Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Soon to try a FreeUp 4G LTE SIM: Cheapest new smartphone that will work with it?

Feedback Score

Soon to try a FreeUp 4G LTE SIM: Cheapest new smartphone that will work with it?

I just ordered a FreeUp 4G LTE SIM which runs on the AT&T network, so now I'm looking for the cheapest smartphone that will work with this new SIM. Any suggestions? My goal for this new SIM and phone is to have free talk and text service on a second phone in case my main phone craps out on me, and to use its number in craigslist ads so the general public cannot bother me at my main phone number.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    I just ordered a FreeUp 4G LTE SIM which runs on the AT&T network, so now I'm looking for the cheapest smartphone that will work with this new SIM. Any suggestions? My goal for this new SIM and phone is to have free talk and text service on a second phone in case my main phone craps out on me, and to use its number in craigslist ads so the general public cannot bother me at my main phone number.
    I just scored a Moto e4 unlocked for $30 on Walmart clearance, try Brickseek?

https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=333487562

Feedback Score
    Look at the AT&T Prepaid phones at Best Buy. E.g. LG Phoenix 3 - $25.

Feedback Score
    I just scored a Moto e4 unlocked for $30 on Walmart clearance, try Brickseek?
    I tried bricksee using my local zip code, but the nearest Walmart with the same $30 price is more than 50 miles away.

Feedback Score
    Look at the AT&T Prepaid phones at Best Buy. E.g. LG Phoenix 3 - $25.
    I just looked on the Best Buy website for this phone, and unfortunately the nearest Best Buy that has one in stock is 49 miles away. Dang, the Moto G4 is also 50 miles away. I don't seem to be having much luck finding any bargain/clearance phones nearby ...

Q: Are there any AT&T MVNO's that sell prepaid phones that would work with a FreeUp SIM? Or must I buy a branded AT&T prepaid phone if I go the prepaid route rather than the unlocked route?

Feedback Score
    I just looked on the Best Buy website for this phone, and unfortunately the nearest Best Buy that has one in stock is 49 miles away. Dang, the Moto G4 is also 50 miles away. I don't seem to be having much luck finding any bargain/clearance phones nearby ...

Q: Are there any AT&T MVNO's that sell prepaid phones that would work with a FreeUp SIM? Or must I buy a branded AT&T prepaid phone if I go the prepaid route rather than the unlocked route?
    Unlocked works.
    Usually prepaid AT&T phones are Cheaper.

Sent from my Monstrous Moto e5

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    LG Phoenix 4, $39.99. No regrets, worth it to get over the P3.

https://www.frys.com/product/9698473
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

Feedback Score

Yes, unfortunately the phones at BB are in-store only.

I don't know FreeUp personally, but, in general, AT&T MVNOs will work with AT&T and AT&T Prepaid phones without them being unlocked. I know they work on FreedomPop and Tracfone. AT&T compatible unlocked phones work too, but they are generally more expensive than AT&T Prepaid models.

There are a few AT&T Prepaid phones at Walmart the look like they can be shipped.

AT&T MVNOs do sell phones. Hit and miss what they offer.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post

https://www.frys.com/product/9698473
    Just fyi...That Fry's Phoenix 4 price is good only 4/23 and 4/24/19.

"(when purchased between 04/23/2019 and 04/24/2019) Price good Through 9:00 PM PST 04/24/2019"

Feedback Score
    I didn't think of this option earlier, but my wife is in another town many miles from here for the next few days. There's a Walmart in that town that *supposedly* (according to BrickSeek) still has at least one of those Moto4 phones on clearance for $30. I just asked her to buy one if they still have any in-stock, and she's going to check later today, so I will count myself lucky if I end up with one by the end of the week.

I do not really trust BrickSeek when it comes to reporting current inventory numbers in local stores, because I question whether or not they actually have access to such data. Obviously such data must be kept current if it is to be useful, and I cannot imagine how a site like BrickSeek can possibly access and maintain 'live' data such as this for so many items and stores.

:

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I didn't think of this option earlier, but my wife is in another town many miles from here for the next few days. There's a Walmart in that town that *supposedly* (according to BrickSeek) still has at least one of those Moto4 phones on clearance for $30. I just asked her to buy one if they still have any in-stock, and she's going to check later today, so I will count myself lucky if I end up with one by the end of the week.

I do not really trust BrickSeek when it comes to reporting current inventory numbers in local stores, because I question whether or not they actually have access to such data. Obviously such data must be kept current if it is to be useful, and I cannot imagine how a site like BrickSeek can possibly access and maintain 'live' data such as this for so many items and stores.

:
    I did have to ask the clerk to check the lock box for the unlocked models. Brickseek was right and Walmart.com was wrong, but of course ymmv. They has changed the store, moving the actual phones to a wireless shop next the CS desk at the front. Try there first instead of electronics at the back.

Any ATT branded phone such as their prepaid line should be fine with the Freeup sim. They used to call them Go Phones.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    BrickSeek does somehow have access to the inventory systems. A few times in the past few months, I checked immediately AFTER I purchased items from Walmart, and the count decreased immediately by the # of items I purchased.

Obviously, if the STORE inventory system is wrong, BS will simply reflect the store's wrong info.

Feedback Score
    My local Best Buy has this same phone on sale thru 4/27 for the same price. Maybe I'll drive over to my local Best Buy and look at it:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-lg-p...?skuId=6292036

Do you think this phone is worth $10 more than the Moto E4 my wife will try to get for me later today?

It's frustrating trying to compare Android smartphones these days! I should probably try to find a dumb phone that will work with the FreeUp SIM I've ordered. But now that I've had my iPhone 6 for a while, I think I might miss some smartphone capabilities if I go back to using a dumb phone ...

Feedback Score
    BrickSeek does somehow have access to the inventory systems. A few times in the past few months, I checked immediately AFTER I purchased items from Walmart, and the count decreased immediately by the # of items I purchased.
    Interesting. Maybe my wife will be able to get one of those Moto E4's after all. Hopefully she will have time to shop there later today, before someone else buys the last one!

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Just fyi...That Fry's Phoenix 4 price is good only 4/23 and 4/24/19.

"(when purchased between 04/23/2019 and 04/24/2019) Price good Through 9:00 PM PST 04/24/2019"
    Good catch. Ordered mine in February, has been 39.99 since.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast