    I ask. Why do you get to decide what I think is an important feature.
    I don't, you're the one who chimed in about "The Motorola you bought was never a nice phone so not hard to believe her LG gets better signal". That's what set this whole tangent in motion. You could throw all the bells and whistles you want into a phone and still have a crappy experience. It just so happens that this Moto is a surprisingly great user experience in a handset, it is buttery smooth, fantastic battery life, capable of images that sit side-by-side on my wall with ones from my $3k DSLR... This model happens to be somewhat iconic, and far better than my wife's LG in literally EVERYTHING, aside from the ability to hand a call off and to WiFi when the signal gets bad. That's the ONLY thing it does better, and it is absolutely NOT because it is a crappy phone. It is ONLY because it is not carrier branded to work with VoWiFi.
    I know this conversation had nothing to do with the topic I started, but I felt the need to set the record straight. I've used "not nice" phones. My Wife's LG is only a semi-decent phone. There are plenty of low end handsets on Cricket with really abysmal user experiences, which is why I went elsewhere.

You've never had a charging port go out?
    On an older HTC phone, and 2 samsungs actually. The Sammys still had removable batteries so I just charged it with an external charger and swapped between 3 batteries. Never any down time charging, just swap and keep going. I miss those days- if we are talking about features that are important to us, I'd say I wish I could still get a removable battery. But I've accepted that this isn't the trend anymore and likely won't be again in higher end models.
    Otherwise, maybe I've been lucky? My cables break sooner than my charging port does. I think they make them pretty robust now.

Big fan of the waterproof rating too. The better gorilla glass. The community support.
    Some Motos don't have those and some do. The G series usually do. And the one I have in particular had a HUGE community following. We got Pie roms within weeks of it released, and the Google Cam port with chromatix libs from the Pixel 2 (since we share a sensor) came before a lot of more popular handsets had the kinks worked out. It's starting to die out now that it is in its 3rd year of life, but you have to understand the things you are talking about aren't necessarily exclusive to Sammys.

The resale value. All these are great features to me. I'll the phone the S9+ is replacing for the same as I paid. Free upgrades if you know how to buy and sell correctly. That'll never happen with other manufacturers. My flagship HTC never resold for crap.
    See, this is an argument I understand, but would still argue. I have this with Mac users all the time who claim the resale value of a used Mac is exponentially better than a PC. That's true. But I also pay pennies on the dollar for my PC compared to a Mac for the same specs. My Moto was under $200 brand new when I got it (holiday sale). My Nextbit Robin before that was $135 (another special sale). I paid for these what some more expensive phones cost in depreciation after 2-3 years. They have great user experiences, and I don't sweat it if it breaks or gets cracked or lost. Its actually liberating now not having something so expensive to replace, especially when you got a bunch of kids like I do. I could replace my phone a few times in cash before having spent as much as one flagship phone!

...but anyway, I didn't mean to come here to talk about what phone brands are better, and absolutely didn't intend for this to become some sort of education thing about why certain Motos are awesome, but this has been a fun discussion nonetheless, and I definitely learned alot! So thank you!
    The carrier chameleon thing alone makes Samsung top of my list now actually. I'm going to look out for an S8 or S9 when they hit my price range in the future. But not for the bells and whistles, but because it might be one of the few options that actually does what I want and doesn't suck at the experience!
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Ok, a back-on-topic related Q:

If I were to get something like an S8 because it would work with WiFi calling on the carrier, would those features still work on a custom rom? Or would it only function if I stick to stock carrier branding? Not sure if it is a provisioning thing on their end, something enabled in the phone's firmware, or a combination of the two.
    I forgot how much I dislike Samsung's custom tweaked UI, after years of being spoiled by Nexus phones and running "vanilla" stock AOSP roms, I'm not sure I could go back to the heavy customization that came with things like Touchwiz ::shudder::

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    Ok, a back-on-topic related Q:

If I were to get something like an S8 because it would work with WiFi calling on the carrier, would those features still work on a custom rom? Or would it only function if I stick to stock carrier branding? Not sure if it is a provisioning thing on their end, something enabled in the phone's firmware, or a combination of the two.
    I forgot how much I dislike Samsung's custom tweaked UI, after years of being spoiled by Nexus phones and running "vanilla" stock AOSP roms, I'm not sure I could go back to the heavy customization that came with things like Touchwiz ::shudder::
    Touchwiz is lung gone, but you knew that. The is no custom ROM. Period. You'd need Exynos chip. Snapdragons aren't getting unlocked and likely won't be again.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Touchwiz is lung gone, but you knew that. The is no custom ROM. Period. You'd need Exynos chip. Snapdragons aren't getting unlocked and likely won't be again.
    Poop. I remember hearing about that with the S7 exynos vs SD, but didn't know it was still a thing. That does suck.

Thanks for all the good info, you've given me a lot to think about.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It stops being AT&T branded as soon as your SIM goes in. I thought you were following me here.

I'm not trying to jock Samsung here, but Motorola and LG aren't something people are lining up for. They're something that gets sold as almost as good when someone can't or won't pony up for Samsung or Apple.
    Are you 12 years old or something? lol. You fanboys are hilarious. It's like you're overcompensating for something. I wont hazard a guess as to what that may be....but come on, your opinion is, to say the least, naive. If you honestly think everyone secretly longs for an S9 or iPhone, you're incredibly impressionable and obviously transparently envious of others.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sampoot View Post
    Are you 12 years old or something? lol. You fanboys are hilarious. It's like you're overcompensating for something. I wont hazard a guess as to what that may be....but come on, your opinion is, to say the least, naive. If you honestly think everyone secretly longs for an S9 or iPhone, you're incredibly impressionable and obviously transparently envious of others.
    I'm positive people covet cell phones. Preorders and lines in front of the Apple store are a thing for a reason. I doubt too many are envious of an S9. It was last year's low end flagship. Hardly an upgrade from the S8 line or Note 8. S10+, now that's a keeper.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sampoot View Post
    Exactly. People don't have to line up for other phones. There are so many out there that there are choices. Those people don't care about the big celebrations and the long lines to be the first to hold latest and greatest new iPhone that really is not much different than the last one. These people just want a phone and there's so many ways to get that without having to stand in line.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2