Thread: How is international roaming data?

Feedback Score

How is international roaming data?

Hello, I plan on going to China next month for three weeks. It seems like Fi has international roaming. I may port over for the trip. I have a few questions about it though.

Is international roaming different due to Fi's active switching? I am asking because I know that in the US, Fi switches between both sprint and t-mobile. Does this have any affect on roaming outside the US? T-mobile and Sprint should have differing international roaming agreements. I have a moto g5 plus and it does not support Fi's switch and thus I would be stuck on T-mobile only. Or does Fi roam using mostly T-mobile or Sprint? I know that when you roam you aren't actually on the t-mobile or sprint. I would most likely be on China telecom or China Unicom.

Does any of this actually matter? What are speeds like on Fi International roaming? Big 4 international plans tend to throttle to 2G speeds.

I do need roaming due to work. I am going on vacation but I need to be reachable on my normal number thus a local sim is no preferred.

Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Google's Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    The international roaming is done on the same agreement as T-Mobile. The Sprint business doesn't come into play.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    From what I'm seeing, you will be using China Unicom's network while in China. Reviews say that you will get LTE speeds while in China as well. I would say to double check with Fi that you will be able to make and receive calls to US numbers while in China, and if there is a fee for doing so. If there is, have people call you via apps like WeChat or Kakao. Texting should be fine as well.

Here is a link to an article on using Fi in China: https://www.androidauthority.com/usi...-china-850456/

Keep in mind that if you are trying to use Fi on a different phone other that what you have now, it will work best with an Android phone, not an iPhone. Please be sure to give us a review when you get back.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 (G9730), Sony Xperia XZ2, Lumia 950 XL (Red Pocket)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Google Fi (2nd SIM slot)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
    The international roaming is done on the same agreement as T-Mobile. The Sprint business doesn't come into play.
    I'm not sure that's entirely true. I was on a trip recently in Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar with a post-paid T-mobile phone and one with Google-Fi, the data connection speeds (i.e. 2G/3G/LTE indicators) were often different. Usually with the Google-Fi being faster. Unfortunately they weren't the same brand/model of phone to be a true test. I think the int'l roaming agreements aren't exactly the same.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phelme View Post
    I'm not sure that's entirely true. I was on a trip recently in Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar with a post-paid T-mobile phone and one with Google-Fi, the data connection speeds (i.e. 2G/3G/LTE indicators) were often different. Usually with the Google-Fi being faster. Unfortunately they weren't the same brand/model of phone to be a true test. I think the int'l roaming agreements aren't exactly the same.
    Remember that "3" is one of the networks that Fi can use.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I'm currently using Fi in South Korea. I would say that the pings I'm getting are high, around 300-400 pings per speed test, but the speeds are averaging 10+ Mbps each time. There's been a few times where I've hit 30+ Mbps. I want to test the speed more on the subway system as well to see how consistent the speeds are there. With the T-Mobile's plan offering 2G speeds unless you are willing to pay for more for 3G speeds, I'm happy with how Fi has preformed up to this point.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 (G9730), Sony Xperia XZ2, Lumia 950 XL (Red Pocket)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Google Fi (2nd SIM slot)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    ...I'm happy with how Fi has preformed up to this point.
    The only real downsides of Google Fi are, it's an MVNO and doesn't get the same tower priority as (post paid) T-Mobile. And if you need customer support from Fi it's kind of a crap shoot. If you use a true Google Fi compatible phone there are other pluses of course, like access to 3 networks domestically (as was mentioned) and WiFi calling.

Wished I like Pixels better but I can't get beyond their, uh, design.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    It will be interesting to see how T-Mobile reacts since they have said they will be "very MVNO friendly" after the merger. I'm guessing this is why the unlimited plan is in existence at this point. The price per gig is still very high and a major turnoff for many. But the ability to have higher priority internationally than what a regular T-Mobile customer has is a major plus.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, 3 & 3a; Moto X4, 6 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Read a post not long ago that Google Fi was getting faster international speeds than a phone on T-Mobile’s plan.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Read a post not long ago that Google Fi was getting faster international speeds than a phone on T-Mobile’s plan.
    I can confirm that. The T-Mobile plan will give you 2G speeds, and you can get 3G if you pay extra. This morning with Fi, I did speed test while underground in a subway station and while riding on a subway outside of Seoul. I got 100+ Mbps down on both test. Outside of renting a sim card from a local carrier, I don't know of any service in the U.S. that can come close to offering this kind of speed internationally.