Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Truphone thread 2019

Feedback Score
    What's the default SIM PIN of the Truphone SIM card?

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    What's the default SIM PIN of the Truphone SIM card?
    I don't recall that I ever had a SIM PIN with my Truphone SIM. The card that I took the SIM out of has a serial number, a PUK number and a SIM ID. Sometimes it's the last four digits of your phone number. You can call Truphone customer service by dialing 707.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I don't recall that I ever had a SIM PIN with my Truphone SIM. The card that I took the SIM out of has a serial number, a PUK number and a SIM ID. Sometimes it's the last four digits of your phone number. You can call Truphone customer service by dialing 707.
    Not all providers include the PINs on the cards. Turning on the SIM lock and changing the SIM PIN 1 is one of the first things I do whenever I get a new SIM card.

Thanks for that 707 reminder. I completely forgot. Very good customer service so far. I didn't have to wait at all. It just rang and immediately gave me the number options to press. I was immediately connected to the CS guy. Imagine that, customer service without the endless ringing and being put on hold.

For those who want to turn on their SIM locks (and/or change the SIM PIN), the default SIM PIN is 0000. I actually first tried 1111 before calling them because 1111 is the default SIM PIN of AT&T SIM cards.

Feedback Score
    I was just looking at ordering a SIM from Truphone, but it now appears that, while a U.K. number is included, it costs 5 pounds per month to get a U.S. number. When did this start?

From what I can tell by reviewing my existing account with Truphone, I was allowed to select a U.S. number as my primary number. I never chose to add a U.K. number (and I pay no monthly fee for my U.S. number).

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You need to order the SIM from the US variant of the website in order to choose a primary US number:

https://myaccount.truphone.com/en-US...stomizeProduct

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lineisbusy View Post
    I was just looking at ordering a SIM from Truphone, but it now appears that, while a U.K. number is included, it costs 5 pounds per month to get a U.S. number. When did this start?

From what I can tell by reviewing my existing account with Truphone, I was allowed to select a U.S. number as my primary number. I never chose to add a U.K. number (and I pay no monthly fee for my U.S. number).
    If you're on the US website (which means you intend to get a US number), there's no monthly charge for the US number but there is an $8 monthly charge if you include a UK number.

If you're on the UK website, there's no monthly charge for the UK number but there's a £5 monthly charge for a US number.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ... there's a £5 monthly charge for a US number.
    Which is ~$6.50 with current exchange rates thanks to Brexit -- otherwise, it'd be a heck of a lot more than that!

Pick your poison.

Feedback Score
    If you're on the US website (which means you intend to get a US number), there's no monthly charge for the US number but there is an $8 monthly charge if you include a UK number.

If you're on the UK website, there's no monthly charge for the UK number but there's a £5 monthly charge for a US number.
    There's only one web site -- truphone.com, that's where truphone.co.uk re-directs.

If I try to order a SIM, I'm taken to this order page:
    https://myaccount.truphone.com/en-GB...stomizeProduct

I've tried on a couple of other computers, but each time I am directed to the "GB" page.

Once you arrive on the order page, there is a mouse-over drop-down menu on the top bar of the screen that defaults to UK/Eng and has a choice for "United States," but that choice doesn't appear in earlier screens.

I also notice that if I manually substitute US for GB in the URL, i.e.:

...I get the option of a base U.S. number, as you describe.

It's a bit cryptic, though I'm relieved to learn that the U.S.-based option still exists.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lineisbusy View Post
    There's only one web site -- truphone.com, that's where truphone.co.uk re-directs.

If I try to order a SIM, I'm taken to this order page:
    https://myaccount.truphone.com/en-GB...stomizeProduct

I've tried on a couple of other computers, but each time I am directed to the "GB" page.

Once you arrive on the order page, there is a mouse-over drop-down menu on the top bar of the screen that defaults to UK/Eng and has a choice for "United States," but that choice doesn't appear in earlier screens.

I also notice that if I manually substitute US for GB in the URL, i.e.:

...I get the option of a base U.S. number, as you describe.

It's a bit cryptic, though I'm relieved to learn that the U.S.-based option still exists.
    Start with a different browser which you haven't used to access Truphone.com, or clear all cookies in your browser (or if you know how, clear all truphone.com cookies). Then go to: https://www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

Feedback Score
    Does it have an esim capability?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidngenius View Post
    Does it have an esim capability?
    The prepaid SIM product can't be moved/set up as eSIM, but the data pass product can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    The prepaid SIM product can't be moved/set up as eSIM, but the data pass product can.
    Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Which time zone shows up in your Account Activity date/time stamps?

I'm in Chicago but have a New York phone number. I received a phone call at 12:10 pm today. The time stamp in my account activity is 3:10 pm. That's neither Chicago nor NY time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I think Truphone would work good for me. I like the free incoming calls and texts, and NO expiration. Let’s see if I’ve got this right though. It’s not going to be 4G LTE, but 3G? And it should function through 2022 when AT&T shuts down 3G? I don’t use data anyway (except on WiFi) so that won’t even figure in the mix.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    I think Truphone would work good for me. I like the free incoming calls and texts, and NO expiration. Let’s see if I’ve got this right though. It’s not going to be 4G LTE, but 3G? And it should function through 2022 when AT&T shuts down 3G? I don’t use data anyway (except on WiFi) so that won’t even figure in the mix.
    Just make absolutely sure that you have disabled cellular data on your phone because it can leak and end up costing you a lot of your balance.

Just background stuff on your phone can eat a lot of data before you know it.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast