Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: grandfather plan changes & cheap camera phone

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

grandfather plan changes & cheap camera phone

I have 2 questions.

I'm on the 5/$100 5Gb plan; boy wants to port his # out; whats going to happen? do I change to what it would have been something like 4/$80ish; will it change to current plans? What one? 4/$100 'unlimited' (3M max speed), something else?

Wife also needs a new phone; stylo 2 is crap; her biggest priority is needs great rear camera; and $200 max

Thoughts on what works with cricket? Honor 8x, p10 lite, ???
    Alcatel idol 3

Feedback Score
    Maybe idk but maybe you could switch the boy's line & add another phone. It's still the same $100 after all.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    Let the boy get his own service. He want's to be grown? Well that's part of it. Why should you pay extra?

You can get your wife whatever unlocked GMS phone she desires and SIM swap her SIM in to it. SIM too big? cut it down. SIM too small? get an adapter. The SIM and the service does not care so long as the device is compatible with the network.

Son doesn't want to loose his number? Then he gets to pay you to continue service on your plan or he gets a new number. Why should you pay extra because he wants the free ride to end?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
    I have 2 questions.

I'm on the 5/$100 5Gb plan; boy wants to port his # out; whats going to happen? do I change to what it would have been something like 4/$80ish; will it change to current plans? What one? 4/$100 'unlimited' (3M max speed), something else?

Wife also needs a new phone; stylo 2 is crap; her biggest priority is needs great rear camera; and $200 max

Thoughts on what works with cricket? Honor 8x, p10 lite, ???
    Porting out a number will automatically take you out of the grandfathered plan but I'm not really sure what price that would change you to. You could just switch the four over to the 4 for 100 unlimited at that point but that's a change you have to make you can't just assume it's going to switch to that automatically.

If you don't feel you need the unlimited and the five gigs will continue to work for you, then the best bet would be to have him just change numbers and keep his old number as a backup line.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 G930U (US Unlocked) Gold
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Question 1:
    According to the Cricket website you'll begin receiving the new Group Save discounts. You will no longer have the option for the grandfathered 5/$100. Your options will be (1) $50 discount total for 4 lines so if you continue w/your current option your bill will be 4/$110 or (2) 4/$100 (3 Mbps max speed) or (3) add another line for 5/$125 (3 mbps max speed). I don't see option 3 on the website but it's an option for me in the app.

Question 2:
    Personally, & from experience, I would go w/a Moto phone from Best Buy and buy a Cricket sim & refill card to get $50 off the phone. If you can catch the Moto X refurbished for $135 ($85 after discount) in stock that's the best option. Best hardware - includes NFC.
    Phones used - *Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989* *Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-I317* *Blu Studio 5.0 C HD* *Samsung Galaxy S5 Active SM-G870* *Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900* *Moto X Pure Edition* *Samsung Galaxy Note 4 N910C* *Samsung Galaxy S7 G930U*

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I'll figure out what new plan to look for.

As for any unlocked gsm phone, I found out there's more to it than that. Bands.

The boy bought a Huawei p10 lite unlocked, he has no high speed/lte at all. Probably 1 reason he wants to switch.

So is there a way to narrow down the search for band compatible phones too?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 G930U (US Unlocked) Gold
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

The boy bought a Huawei p10 lite unlocked, he has no high speed/lte at all. Probably 1 reason he wants to switch.

Motorola phones (unless carrier branded) are made for the option of using on all major networks (both GSM & CDMA) so they should have the correct bands. I think Cricket (AT&T) uses 2,4,5,12. bhphotovideo.com has a chart with all carriers & bands. Search the website for it. Then you can look at specs for a specific phone on that brand's website. I can confirm the Moto X4 works with LTE coverage. We have one. It will not get WiFi calling or VoLTE b/c Cricket doesn't allow that for Android phones that are not Cricket branded.

Sent from my SM-G930U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Don't buy garbage phones... S8 can be had used for around $200. S7 easily less. Both have virtually all bands.
    If you make any changes you lose that plan. SIM swap is not considered a change.
    Higher end Motorolla, Samsung, and HTC have almost every band. Qualcomm iPhones also. I keep my family on top end Galaxy phones. I upgrade every half cycle. S line then Note line. Wife doesn't like the Note size, so she only gets the S.

Feedback Score

He bought the wrong phone. Moving to TMobile isn't going to help either because he probably bought a version with all the wrong bands for the US..

Tell him return the phone and get one that has all the compatible LTE bands

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    For a $200 budget, Cricket has the iPhone 6s which is hard to beat for value. Excellent camera, operates the latest OS smoothly and holds it's value very well. Once unlocked, it's compatible with all the carriers GSM & CDMA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    For a $200 budget, Cricket has the iPhone 6s which is hard to beat for value. Excellent camera, operates the latest OS smoothly and holds it's value very well. Once unlocked, it's compatible with all the carriers GSM & CDMA.
    Requires port or upgrade. He's already a customer. Any changes to his plan will lose his discount.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    Requires port or upgrade. He's already a customer. Any changes to his plan will lose his discount.
    Upgrading a phone does not impact any plan changes.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Thoughts on the Nokia 3.1 + or the Moto g7 supra? both in her price range.

camera is more important than battery life

use is facebook, email, lite games (time killers)

Feedback Score
    Thoughts on the Nokia 3.1 + or the Moto g7 supra? both in her price range.

camera is more important than battery life

use is facebook, email, lite games (time killers)
    I'd buy an S7 or S8 on swappa. Both easily superior. Even the 4 year old S6 beats it in virtually every aspect. I wouldn't go S6 due to newer hardware and OS, but that phone was low end even last year when released.

Feedback Score
    If possible I would do the following:
    1 - Have your son get a NEW number with new service (metropcs might have the speed he is looking for). This way you keep the 5/$100
    2 - Order the Galaxy S9 that is on cricket right now for $275 + $55 cricket plan + **a $6 burner Tmobile # (the $55 gets credited to your account). I know you said your max as $200 but an S9 at half off should be pretty tempting.
    ** I have heard other people do this in order to get the port-in price on an existing phone.
    3 - Put your wife's sim card in the S9. And put your son's old sim in your wife's phone or another older phone. Then your son can let everyone know who calls/texts the old phone what his new number is for a while.
    4 - After this you could use the phone #/ sim for another line if you have someone who could use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast