Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hangouts no longer free to call Canadian or U.S. telephone numbers from abroad

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus, Moto X4
    Carrier(s)
    SafeLink(T-Mobile), FreedomPop(AT&T and Sprint), Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Thumbs down Hangouts no longer free to call Canadian or U.S. telephone numbers from abroad

I am not certain when the change was made, but believe it was made during fourth quarter of 2018 or first quarter of 2019. Google Voice or Hangouts calls to telephone numbers in Canada and United States were almost always free of charge, no matter where you were located, if you just traveled outside of United States.

This apparently has been changed. Once user leaves the United States, calls to neither Canada nor United States telephone number is free of charge. In other words, only calls initiated within United States to Canada or United States telephone numbers still is free of charge now.

I have resorted to TextNow because of this change. Actually, TextNow offers wider area of free calling that includes entire north America and western Europe. Moreover, as long as you have good Internet connection, no matter where are you located, it will work fine and free of charge for entire north America and western Europe. Only con is no port in telephone number for the free app, and it is supported by advertisement.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You sure about that? I was in India a few weeks back (late March/Early April) and used Google Voice WiFi calling to make literally hours of calls back to the US and it didn't cost me a cent.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, using Hangouts, do not have Google Voice app installed on Android, in Greece, calling United States telephone numbers, got asked for recharging, left United States on Tuesday, April 23th, 2019.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    Yes, using Hangouts, do not have Google Voice app installed on Android, in Greece, calling United States telephone numbers, got asked for recharging, left United States on Tuesday, April 23th, 2019.
    Are you sure you were dialing properly? There have been no other reports similar to yours that I've seen. Hangouts and the GV app use the same back end, so if it worked for kencrudup using the GV app, it should have worked for you using Hangouts.

What was your source of mobile data? If you had a foreign SIM in your phone, even if/when using WiFi data, you needed to dial +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx or 001-xxx-xxx-xxxx to dial out successfully for free with Hangouts.

kencrudup, did you use a foreign SIM for data at all, and if yes, did you have to dial using the above format when you called out using the GV app? If you used only WiFi data, and with no foreign SIM in your phone, then my question isn't relevant.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Using SIM from Google Fi as well as Wi-Fi from hotels, restaurants or museums.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    Using SIM from Google Fi as well as Wi-Fi from hotels, restaurants or museums.
    Then I'm not sure what to think, especially without similar reports from other users.

When I was in Europe last year, I was able to place calls to the US and Canada for free over either WiFi or cellular data using Hangouts.

But I'll definitely keep watch for any other Hangouts users reporting the same thing as you experienced.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It was working fine last October from Spain and Portugal.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    hoktrillian, I'm sorry you had this issue on your recent trip, but until/unless there are several more similar reports, I speculate that there was some issue unique to your device and/or situation that caused Hangouts not to work for free calls to the US/Canada from abroad.

If you can think of any other useful info to share about what happened, please do that.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No idea what he's talking about but its working fine from Canada to USA....I just used the hangouts app on my iPhone with my long term GV #, and it works perfect as it has always for the past 6+ years.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Koodo: $40/8GB w/ 1000 International Minutes
    Telus: $60/15GB+1GB Bonus Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    No idea what he's talking about but its working fine from Canada to USA....I just used the hangouts app on my iPhone with my long term GV #, and it works perfect as it has always for the past 6+ years.
    I think the issue hoktrillian had was using Hangouts to call from somewhere else outside the US or Canada TO either the US or Canada, but it's still good to know Hangouts calls are currently working from Canada to a US #.

By the way, are either the "Koodo: $40/8GB w/ 1000 International Minutes" or "Telus: $60/15GB+1GB Bonus Can-US Plan" you have still available for new signups? Thanks in advance for any info regarding those Canadian plans!

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I think the issue hoktrillian had was using Hangouts to call from somewhere else outside the US or Canada TO either the US or Canada, but it's still good to know Hangouts calls are currently working from Canada to a US #.

By the way, are either the "Koodo: $40/8GB w/ 1000 International Minutes" or "Telus: $60/15GB+1GB Bonus Can-US Plan" you have still available for new signups? Thanks in advance for any info regarding those Canadian plans!
    Hey no, unfortunately. You are better off checking redtagdeals forum for deals such as $45/8GB and all, as for 1000 bonus minutes, simply when you find a plan, activate at a retailer like Walmart and request the 1000 bonus international minutes, usually on plans >$40 they will give it for free.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    Hey no, unfortunately. You are better off checking redtagdeals forum for deals such as $45/8GB and all, as for 1000 bonus minutes, simply when you find a plan, activate at a retailer like Walmart and request the 1000 bonus international minutes, usually on plans >$40 they will give it for free.
    Okay. Thanks for your reply.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Hangouts no longer free to call Canadian or U.S. telephone numbers from abroad

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Are you sure you were dialing properly? There have been no other reports similar to yours that I've seen. Hangouts and the GV app use the same back end, so if it worked for kencrudup using the GV app, it should have worked for you using Hangouts.

What was your source of mobile data? If you had a foreign SIM in your phone, even if/when using WiFi data, you needed to dial +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx or 001-xxx-xxx-xxxx to dial out successfully for free with Hangouts.

kencrudup, did you use a foreign SIM for data at all, and if yes, did you have to dial using the above format when you called out using the GV app? If you used only WiFi data, and with no foreign SIM in your phone, then my question isn't relevant.
    This is correct. Sis-in-law is traveling outside US this April/May. I told her to get a GV number so she can call her office. On WiFi, she tried to call out with GV but couldn’t. I asked, do you have +1 before the area code? She didn’t. Once she added the +1, it worked.

SIL had never had to call or text international numbers when in the US. So, that “+(country code)” format had never been important to her, until now. Most (probably all) of the phone numbers she has in her Contacts begin with the area code straightaway.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    This is correct. Sis-in-law is traveling outside US this April/May. I told her to get a GV number so she can call her office. On WiFi, she tried to call out with GV but couldn’t. I asked, do you have +1 before the area code? She didn’t. Once she added the +1, it worked.

SIL had never had to call or text international numbers when in the US. So, that “+(country code)” format had never been important to her, until now. Most (probably all) of the phone numbers she has in her Contacts begin with the area code straightaway.
    Thanks for confirming GV+Hangouts calls from outside the US/Canada still work for calling back to the US/Canada.

Just to clarify, did your sister-in-law have a US SIM in her phone when she called back to the US using GV+Hangouts while connected to WiFi, or was it a foreign SIM?

The reason I'm asking is because when I have a FP Global SIM in my phone, even when connected to WiFi, I have to dial using the "+1" or "001" prefix to call a US or Canadian phone # for free. But when I put a US SIM card back in, I no longer need to add "+1" or "001".

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Foreign SIM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast