Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2019 Truphone thread 2019

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    I think Truphone would work good for me. I like the free incoming calls and texts, and NO expiration. Let’s see if I’ve got this right though. It’s not going to be 4G LTE, but 3G? And it should function through 2022 when AT&T shuts down 3G? I don’t use data anyway (except on WiFi) so that won’t even figure in the mix.
    Truphone gets LTE data, usually from AT&T in the US. There was a time, a few years ago, that it was limited to 3G.

No word yet on what will happen to 3G voice on Truphone when AT&T shuts that down in a couple of years. Most AT&T MVNOs don't have VoLTE yet either. I'm not going to worry about what might happen in two years yet.

Feedback Score

2019 Truphone thread 2019

I have a Sprint iPhone 4s that I was using before with Tello. I had Tello do an international device unlock back in Sep 2019. The old phone works with international SIM cards while in the USA but it didn’t work with a TruPhone SIM card (shows SIM card not supported) while in the USA. The TruPhone SIM card worked in another iPhone 4s (non-Sprint), connecting to AT&T.

When I took a trip to Canada this month, I brought the unlocked Sprint iPhone 4s to test. It worked with the TruPhone SIM card connecting to Bell and then Rogers.

Surprisingly, once I was back in the US, the TruPhone SIM card + unlocked Sprint iPhone 4s still worked connecting to T-mobile.

Then, the phone went dead (ran out of battery charge). After charging and restarting though, the Sprint iPhone 4s didn’t work again with The TruPhone SIM card - same message as before “SIM card not supported”.

How do you explain that - i.e., worked as it transitioned from Canada to the US but not after restarting?

——-
    EDIT
    Never mind. I think I understand after reading the long “SIM not supported” description on the phone.

The phone (with the TruPhone SIM) was activated in Canada. The phone was kept on during transit from Canada to the US so the phone was still “activated”. After turning off (dead battery), turning it back on required activation again which it can’t do while in the US because the TruPhone SIM card is seen as a local (AT&T) SIM card.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    I have a Sprint iPhone 4s that I was using before with Tello. I had Tello do an international device unlock back in Sep 2019. The old phone works with international SIM cards while in the USA but it didn’t work with a TruPhone SIM card (shows SIM card not supported) while in the USA. The TruPhone SIM card worked in another iPhone 4s (non-Sprint), connecting to AT&T.

When I took a trip to Canada this month, I brought the unlocked Sprint iPhone 4s to test. It worked with the TruPhone SIM card connecting to Bell and then Rogers.

Surprisingly, once I was back in the US, the TruPhone SIM card + unlocked Sprint iPhone 4s still worked connecting to T-mobile.

Then, the phone went dead (ran out of battery charge). After charging and restarting though, the Sprint iPhone 4s didn’t work again with The TruPhone SIM card - same message as before “SIM card not supported”.

How do you explain that - i.e., worked as it transitioned from Canada to the US but not after restarting?

——-
    EDIT
    Never mind. I think I understand after reading the long “SIM not supported” description on the phone.

The phone (with the TruPhone SIM) was activated in Canada. The phone was kept on during transit from Canada to the US so the phone was still “activated”. After turning off (dead battery), turning it back on required activation again which it can’t do while in the US because the TruPhone SIM card is seen as a local (AT&T) SIM card.
    all older model sprint iPhones that had previously been unlocked for international only have been unlocked for US as well, nothing specifically related to truphone. i believe that all sprint iphone 4s and 5 if they were already unlocked for international are now unlocked for US as well via pushed update.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    all older model sprint iPhones that had previously been unlocked for international only have been unlocked for US as well, nothing specifically related to truphone. i believe that all sprint iphone 4s and 5 if they were already unlocked for international are now unlocked for US as well via pushed update.
    Not true for my Sprint iPhone 4s. AT&T and TruPhone SIM cards didn’t work (phone says SIM not supported) while in the US but worked when in Canada.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Unless someone objects, I'd like to start a TruPhone 2020 thread now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Go for it!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    Go for it!
    It was already done. See: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ne-2020-thread

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3