Thread: Help me pick a better antenna, Omni or MIMO panel for long range verizon connection

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Help me pick a better antenna, Omni or MIMO panel for long range verizon connection

I need help reading/understanding antenna graphs and picking an antenna to try and get a better connection.

I'm trying to get faster speeds on a long-range verizon link. I currently have some success with a Wilson Omni 311203. Once or twice a week with very careful antenna positioning moving 1/4" at a time, I have been able to get an LTE-A signal, but often have less consistent speeds. I get faster speeds with a small router paddle antenna connected, but more consistent connection with the omni; currently running with one paddle and one omni which I don't think is ideal but with what I have on hand, it gets me better speeds while not dropping.

Looking at the following two spec sheets, would there possibly be anything about this MIMO panel antenna that would be better for me than a pair of these larger OMNI antennas:

Proxicast 4G / LTE Cross-Polarized (MIMO) 7-10 dBi High-Gain Fixed-Mount Panel Antenna
    10 dBi cross-polarized 75 degree directional beamwidth MIMO design increases signal strength and data speeds for remote sites with poor cellular signal coverage
    Frequency: 698-960/1710-2700 MHz
    Impedance: 50 ohms
    Gain: 7 / 10 dBi freq. dependent
    Beam Width: Horiz. 70/75 deg
    Beam Width: Vert. 75/60 deg
    Polarization: Vertical + Horizontal
    VSWR: ADGP <1.8:1
    Max Input Power: 50W
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBSLNJ6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Specification Sheet https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1ktd1R2J8L.pdf

Proxicast 10 dBi 3G / 4G / LTE High Gain Omni-Directional Fixed Mount Outdoor Fiberglass Antenna for Verizon, AT&T, Sprint
    Frequency Range: 698 - 2700 MHz
    Gain: 10 dBi
    Radiation: Omni
    Polarization: Vertical
    Connector: N Female - bottom integrated
    Material: Fiberglass & Stainless Steel - White UV stable poly-urethane coating
    Height: 23.6 inches (600 mm)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074YWTCB1...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Specification Sheet https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1mjcVdbdvL.pdf

Current Wilson Omni 311203 specs:
    up to +5.1 dB gain.
    700-800 MHz: 3.2 dB;
    824-894 MHz: 4.1 dB;
    880-960 MHz: 2.7 dB;
    1710-1880 MHz: 0.6 dB;
    1850-1990 MHz: 5.1 dB;
    2110-2170 MHz: -7.5 dB

Current connection with small router paddles and with wilson omni(s). I get faster speeds sometimes with the small router paddle antennas, but having at least one wilson omni in place of a paddle antenna helps keep me connected without drops.

Verizon
    RSSI -73
    SNR 0
    RSRP -117
    RSRQ -14
    Main: Pepwave paddle
    Aux: Wilson Omni
    LTE Band 13 (700 MHz)
    Ping: 70 ms
    Download: 4.64 mbps
    Upload 5.50 mbps

Verizon
    RSSI -77
    SNR 6
    RSRP -110
    RSRQ -17
    Main: Wilson Omni
    Aux: Pepwave paddle
    Ping: 49 ms
    Download: 1.77 mbps
    Upload 3.13 mbps

Verizon
    RSSI -76
    SNR 5
    RSRP -111
    RSRQ -14
    Main: Pepwave paddle
    Aux: Pepwave paddle
    Ping: 63 ms
    Download: 1.39 mbps
    Upload 7.08 mbps

Verizon
    RSSI -74
    SNR 2
    RSRP -108
    RSRQ -14
    Main: Cradlepoint paddle
    Aux: Cradlepoint paddle
    Download: 3.55 mbps
    Upload 5.78 mbps

Verizon
    RSSI -74
    SNR 1
    RSRP -103
    RSRQ -14
    Main: Wilson Omni
    Aux: Wilson Omni
    Download: 1.93 mbps
    Upload 6.67 mbps
    Thanks very much for your time and any thoughts or recommendations.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    would a network extender work any better ?? - https://www.verizonwireless.com/home...ork-extenders/

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks but no that won't work for me. I'm hoping to get an LTE connection to augment the landline this summer which has had some issues. The landline here is 3.5x to 7.5x slower than the above tests for upload speed

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What general area are you looking to improve your 4G connection?? I'm guessing the west/northwest side of Michigan??

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yes, northwest side of Michigan
    (towers along the coast from Northport to Charlevoix to Cross Village)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hmmm, well I have an old version of a Proxicast directional antenna from a few years ago, and .... enough said.

I can personally vouch for the Poynting XPOL-2 antenna available for purchase in the US from FrontierComputerCorp (sorry can't post links): the complete model number is Poynting XPOL-2.v2 LTE & WiFi 2x2 MiMo (SKU A-XPOL-0002-V2).

The antenna is imported. Check out the videos on Youtube by the Poynting CEO, Andre Fourie. You'll learn a lot. Poynting antennas are very popular across Europe and Australia. I've been wanting one for years and finally Frontier has made them available in the USA.

I have the antenna connected to two Wilson WeBoost boosters similar to their WeBoost Drive 4G-M which retails around $370. But I purchased the WeBoost devices a few years ago from Wilson for $250 each, so they've gone up in price, and you'd also have to purchase AC power adapter. I do notice a significant difference with / without the boosters. They work.

The above connects to a Sierra Wireless EM7565 which then connects to a wireless router -- all hacked together. I think you already have a router, but if not, then you could buy something like a Cradlepoint ARC CBA850 (though I think it is still using the Sierra Wireless EM7455).

I'm in a mountainous area with only a single Verizon tower a few miles away -- no other source for internet apart from satellite. Although I can't see the tower, I know where it is, so have the antenna pointed towards is. The Poynting antenna is a directional antenna so you have to be a bit careful in pointing it, but I haven't had any problems. It works great.

Hope this helps...

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Jetpack 7730L
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmec View Post
    I can personally vouch for the Poynting XPOL-2 antenna...
    I just bought a Wilson/Weboost directional antenna (#314411) that I want to use with my Weboost Drive Sleek in an RV. It has been recommended by other RVers.

jmmec - do you know this Wilson antenna and have any knowledge how it performs compared to the Poyting antenna?

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Michigan View Post
    I need help reading/understanding antenna graphs and picking an antenna to try and get a better connection.

I'm trying to get faster speeds on a long-range verizon link. I currently have some success with a Wilson Omni 311203. Once or twice a week with very careful antenna positioning moving 1/4" at a time, I have been able to get an LTE-A signal, but often have less consistent speeds. I get faster speeds with a small router paddle antenna connected, but more consistent connection with the omni; currently running with one paddle and one omni which I don't think is ideal but with what I have on hand, it gets me better speeds while not dropping.

Looking at the following two spec sheets, would there possibly be anything about this MIMO panel antenna that would be better for me than a pair of these larger OMNI antennas:

Proxicast 4G / LTE Cross-Polarized (MIMO) 7-10 dBi High-Gain Fixed-Mount Panel Antenna
    10 dBi cross-polarized 75 degree directional beamwidth MIMO design increases signal strength and data speeds for remote sites with poor cellular signal coverage
    Frequency: 698-960/1710-2700 MHz
    Gain: 7 / 10 dBi freq. dependent
    Beam Width: Horiz. 70/75 deg
    Beam Width: Vert. 75/60 deg
    Polarization: Vertical + Horizontal
    VSWR: ADGP <1.8:1
    Max Input Power: 50W
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBSLNJ6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Specification Sheet https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1ktd1R2J8L.pdf

Proxicast 10 dBi 3G / 4G / LTE High Gain Omni-Directional Fixed Mount Outdoor Fiberglass Antenna for Verizon, AT&T, Sprint
    Frequency Range: 698 - 2700 MHz
    Gain: 10 dBi
    Radiation: Omni
    Polarization: Vertical
    Connector: N Female - bottom integrated
    Material: Fiberglass & Stainless Steel - White UV stable poly-urethane coating
    Height: 23.6 inches (600 mm)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074YWTCB1...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Specification Sheet https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1mjcVdbdvL.pdf

Current Wilson Omni 311203 specs:

Current connection with small router paddles and with wilson omni(s). I get faster speeds sometimes with the small router paddle antennas, but having at least one wilson omni in place of a paddle antenna helps keep me connected without drops.

Thanks very much for your time and any thoughts or recommendations.
    I think you are a bit confused. Omni and Mimo are different things. You probably do not want an Omni but could benefit from a directional Mimo.

You have to survey things. Where is the tower? Can you get a clear LoS to the tower with a directional antenna? What bands have what signals and subsequently what speeds? Have you tested during both peak and off-peak times when the tower may be loaded/congested? If you had to, can your device lock onto specific bands that it might not auto-select?

What type of antenna wire are you using? How long? What is the loss? Shorter the better and high quality thicker wire like LMR-400 the better. Locate the device closer to the antenna.

I'd also consider proper grounding / lightening protection if you have something outside especially above your roof line (which you may need to get clear LoS to the cell tower).

You have some homework to do!

PS. 5gstore has good info on their website and they tend to be very helpful.
    PPS. I am hoping to test a Poynting product in the next week or two. I have heard from a couple folks that they are happy with their products albeit it they are not widely available and must be imported or bought from someone that imports them.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    I think you are a bit confused. Omni and Mimo are different things. You probably do not want an Omni but could benefit from a directional Mimo.
    Yes, lots to learn. LTE is still a bit of "magic" to me.

I was trying to decide between the OMNI antenna (thinking of getting a pair of them) above or the "MIMO Panel" antenna above.

The towers I have a line of sight to are 25 miles from my location over water. There is a "local" tower closer 6.5 miles through trees in the opposite direction. Have not had much success or consistency with older wilson yagi and have never gotten a signal pointing it at the "local" tower through the trees. Pointing it 25 miles across the water I couldn't hold it over multiple days. Not sure if the tower I'm connected to is always the same or even if I'm getting some kind of bounced signal or atmospheric oddity. Will have to do much more testing, but there are so many variables that trying to get the yagi to work I'd use all my data trying to get it aligned! So I went back to the omni. The opensignal app often shows signal coming from where there could be no tower (in the water). Have had some success with a wilson omni antenna and last summer was able to almost always have a signal with it but trying for better speed. Currently connected via 5 ft. LMR-400 cable. Tried antenna higher on 16' pole with 25 ft LMR-400, and standing on roof with short cable, but signal was no better than at deck level (actually worse, oddly, even standing on the roof with short cable). I do have the option to lock my device to specific bands but haven't used this option yet. (I've been testing with a metered data postpaid plan that isn't deprioritized.)
    Last edited by Lake Michigan; 05-01-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    By the upload speeds you posted, I personally don't think you'll get much better than what you're seeing now. B13 has become congested in northern Michigan and B5 is only 5 MHz. Also, 10MHz is the widest channel Verizon can deploy on any LTE band up in that area.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmec View Post
    Hmmm, well I have an old version of a Proxicast directional antenna from a few years ago, and .... enough said.

I can personally vouch for the Poynting XPOL-2 antenna available for purchase in the US from FrontierComputerCorp (sorry can't post links): the complete model number is Poynting XPOL-2.v2 LTE & WiFi 2x2 MiMo (SKU A-XPOL-0002-V2).

The antenna is imported. Check out the videos on Youtube by the Poynting CEO, Andre Fourie. You'll learn a lot. Poynting antennas are very popular across Europe and Australia. I've been wanting one for years and finally Frontier has made them available in the USA.

I have the antenna connected to two Wilson WeBoost boosters similar to their WeBoost Drive 4G-M which retails around $370. But I purchased the WeBoost devices a few years ago from Wilson for $250 each, so they've gone up in price, and you'd also have to purchase AC power adapter. I do notice a significant difference with / without the boosters. They work.

The above connects to a Sierra Wireless EM7565 which then connects to a wireless router -- all hacked together. I think you already have a router, but if not, then you could buy something like a Cradlepoint ARC CBA850 (though I think it is still using the Sierra Wireless EM7455).

I'm in a mountainous area with only a single Verizon tower a few miles away -- no other source for internet apart from satellite. Although I can't see the tower, I know where it is, so have the antenna pointed towards is. The Poynting antenna is a directional antenna so you have to be a bit careful in pointing it, but I haven't had any problems. It works great.

Hope this helps...

What he said, with this antenna I get solid Band 4 and some really really good speeds (for where I am anyways)...

Edit: Let me clarify a bit, I get Band 4 from about 3 miles away, with a 100ish Db and 14ish SNR, without the antenna, I could only get Band 13 inside the home, and if I stood in a particular place outside, held my phone up, I might get Band 4 for a few seconds...

The antenna is well worth the money.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Michigan View Post
    Yes, northwest side of Michigan
    (towers along the coast from Northport to Charlevoix to Cross Village)
    Yeah, small tower ranges, B13 with 10MHz bandwidth and sometimes B5. At least they upgraded to LTE-A. Probably you won't get much better data speeds.
    There isn't any band 4/66 there.
    See mapping done by others with Cellmapper:

https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=3...orColours=true