Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hangouts no longer free to call Canadian or U.S. telephone numbers from abroad

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Foreign SIM
    Thank you! So that matches what I described above and verifies that nothing has changed with using GV+Hangouts abroad, as far as I can tell from this conversation.

So, hoktrillian's statement in the title of this thread is hopefully/probably wrong, and something else was going on that prevented free calls with GV+Hangouts back to the US from abroad.

In any event, I think the takeaway is, if you can't get free GV+Hangouts calls back to the US/Canada to work while outside of the US/Canada, try dialing again using the "+1" or "001" prefix!

Feedback Score
    IMO, it’s much easier to remember to add “+<country code>” to a phone number than to know/remember the exit code a country uses. Exit codes are not the same in all countries. It’s usually 00 but sometimes 011, 0011, or some other combination.

https://www.howtocallabroad.com/codes.html

I’ve always entered phone numbers in my contacts using the international format “+<country code>” so it doesn’t matter in which country I’m currently in or what app (GV/mobile VOIP, onesuite) I’m using.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the good info, Maru! I've saved https://www.howtocallabroad.com/codes.html for future reference.

Feedback Score
    Even when in other countries and calling local numbers (e.g., in New Zealand calling NZ miners), having phone numbers saved in a mobile phone’s Contacts with the + sign and country code makes it so much easier. I don’t have to remember that their numbers have to be dialed with a 0 prefix. It’s the same in the UK and many other countries (I.e., having to add 0 prefix when calling local).

The rules, in other countries, may be vastly different when calling from a landline.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    https://support.google.com/hangouts/...id&hl=en&oco=2 has a link to "Learn where Hangouts calling isn’t available", which leads to https://support.google.com/hangouts/...5646?#dont_see :
    ---------------
    Countries where calling in Hangouts and Gmail is not available
    •Argentina
    •China
    •Cuba
    •Egypt
    •Ghana
    •India (Users in India can make calls to all countries except to locations within India.)
    •Iran
    •Jordan
    •Kenya
    •Mexico
    •Morocco
    •Myanmar
    •Nigeria
    •North Korea
    •Peru
    •Russian Federation
    •Saudi Arabia
    •Senegal
    •South Korea
    •Sudan
    •Syria
    •Thailand
    •United Arab Emirates
    •Vietnam
    ---------------

I'm surprised to see Mexico on that list, which makes me wonder if it's correct or not, since I've heard nothing about Hangouts not working in Mexico, and since https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Peninsula.html seems to indicate that Hangouts DOES work in Mexico.

In any event, Greece is NOT on the above list.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    GV most definitely works via WiFi in MX, did it earlier this year.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    GV most definitely works via WiFi in MX, did it earlier this year.
    Yeah, that's what I thought. since I'd seen no reports to the contrary, despite what the Google info I linked above says.

Thanks for confirming that Hangouts DOES work in Mexico.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    In 2017 and earlier, I routinely paid for calls from Hangouts back to North America. Last year, with the GV wi-fi calling beta, I did not have to pay for such calls.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by batcave View Post
    In 2017 and earlier, I routinely paid for calls from Hangouts back to North America. Last year, with the GV wi-fi calling beta, I did not have to pay for such calls.
    I did NOT have to pay anything for calls to the US or Canada using my GV # via Hangouts while in Europe, starting back in 2016, or during any more recent trips.

Did you figure out why you had to pay? Did you have a foreign SIM card in your phone? Were you dialing using 001 or +1 as described above?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2